TallCowboy0614

Children's names on form I-751

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Bolivia
Timeline

Hi all,

I am in the process of filling out and submitting a ROC packet for my wife, and have a question about the children's names section of the form.

The overall situation is that my wife's green card (conditional) expires in May, but my two stepkids came later than she did and so thiers don't expire until December.

On my wife's form I-751, I assume I need to include the kids' names, since they ARE here with us and DO have green cards, but I don't want USCIS to think I am also asking to remove the kids' conditional status yet. I know I have to file separately for each of them later. I am just trying to avoid confusing the issue on my wife's ROC process.

I plan to list the kids and where it asks for thier status, just but they are conditional and their conditional status expires on such-and-such a date (December). Then in my cover letter I plan to add a paragraph explaining that I know I have to do the kids' ROC's later, and this one is only for my wife.

I can find no discussions nor example forms that directly address this situation. Do any of you have similar experiences you can use to help me out? I guess most people come at the same time as the kids, so that is why there is a lack of specific guidance for my situation.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That sounds exactly right. You do need to list all of the children, since there is nowhere - either on the instructions or the form itself - that says anything other than "List all children". And next to their names, you put their statuses, just as the form asks.

The explanatory paragraph in the cover letter is a good strategy - that is the correct place to explain anything you think might be unclear from the form and documents. But I don't think you need to worry - they won't accidentally start RoC on someone whose window hasn't hit yet.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: IR-2 Country: Bolivia
Timeline
...But I don't think you need to worry - they won't accidentally start RoC on someone whose window hasn't hit yet.

I was more worried they would delay my wife's ROC because they think I need to pay or provide info on the kids. Thanks for making me feel more at ease anyway...I will proceed as planned.

Too bad minor kids still need a separate ROC form from Mom's...oh well, that is how they earn their money I suppose ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.