user786

Should we process adjustment in Orlando,FL or in in Montreal, Canada

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

We have a very important question we need some help on.

Maybe some of you can answer it, and if not, maybe you can point us links to the resources we could use to help make our decision easier. I'll give you some background info as well to make it easier for you all to give accurate tips. Hopefully the info helps.....

BACKGROUND INFO

We were married in Canada in 1996

My wife is a Canadian born citizen

I am a Naturalized US citizen.

We have 3 US citizen children of our own

We filed I-130 and got approved very quickly.

We filed I-129F and already received a K3 visa from Montreal in March 2005.

We moved to Orlando, FL and are now living and working here.

My wife got her US drivers license, her EAD and her social security card already but she does not work.

We have not filed for adjusment of status as yet in Florida because I needed to get a financial co-sponsor due to my income not being sufficent.

Now I have a co-sponsor ready to file with us who is way above the requirements and she is a very close family friend .

The co-sponsor is a green card holder and the principal of a local publc school in Orlando.

Our K3 for my wife expires in March 2007.

NOW THE IMPORTANT STUFF

We received a letter from the NVC stating that we never sent them the paperwork to let them know if we will complete the processing of the I-130 in Montreal or if we will do the adjustment of status in Florida.

The letter says that one year has passed since we were approved and that the case will be closed on December 31st, 2006 if we do not reply to them about filing in Montreal or filing Adjustment of Status in Orlando, FL. They also said that we will need to repay fees as well and redo the paperwork if we want to continue the process now because one year has passed.

So, now we are READY to move forward and the co-sponsor is ready to move forward as well with whatever we need from her.

So our questions are:

1)Should we be worried about the letter we received ?

2)Are we in any kind of trouble yet ?

3)How do we find out if AOS in Orlando, FL will be a quicker process or if filing through Montreal, Canada will be quicker ? There is no problem for my wife to go back to Canada if needed to do the process in Canada and interview over there in Montreal. She actually would prefer to go spend some time in Canada with her parents and complete the filing over there BUT not if we can do AOS quicker in Orlando.

4)Also, what do we have to do in terms of paperwork now as the one year has passed since we got our initial I-130 approval ? We still have the initial I-130 approval notice and we also have the DS230 forms which we never sent back to them as yet to let them know if we will file in Montreal or AOS in Orlando.

5)Do we call the NVC on the phone to find out the process and what is needed ?

We need to move on this immediately because the letter said that the petition will be closed on December 31st, 2006 and her K3 visa in her passport says it wil expire in March 2007.

Any tips, advice, suggestions or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

I can give any further clarification as well if needed.

Thanks so much.

I-129f K3 Timeline

K3 APPROVED in Montreal, Canada on 03/03/2005

Moved to USA with K3 on 03/15/2005

I-130 / IR-1 Timeline

I-130 filed to TSC with NOA1 on 04/28/2004

I-130 transferred from TSC to CSC 10/22/2004

I-130 received at CSC 11/04/2004

I-130 APPROVED 12/02/2004

NOA2 received on 12/03/2004

Case transferred to NVC on 12/13/2004

Received DS-3032 and I864 Fee bill from NVC on 12/27/2004

Waiting to meet I-864 requirements

Contacted NVC for a new DS-3032 and I-864 fee bill on 10/17/2006

NVC generated new DS-3032 and AOS Fee Bill on 10/30/2006

Received DS-3032 and AOS Fee Bill on 11/03/2006

Sent in Choice of Agent by e-mail on 11/06/2006

Mailed in AOS Fee Bill on 11/06/2006

Received IV Fee bill and mailed it back on 11/13/2006

Received I-864 packet and also DS-230 IV Packet on 12/10/2006

Got a new RCMP police certificate on 12/29/2006

Mailed NVC the I-864 and the DS-230 on 01/03/2007

USPS Tracking shows NVC recieved on 01/04/2007

NVC official received date from phone representative is 01/12/2007

Got RFE for spouse maiden name on DS230 on 01/20/2007

Mailed in corrected DS230 by overnight mail 01/24/2007

USPS Tracking shows NVC recieved on 01/25/2007

Case complete at NVC 02/14/2007

Waiting on Montreal interview date for IR-1 visa

Filed: Timeline

user,

What have you done with the DS-3032 that the NVC sent you? You don't mention it in your post, yet that's the important item.

Check the USCIS web site for Orlando processing times. Also check the VJ timelines for people's experiences with both Orlando and Montreal.

Yodrak

Hi all,

Maybe some of you can answer it, and if not, maybe you can point us links to the resources we could use to help make our decision easier. I'll give you some background info as well to make it easier for you all to give accurate tips. Hopefully the info helps.....

BACKGROUND INFO

My wife got her US drivers license, her EAD and her social security card already but she does not work.

We have not filed for adjusment of status as yet in Florida because I needed to get a financial co-sponsor due to my income not being sufficent.

Now I have a co-sponsor ready to file with us who is way above the requirements and she is a very close family friend .

The co-sponsor is a green card holder and the principal of a local publc school in Orlando.

NOW THE IMPORTANT STUFF

We received a letter from the NVC stating that we never sent them the paperwork to let them know if we will complete the processing of the I-130 in Montreal or if we will do the adjustment of status in Florida.

The letter says that one year has passed since we were approved and that the case will be closed on December 31st, 2006 if we do not reply to them about filing in Montreal or filing Adjustment of Status in Orlando, FL. They also said that we will need to repay fees as well and redo the paperwork if we want to continue the process now because one year has passed.

So, now we are READY to move forward and the co-sponsor is ready to move forward as well with whatever we need from her.

So our questions are:

3)How do we find out if AOS in Orlando, FL will be a quicker process or if filing through Montreal, Canada will be quicker ? There is no problem for my wife to go back to Canada if needed to do the process in Canada and interview over there in Montreal. She actually would prefer to go spend some time in Canada with her parents and complete the filing over there BUT not if we can do AOS quicker in Orlando.

4)Also, what do we have to do in terms of paperwork now as the one year has passed since we got our initial I-130 approval ? We still have the initial I-130 approval notice and we also have the DS230 forms which we never sent back to them as yet to let them know if we will file in Montreal or AOS in Orlando.

We need to move on this immediately because the letter said that the petition will be closed on December 31st, 2006 and her K3 visa in her passport says it wil expire in March 2007.

Thanks so much.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks Yordak for the reply. We welcome any information.

We received the original DS-3032 from NVC over a year ago but we didn't send it back in because I was looking for a financial sponsor for the I-864 stuff.

So we still have the original DS-3032 here with us in the filing cabinet.

Should we send that original in to them or is there a possibility the barcode or something might have expired seeing that it is over a year old ?

Also the letter they sent us says that they will close the petition on December 31st, 2006 which doesn't give us much time at all. Does this mean that they need to get the DS-3032 by December 31st, 2006 or the DS-230 by that date ?

How can we speed things up if time is going to be a problem for us ?

Should we email the DS-3032 info to them instead of mailing ?

And back to the original question also, do we do AOS in Orlando, FL or do we do the processing in Montreal, Cananda ?

Thanks again.

We welcome help from all.

user,

What have you done with the DS-3032 that the NVC sent you? You don't mention it in your post, yet that's the important item.

Check the USCIS web site for Orlando processing times. Also check the VJ timelines for people's experiences with both Orlando and Montreal.

Yodrak

Hi all,

BACKGROUND INFO

NOW THE IMPORTANT STUFF

So our questions are:

Thanks so much.

I-129f K3 Timeline

K3 APPROVED in Montreal, Canada on 03/03/2005

Moved to USA with K3 on 03/15/2005

I-130 / IR-1 Timeline

I-130 filed to TSC with NOA1 on 04/28/2004

I-130 transferred from TSC to CSC 10/22/2004

I-130 received at CSC 11/04/2004

I-130 APPROVED 12/02/2004

NOA2 received on 12/03/2004

Case transferred to NVC on 12/13/2004

Received DS-3032 and I864 Fee bill from NVC on 12/27/2004

Waiting to meet I-864 requirements

Contacted NVC for a new DS-3032 and I-864 fee bill on 10/17/2006

NVC generated new DS-3032 and AOS Fee Bill on 10/30/2006

Received DS-3032 and AOS Fee Bill on 11/03/2006

Sent in Choice of Agent by e-mail on 11/06/2006

Mailed in AOS Fee Bill on 11/06/2006

Received IV Fee bill and mailed it back on 11/13/2006

Received I-864 packet and also DS-230 IV Packet on 12/10/2006

Got a new RCMP police certificate on 12/29/2006

Mailed NVC the I-864 and the DS-230 on 01/03/2007

USPS Tracking shows NVC recieved on 01/04/2007

NVC official received date from phone representative is 01/12/2007

Got RFE for spouse maiden name on DS230 on 01/20/2007

Mailed in corrected DS230 by overnight mail 01/24/2007

USPS Tracking shows NVC recieved on 01/25/2007

Case complete at NVC 02/14/2007

Waiting on Montreal interview date for IR-1 visa

Filed: Timeline

user,

You've got to figure out the answer to the original question yourself - it's your life.

When you do figure it out, fill out the DS-3032 accordingly and send it back to the NVC.

Yodrak

Thanks Yordak for the reply. We welcome any information.

We received the original DS-3032 from NVC over a year ago but we didn't send it back in because I was looking for a financial sponsor for the I-864 stuff.

So we still have the original DS-3032 here with us in the filing cabinet.

And back to the original question also, do we do AOS in Orlando, FL or do we do the processing in Montreal, Cananda ?

Thanks again.

We welcome help from all.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You've picked two of the longest lines in the system. I suggest you do as Yodrak wrote and start comparing AOS in Orlando timelines to MTL IV interview dates (including NVC time).

It's very much an individual decision.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

As a follow-up Q to Y or M or other knowledgeable VJers: Would his wife's permanent residency start AFTER the I-485 gets processed? Just wondering if that would be a factor compared to getting it immediately after the IR-1 was issued?

One thing to note: It seems like the wait time for CR-1 / IR-1 interviews is much shorter than for K-1 & K-3.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
As a follow-up Q to Y or M or other knowledgeable VJers: Would his wife's permanent residency start AFTER the I-485 gets processed? Just wondering if that would be a factor compared to getting it immediately after the IR-1 was issued?

One thing to note: It seems like the wait time for CR-1 / IR-1 interviews is much shorter than for K-1 & K-3.

Permanent Residencey is granted at the approval of an I-485 (generally after an interview, but the iview can be waived) OR when entering the US with an Immigrant Visa.

MTL has a notoriously long interview queue for the Immigrant Visa appointments.

Orlando has a notoriously long wait for AOs interviews.

Note that the OP beneficiary is already in the US and must do one or the other of these two, and by a certain deadline.

I think I know what I would do, and it involves travel.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Thanks! :)

I'm going the MTL route (though granted, I don't have to start the I-130 paperwork from scratch). Memphis isn't as far behind as Orlando is, but it's bad enough.

Edited by girl 37

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.