Laura_and_IanM

Drivers lisence and Insurance...

2 posts in this topic

Ian is wanting to know from all of you that have already gone over to the US, if he can get car insurance right away on just his lisence.....or does he have to get a NY lisence first before he can even get insurance?? How does it work because we will need to buy a car right away. Any advice would be cool...THanks in advance...

LJ and Ian

Love is not an EMOTION or FEELING....

That if made from the heart...will outlast ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING!!!!

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117 (shortcuts)

TIMELINE

04/29/2006......MARRIED MY VERY OWN CLOWN WOOOHOOOO

Now we are through with immigration until the end of 2008. Please read my timeline to see our process. Remember, patience is a beatuiful thing if you can remember to keep it...I will be damned if we did lol. We are all here on this site for the same reason...lets all help one another...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Well, my husband's license is from Algeria, and there's no reciprocation in my state for an Algerian license, so he has to get a U.S. license before he can drive.

The requirement in my state is to have proof of insurance prior to applying for the license, so last week I changed my insurance and put him on the policy. In the application, there is a stipulation for driving with a foreign driver's license, so I put that on there. It's an extra monthly surcharge, but once he gets his U.S. license, I can change it, and the rate will go down.

I'm assuming that if your husband wants to drive on his U.K. license for a while, this would be the case as well. You'd have to check the requirements from the DMV in your state to see how long he'd be able to drive on a UK license before he has to apply for a U.S. license.

Oh, I used Progressive insurance. Hope that helps!

Edited by MHandMB

4/15/06- Visa in hand!!!

4/21/06 Arrival in U.S.

5/11/06 Legal Marriage

11/4/06 Wedding

AOS

6/12/06 AOS, EAD, and AP papers sent off

6/26/06 NOA1 Date

7/17/06 Biometrics done

8/04/06 Case transferred to CSC

8/8/06 Case received at CSC

9/21/06 Greencard received!!!!