BJZags

Most marketable degree for the Philippines?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm not sure how it is for guys but for girls just get them a passport and they can sign up with an overseas agency to be a domestic helper, nanny or restaurant worker and they can leave in a month or so. They will be making more money than a teacher or nurse in PI. No need for a degree. I wouldn't really wish that life on anybody but it is better than sitting

at home with no job. they have a college to become a seaman, that was the first choice of the kid I sent to college but he was color blind

Edited by Dan and Judy

I wouldn't really wish that life on anybody but it is better than sitting at home with no job.

Are you sure about that? The hope is to theoretically "better" them with an education, not sure sending them into slavery is the "better" I had in mind.

my blog: http://immigrationlawreformblog.blogspot.com/

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

-- Charles M. Province

Filed: Timeline

Are you sure about that? The hope is to theoretically "better" them with an education, not sure sending them into slavery is the "better" I had in mind.

Or rape, or imprisonment. Many of those overseas jobs are in countries where foreigners have no rights, and women have even less. Even in some of the more "enlightened" Asian countries, Filipino workers are poorly treated, and Filipino women more so, from just pure spite. The promise of higher wages is not always realized, as many restaurant and hotel workers have found out, in Canada, and even in the US. Contracts are not enforced, and in both countries, authorities tend to look the other way.

There are opportunities in the Philippines, but that means working in some of the less developed areas, not as fashionable as working in Makati or Pasig.

Edited by ☼

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yeah, I'm sure it is better than sitting at home without a job.

There are horror stories about girls marrying foreigners also, including Americans but in general they are better off when they do it.

Judy just had a Filipino movie about a teacher who had seniority who quit her job to go be a caregiver in England because it paid more money.

I'm not saying that because it's in a movie that it is a good idea but apparently it is understood that the money is there.

If you told me that I could double my salary by going to Saudi Arabia and doing laundrey, I'm going to be tempted.

If my choice is unemployment here or double my current salary over there, I'm leaving on a jet plane (don't know when I'll be back again)

I spoke to a Filipina in Singapore who was being a nanny 6 days a week and sending money back to here kids and ex husband in PI.

I don't envy her, but it was her choice to provide for her kids.

I spoke to a Filipina in Canada who was woking in fast food and making about $10 an hour. She lived in a communal house with about 6 more Filipinas.

She left a baby behind.

You can equate going overseas to slavery

You can equate working for $3 a day in PI (as Judy did) to slavery)

also going to school for 4 years and then considering yourself lucky to make $6 a day could be equated to slavery

Sometimes making $60,000 a year can feel like slavery

Outside of the extreme terrible things that can happen, I'd say being split up from the family is the big downside.

Edited by Dan and Judy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.