3 posts in this topic

Ok, here goes...my first post.

Me and my husband went on our "removal of conditions" interview on 4/3 (one of the chosen, unfortunately) and it was kind of a weird interview to me. I'm getting a lil ahead of myself, so I'll explain.

When we got there, we realized that a lot of the couples were being separated and interviewed, so we said to ourselves that we would probably have to do the same. We weren't worried, since we ARE married for real. Anyway, we were the last couple to be called and because we expected to go in separately (although no one actually told us that), my husband didn't get up to follow me into the room when the interviewer called my name. Half way down the hall way she asked where he was, so I just laughed and said he probably thought you only wanted to see me since you called MY name. I went back out to get him and we all entered her office. She swore us in and asked us to take a seat. She asked if I brought any other documents other that the ones submitted when I filed and I gave her what I had.

She immediately went into asking questions:

wedding anniversary

birth dates

place of work

place of birth

rental amount

pictures

etc...can't remember all of them, but they were things we knew and could answer without thinking.

One thing we were worried about was that he never changed his address at his job so his W2s were addressed to his old address although they never mailed them, it was handed to him every year. I kept reminding him to change it, but since it only comes up once a year at tax time, I myself forget to nag him to do it. We were truthful and he explained to her the reason. She didn't look too please, but that was the only thing she had a problem with. As she was looking at the pics, she asked me if that's all I brought and I told her I didn't think they would want to see the whole album so I brought pics spanning different periods in our relationship. She seemed to be satisfied with the answer, since the evidence was in front of her. I even made a joke that the pics of me where I seem fat are the old ones. She told me I wasn't fat and my husband jumped in and said he tells me that I'm not fat but I seem to believe so. We all laughed. She went on to ask my hubby about his job, since the ID he presented was his license for his profession.

After he final questions, she told me that I could gather my ID and pics and asked if she could keep the rest of the stuff. I said yes and started putting the other things back in my folder. As I was doing that, she kept talking, but I was so nervous that I was more focused on getting my things together. I "think" I heard her say "I am approving your greencard, it will be in the mail in 2-3 weeks, but I haven't updated it in the system as yet." (assuming she said that just incase we wanted to check on the USCIS website). She gave me a paper that said no other evidence needed, but that they are going to review the evidence they have and I will receive an answer shortly. I got that same paper on my first interview before we got the conditional card, so I knew what it meant. We said our goodbyes and left.

That's the part that confused me. If we are approved, when why give us that piece of paper and not stamp my passport? Now I'm worried beyond belief!!!

I had to keep asking my husband if she said I was approved, and he seem to have heard the same thing I did. He keeps telling me not to worry and to just wait, exactly what we've been doing all these years. You'd think I would have gotten used to it, but when your'e approaching the end, and you can see the finish line, but makes you more nervous hoping that nothing is gonna jeopardize your victory.

Well, that's my story.

I don't exactly remember dates, but I'll put what I can remember.

I-130/I-485:

5/08 - married

6/08 -filled paperwork

9/09 - RFE

5/09 - interview

5/09 - green card printed

6/09 - green card received

I-751:

3/11 - filed paperwork

4/11 - received 1 year extension letter

11/11 - RFE

4/12 - interview

N-400 Timeline:

03/27/15 - Packet sent to Dallas

03/30/15 - Packet delivered

04/01/15 - Received text and email notification of application acceptance

04/02/15 - Check cashed

04/06/15 - Received NOA of packet acceptance via mail

04/18/15 - Received NOA for Biometric via mail

04/30/15 - Biometric completed

05/04/15 - Received email notification: "in line for interview"

05/14/15 - Received email notification: "interview has been scheduled"

05/22/15 - Received NOA for Interview via mail

07/10/15 - "Recommended for approval" at interview

07/21/15 - Received email notification: Oath ceremony scheduled

07/24/15 - Received NOA for Oath Ceremony via mail

08/20/15 - Oath Ceremony

Passport & Passport Card Application Timeline:

08/21/15 - Submitted Passport Application

08/26/15 - Check cashed

08/26/15 - Received email with Application Locator Number

09/11/15 - Received Passport via mail

09/14/15 - Received Passport Card & Naturalization Certificate via mail

If she said you are approved, you are. The paper is standard, given to everyone so that doesn't tell you much. They rarely stamp passports anymore so don't worry about that.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Filed: Timeline

Ok, here goes...my first post.

Me and my husband went on our "removal of conditions" interview on 4/3 (one of the chosen, unfortunately) and it was kind of a weird interview to me. I'm getting a lil ahead of myself, so I'll explain.

When we got there, we realized that a lot of the couples were being separated and interviewed, so we said to ourselves that we would probably have to do the same. We weren't worried, since we ARE married for real. Anyway, we were the last couple to be called and because we expected to go in separately (although no one actually told us that), my husband didn't get up to follow me into the room when the interviewer called my name. Half way down the hall way she asked where he was, so I just laughed and said he probably thought you only wanted to see me since you called MY name. I went back out to get him and we all entered her office. She swore us in and asked us to take a seat. She asked if I brought any other documents other that the ones submitted when I filed and I gave her what I had.

She immediately went into asking questions:

wedding anniversary

birth dates

place of work

place of birth

rental amount

pictures

etc...can't remember all of them, but they were things we knew and could answer without thinking.

One thing we were worried about was that he never changed his address at his job so his W2s were addressed to his old address although they never mailed them, it was handed to him every year. I kept reminding him to change it, but since it only comes up once a year at tax time, I myself forget to nag him to do it. We were truthful and he explained to her the reason. She didn't look too please, but that was the only thing she had a problem with. As she was looking at the pics, she asked me if that's all I brought and I told her I didn't think they would want to see the whole album so I brought pics spanning different periods in our relationship. She seemed to be satisfied with the answer, since the evidence was in front of her. I even made a joke that the pics of me where I seem fat are the old ones. She told me I wasn't fat and my husband jumped in and said he tells me that I'm not fat but I seem to believe so. We all laughed. She went on to ask my hubby about his job, since the ID he presented was his license for his profession.

After he final questions, she told me that I could gather my ID and pics and asked if she could keep the rest of the stuff. I said yes and started putting the other things back in my folder. As I was doing that, she kept talking, but I was so nervous that I was more focused on getting my things together. I "think" I heard her say "I am approving your greencard, it will be in the mail in 2-3 weeks, but I haven't updated it in the system as yet." (assuming she said that just incase we wanted to check on the USCIS website). She gave me a paper that said no other evidence needed, but that they are going to review the evidence they have and I will receive an answer shortly. I got that same paper on my first interview before we got the conditional card, so I knew what it meant. We said our goodbyes and left.

That's the part that confused me. If we are approved, when why give us that piece of paper and not stamp my passport? Now I'm worried beyond belief!!!

I had to keep asking my husband if she said I was approved, and he seem to have heard the same thing I did. He keeps telling me not to worry and to just wait, exactly what we've been doing all these years. You'd think I would have gotten used to it, but when your'e approaching the end, and you can see the finish line, but makes you more nervous hoping that nothing is gonna jeopardize your victory.

Well, that's my story.

I don't exactly remember dates, but I'll put what I can remember.

I-130/I-485:

5/08 - married

6/08 -filled paperwork

9/09 - RFE

5/09 - interview

5/09 - green card printed

6/09 - green card received

I-751:

3/11 - filed paperwork

4/11 - received 1 year extension letter

11/11 - RFE

4/12 - interview

Sometimes the officer will tell you that they are recommending approval, but then give you something saying the case is under review. It might mean that the officer doesn't have the power to approve on the spot (or just wants to look everything over again), but it will get rubber stamped approved shortly after.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.