Jump to content

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I just need to know if this will cause a problem. I filed my AOS but my name is not changed to my husbands name I used my maiden name when I signed the documents. Not that I dint want to change it its that I did not think I can sign the papers with my new name even though my DL has my maiden name and so does my SSN. The reason I have not changed my name on my DL / SSN is because right now Im out of status so I cannot change my name without showing proof of my legal status over here. Anyone with a similar issue???? Let me know whats up

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Timeline

All it means is that your Greencard willbe issued in your Maiden name if you are approved at interview...

You could ask if you can change it all to your married name when you go to the interview but I dont know if that will work...

You should have completed the forms in the name you wanted to use.... your marriage certificate is the proof that you have changed your name....

Hope it works out for you


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my interview on 10/02/06. I filled my papers out on my maiden name too. Hovewer, I got my DL on my husbands name. When I went to the interview the officer asked if I want my maiden name or my husband name on my green card. I said I want to use my husbands name and he just changed it. He did not give me any problems. He chcecked my "new name" on the computer and that was it. If I were you I would try to change my name on the interview.


17 June 2005- entered US on tourist visa, I came to visit my boyfriend. We hadn't seen each other for 9 months.

18 November 2005- We got married!!!

8 December 2005- we sent I-485 package to Chicago

16 December 2005- notice date for I-485, I-130, I-765

28 December 2005- biometrics appointment letter

11 January 2006-biometrics done

1 April 2006- finally got EAD

7 April 2006- applied for SSN

6 May 2006- SSN arrived

26 June 2006- got my driver's license

17 August 2006- got my interview letter!!!!

02 October 2006 11:30- we had an interview and we were approved!!!

07 October 2006- I got my Welcome Notice

14 October 2006- Permanent Resident Card Arrived!!!

12 July 2008- I-751 sent

17 July 2008-check cashed

19 July 2008-NOA from VSC

8 August 2008- biometrics appointment letter arrived

9 August 2008- request for rescheduling sent

4 September 2008-biometrics

25 February 2009-case transferred to CSC

19 June 2009- Green Card arrived !!!

No USCIS for the next 10 years!

" This is all

that I know

of love...

that it begins

and ends

with you."


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Timeline

Once you have your EAD card or I-551 (stamp or card) you can apply for a corrected SSN card.

Only the marriage document (foreign or domestic) is needed if it meets the following criteria:

-- The new name can be derived from the marriage document, i.e. bride takes the groom's last name, groom takes bride's last name, compound name (with or without hyphen) of each spouse's original name for either or both parties.

-- The marriage document shows sufficient identifying information (e.g., biographical data such as age, date of birth or parent's names), and

-- The identifying information matches the information on his/her current Social Security number record.

The applicant will need to submit an identity document in the old name along with the marriage document if:

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years and has biographical information, e.g., age, date of birth or parent's names which does not match our records, e.g., the SSN record.

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years, but does not show biographical information

The identity document used to establish the old name must match the name on the current SSN record. The identity document is acceptable even if over two years old or expired.

This is in addition to proof of current lawful employment authorized status.

You can find detailed information regarding changing SSN record (Numident) data on the SSA Website at:


When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA will not accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

“If the applicant has no immediate need for the SSN and the translation can be done promptly or the foreign language document is the only evidence available; have the document translated by an authorized translator and use the document as evidence.”

“If the applicant has a pressing need for an SSN, and evidence other than the foreign language document is available; request other evidence and process the application without the foreign language document.”

RM 00203.040 Reviewing SSN Evidence:


GN 00301.340 Authorized Translators Defined:


The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are now based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative probative value of documents.

Any document used to establish identity must meet the following criteria:

-- The document provides information the reviewer can compare with the data on the form SS-5 (e.g., the person's name, as well as age, date of birth, or parents' names) and/or

-- The document provides information the reviewer can compare with the applicant (e.g., physical description, photograph).

NOTE: A non-picture identity document should have the person's name as well as information that can be compared to the SSN record, the applicant or other documents submitted (e.g., age, date of birth, or parents' names).

However, the acceptability of an identity document must be evaluated on a case by case basis by the office processing the application, taking into consideration the applicant's situation and exploring what evidence is available for the person.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that establishes identity on the SSA Website at:


SSA will not accept an application filing receipt or notice of action as proof of current lawful employment authorized status.

Take the required documents, to the nearest Social Security office.

You can obtain the address and directions to the nearest Social Security office from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet at:


Normally, an SSN card should be received in the mail within two weeks after the application and document(s) have been received and verified.

When an alien requests an SSN or replacement/corrected SSN card, SSA will verify his or her documents and current status with the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security. If verification is not available through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA will send Form G-845 for manual verification.

RM 00203.720 Verifying Immigration Documents:


If the SSA office does send the G-845, suggest that you go back to the SSA office no more that once week with your documents to (1) ask them to check SAVE again (2) ask if they sent a G-845 (3) if yes, did it come back (4) after 30 days ask if they have followed up on the G-845 by calling or sending another mark “second request.”


RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE

You can try calling the SSA Regional Office if you have waited at least 30 days and your local SSA office doesn't seem to be concerned about following up on the G-845


Refer them to:


RM 00203.740 Requesting Additional (Manual) Verification By DHS

Step 6

DHS should respond to SSA within 15 federal work days after receiving the Form G-845. If DHS does not respond within 15 federal work days from the receipt of the G-845 from SSA, follow-up with the DHS, USCIS Immigration Status office. (Allow 15 days plus five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS. Follow local practice to follow-up with DHS.

Some SSA offices have an arrangement with the DHS, USCIS office to telephone for the follow-up contact; other SSA offices send a copy of the original G-845 annotated “second request.”) If the DHS response is still not received within 15 federal work days after the follow-up contact (if the follow-up is by mail allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), make a second follow-up contact. If the DHS response is not received within 15 federal workdays (again, if the follow-up is by mail, allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), after two follow-ups, contact the Regional Office (RO). Also report to the RO any trend that shows a serious deviation by DHS from the above time frames. The RO will consult with central office.

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the Form SS-5.


If you only wanted to change the name on you SSN record you could do that now if your marriage certificate has your age or date of birth. Then ask for an SSN Verification Printout. The Printout will give you some proof of the name change until you can be issue a card. Then you only need to apply for a replacement card, since the SSN record has already been corrected.


RM 00203.510 Alien without Work Authorization - Nonwork Need for an SSN


4. Correcting Numident Data When a Replacement Card Cannot Be Issued

If the alien does not provide evidence of work authorization or a valid nonwork reason, explain that no replacement card can be issued.

Although a replacement card cannot be issued, the Numident can be corrected if the alien has provided documentation supporting the change (e.g., a name change).

If the alien provides documentation supporting the change, process the SS-5 to update the Numident information but suppress the issuance of a card. (suppress issuance of the card, and see RM 00202.320 for providing SSN Verification Printouts.)

In any case DO NOT DO NOT let them have your old SSN card until you receive the new one. Say the dog ate it. You don't have to give it to them no matter what they say.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...