Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Income Tax, Amend return ?

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I have heard from friends that my mother can amend her last three income taxes (ex: 2009,2010,2011) and add her daughter as dependent, my sister just became a LPR and did not live with her those three years, however she did provide full support for her overseas. Have anyone else her about this or know anything?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Belarus

In order for your sister to be a dependant on your mom's income tax, your sister has to either be a qualifying child or qualifying relative.

Below is a brief description of the two, I hope it helps answer your question:

Qualifying Children

To be claimed as a qualifying child, the person must meet four criteria:

Relationship — the person must be your child, step child, adopted child, foster child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (for example, a grandchild or nephew).

Residence — for more than half the year, the person must have the same residence as you do.

Age — the person must be

•under age 19 at the end of the year, or

•under age 24 and a be a full-time student for at least five months out of the year, or

•any age and totally and permanently disabled.

Support — the person did not provide more than half of his or her own support during the year.

Six Criteria for Qualifying Relatives

To be claimed as a qualifying relative, the person must meet all of the following criteria:

Not a qualifying child - The dependent cannot be a qualifying child of another taxpayer.

Gross Income – The dependent earns less than the personal exemption amount during the year. For 2011, this means the dependent earns less than $3,700.

Total Support – You provide more than half of the dependent's total support during the year.

Relationship – You are related to the dependent in certain ways.

Joint Return – If the dependent is married, the dependent cannot file a joint return with his or her spouse.

Citizenship – The dependent must be a citizen or resident alien of the United States, Canada, or Mexico.





Edited by Reyan

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...