Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

EAD Question

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Other Country: Canada

I was just wondering, assuming my fiancee and I actually do the K1 visa (and don't go ahead and get married elsewhere and then just do a K3 or an IR1/CR1), is there a way to speed up the EAD? Not the temporary EAD, which for all intents and purposes is rather useless.

The EAD's processing time is the major obstacle in our path regarding the K1. My fiancee can't be out of work for three-to-six months, or possibly longer. We simply can't afford it. I'll be a graduate student, and going to class full-time. I could possibly work part-time, but that wouldn't be enough to cover the bills. I'm pretty sure I could get my Dad to sign the Affidavit of Support for us, in order to get my fiancee over here to the U.S. from Canada. However, I sincerely doubt he'll want to prop us up for half a year or more--as it is, he's already paying for my school tuition and quite possibly my auto insurance. To ask him to use his resources for our living expenses would be too much, as he's already spending a great deal to help us out.

What if my fiancee had a job offer? Would that speed up the processing time of the EAD?

Basically, what we need is the quickest route to elligibility for employment. I realize there might be people ahead of us, and that's fine. First come, first serve. But if there's any way possible to decrease the waiting period, then by all means, please...let us know!

Thanks! :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Basically, what we need is the quickest route to elligibility for employment.

"Quickest" is so relative. :(

An Immigrant Visa will have him enter the US and be work authorized immediately. Of course to get to that, you first get married and then wait about 9 months for the visa, so you're separated during that time.

Other alternates are work-specific visas. I think there would be an issue with a TN visa, since the Canadian already has immigrant intent. The H1-Bs are backed up etc etc.

Another idea is to simply save up and wait, then hope for the best in a 4 month K-1/marriage/EAD application scenario.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...