Paul123

I-134 questions

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone..A few questions on the I134 that I need help with..Im trying to figure this all out so I can explain it to my co-sponsor.

1) Ive read on here that the appropriate response for question 11 is N/A (k1 visa for permanent residence)

My question is, why? At what time does an answer for this question become applicable?

2) is it okay to leave the savings, stocks, and bonds part blank if income is sufficient? or do you need to put zeros or N/A in the blanks.

3)why are 3 copies needed? For personal record or will they come into play later?

4) Is it true that consulates dont accept more than one co-sponsor for more than 1 person anymore? I thought about getting another co-sponsor with my initial one because he lives in a different state but I dont think it really matters, Brazil doesnt seem to be anything like nam or the phillipines and hes also my cousin which is a family member anyways.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

1. See: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&p=391355

3. Good question. I only had 2 sets of the I-134 "package". Original documents, if I had them, and copies if applicable in one and another set with everything copied.

4. I'm not sure I understand why you want to get another co-sponsor (besides the one you already have). It doesn't matter where the co-sponsor lives, as long as they're USCs or LPRs.

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: Timeline

Paul123,

1) Because up until the last re-printing of the I-134, Q11 had a parenthetical note saying to answer only if the visa applicant would be in the USA temporarily. The note is gone but the consequence of it lingers on.

2) You only have to reveal the financial information about yourself that you want to reveal. The decision will be made based on what you chose to provide. The question is applicable so an 'N/A' repsonse is not really appropriate, but I think they'll catch your drift if that's the answer you provide.

3) I don't know that 3 copies are required. I gave my wife 1 to submit to the consulate and I kept another for myself.

4) Anymore? I suppose your fiancee can offer up as many sponsors as you can muster for her, and the consular officer can work with however many of them he choses.

Yodrak

Hi everyone..A few questions on the I134 that I need help with..Im trying to figure this all out so I can explain it to my co-sponsor.

1) Ive read on here that the appropriate response for question 11 is N/A (k1 visa for permanent residence)

My question is, why? At what time does an answer for this question become applicable?

2) is it okay to leave the savings, stocks, and bonds part blank if income is sufficient? or do you need to put zeros or N/A in the blanks.

3)why are 3 copies needed? For personal record or will they come into play later?

4) Is it true that consulates dont accept more than one co-sponsor for more than 1 person anymore? I thought about getting another co-sponsor with my initial one because he lives in a different state but I dont think it really matters, Brazil doesnt seem to be anything like nam or the phillipines and hes also my cousin which is a family member anyways.

Edited by Yodrak

Thank you both for your responses. I think I will just use one sponsor. I dont know where I read that I needed 3 notarized i-134s, probably obscured info since its recommended that we make 2 copies of the I129f petition. Should I get the copy notarized too? I guess it would help in case the initial one got lost or something.

Edited by Paul123

Timeline

You'll need one original of the I-134 signed and notarized and provide original supporting documents (when available). Then have a copy of the set of documents. I-134 says you have to submit documents in duplicate. Also, remember: Rio asks sponsors to be 125% above the poverty guidelines. And even though one's not self-employed, they'll very much likely ask for tax returns (and W-2s).

Edited by Mew

Timeline (incompleta)

Mew,

I think that's an obsolete instruction. I don't recall anyone posting that they were required by the interviewing consular officer to submit 2 copies of the documentation. I know I didn't, and wasn't asked to (acknowledging that different consulates can have different ideas about things like this).

Yodrak

..... I-134 says you have to submit documents in duplicate. ....

Timeline
Mew,

I think that's an obsolete instruction. I don't recall anyone posting that they were required by the interviewing consular officer to submit 2 copies of the documentation. I know I didn't, and wasn't asked to (acknowledging that different consulates can have different ideas about things like this).

Yodrak

..... I-134 says you have to submit documents in duplicate. ....

Instructions on I-134 read: "The sponsor must submit in duplicate evidence of income and resources, as appropriate: ..."

I had a set of original documents (some of them were "original copies"). The consular officer kept the copies and returned the originals (in this case, the originals were copies of tax return and W-2).

Timeline (incompleta)

Thanks again, Mew and Yodrak, for your insight. I guess its better to be safe than sorry and have an original and have a photo copy made. I thought all consulates required the sponsor to be 125 percent above the poverty line unless he or she served in the armed forces. Or is that for AOS and different rules apply for the I134 submitted to the consulates?

Mew, earlier you mentioned a photocopy of the birth certificate would work for my co-sponsor. Could they request to see his original at the interview like they can with ours?

Paul,

The FAM tells consular officers that the financial requirements for immigrants as embodied in the I-864 do not apply, and in particular that 100%, rather than 125%, of poverty level does apply as the minimum income requirement.

But it also tells the consular officers that they need to consider a number of factors in making their determination, and it seems that there is plenty of leeway for a consular officer to decide that a minimum income is not sufficient to satisfy him that the visa applicant will not become a public charge.

A consular or USCIS officer can ask at any time to see the original of a photocopied document to verify the authenticity of the photocopy.

Yodrak

Thanks again, Mew and Yodrak, for your insight. I guess its better to be safe than sorry and have an original and have a photo copy made. I thought all consulates required the sponsor to be 125 percent above the poverty line unless he or she served in the armed forces. Or is that for AOS and different rules apply for the I134 submitted to the consulates?

Mew, earlier you mentioned a photocopy of the birth certificate would work for my co-sponsor. Could they request to see his original at the interview like they can with ours?

Edited by Yodrak

Timeline

Yodrak,

I'm pretty sure Rio asks for 125% - even if FAM tells consular officer that 100% is required. Some other VJers and I have had our interviews recently and we have been able to confirm that information by e-mailing the consulate, as we were concerned about that.

Paul,

The FAM tells consular officers that the financial requirements for immigrants as embodied in the I-864 do not apply, and in particular that 100%, rather than 125%, of poverty level does apply as the minimum income requirement.

But it also tells the consular officers that they need to consider a number of factors in making their determination, and it seems that there is plenty of leeway for a consular officer to decide that a minimum income is not sufficient to satisfy him that the visa applicant will not become a public charge.

A consular or USCIS officer can ask at any time to see the original of a photocopied document to verify the authenticity of the photocopy.

Yodrak

Whilst they can ask to see originals, I have e-mailed them about the necessity of having my sponsor's original birth certificate and they said I would only need a copy. Laura&Luis, if I remember correctly, used a co-sponsor and Laura has only provided them with a copy of their birth certificate. You can e-mail them if you're not confident about it. I even advise you to, so you can have the reply printed out.

Edited by Mew

Timeline (incompleta)

Mew,

I think you are not understanding what I wrote - I don't disagree with you that a consular officer has the discretionary power to say that an income of 100% of the poverty level is not enough..

Understand what the minimum is - the consular officer cannot approve if income is below the minimum. But that does not mean that the consular officer must approve if income is at or marginally above the minimum. When all things are considered they can, and apparently do, require more.

Yodrak

Yodrak,

I'm pretty sure Rio asks for 125% - even if FAM tells consular officer that 100% is required. Some other VJers and I have had our interviews recently and we have been able to confirm that information by e-mailing the consulate, as we were concerned about that.

Paul,

Yodrak

Edited by Yodrak

Timeline

Yodrak, I understand what you wrote now. I got "distracted" by the first paragraph and missed the point.

Mew,

I think you are not understanding what I wrote - I don't disagree with you that a consular officer has the discretionary power to say that an income of 100% of the poverty level is not enough..

Understand what the minimum is - the consular officer cannot approve if income is below the minimum. But that does not mean that the consular officer must approve if income is at or marginally above the minimum. When all things are considered they can, and apparently do, require more.

Yodrak

Yodrak,

Paul,

Yodrak

Timeline (incompleta)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.