eliarreola2012

Do I need a Co-sponsor I-864?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Dominican Republic
Timeline

Hello Everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this.

I am a naturalized U.S. Citizen applying for my mother. I am about to file the I-864 and not sure if I need a co-sponsor. Here are my doubts:

For the tax year 2011 I made $20,000- I am a PhD student currently so I am poor :(

I live by myself but in my taxes I always claim my mother and sister (they live in Mexico).

In my tax return for 2011 (IRS form 1040) says 3 exemptions meaning 2 dependents and me. My sister just got a good job in Mexico so I will not be claiming her anymore and she could give me a letter saying she is not my dependent anymore.

Another thing is that my mother THE BENEFICIARY here for the visa, is retired and she receives about $800.00 dollars from her pension a month and she also has about $200,000 dollars worth of property in her name, does that help at all?

Lastly my cousin or uncle (both citizens and making more than enough money) can help me file as a co-sponsors (only one of course).

So do I need them?

Or can I file by myself and with my mom's assets in Mexico and her pension would qualify us?

Thank you,

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hello Everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this.

I am a naturalized U.S. Citizen applying for my mother. I am about to file the I-864 and not sure if I need a co-sponsor. Here are my doubts:

For the tax year 2011 I made $20,000- I am a PhD student currently so I am poor :(

I live by myself but in my taxes I always claim my mother and sister (they live in Mexico).

In my tax return for 2011 (IRS form 1040) says 3 exemptions meaning 2 dependents and me. My sister just got a good job in Mexico so I will not be claiming her anymore and she could give me a letter saying she is not my dependent anymore.

Another thing is that my mother THE BENEFICIARY here for the visa, is retired and she receives about $800.00 dollars from her pension a month and she also has about $200,000 dollars worth of property in her name, does that help at all?

Lastly my cousin or uncle (both citizens and making more than enough money) can help me file as a co-sponsors (only one of course).

So do I need them?

Or can I file by myself and with my mom's assets in Mexico and her pension would qualify us?

Thank you,

You need a Joint Sponsor.

Your household count is 3. Since you claimed your sister on your 2011 tax return, the US Embassy/Consulate will count her. A statement from her at this point is pretty much self-serving; USCIS will believe that you still support her and the letter from her is only so you can meet the poverty line to petition for your mother.

You cannot use the intending immigrant's assets to meet the I-864 obligation.

You will need either your cousin or uncle to be a Joint Sponsor.

Filed: Country: Dominican Republic
Timeline

You need a Joint Sponsor.

Your household count is 3. Since you claimed your sister on your 2011 tax return, the US Embassy/Consulate will count her. A statement from her at this point is pretty much self-serving; USCIS will believe that you still support her and the letter from her is only so you can meet the poverty line to petition for your mother.

You cannot use the intending immigrant's assets to meet the I-864 obligation.

You will need either your cousin or uncle to be a Joint Sponsor.

Thanks for your quick answer :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.