10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I got my green card, but I am in India for a vacation since July 2006 during to family emergency.

Can I ask INS to send my cards to Indian address?

How soon should I go back to US. How much time I need to wait before I can travel back to India?

Will it affect my status or latter citizenship. I think i have to wait 4 years to wait after getting GC to file citizenship?

Any suggestions on these questions would be very helpful to me.

Thanks

INS is dead, baby, INS is dead. Now it is called USCIS...

Let's assume your question about asking USCIS to send it India was a joke and laugh about it.

Here is a link to residency requirements: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/permres.htm#maintain

Will it affect? - maybe, depends on the length of your absence. Here are requirements: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/general.htm

I do not know how your LPR status was obtained. Typically 3 or 5 years - 90 days.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Did you apply for an advance parole document before leaving the US ? if the answer to that is no then you will more than likely have some problems when attempting to re-enter the US on your way back from India.

In theory leaving the US without advance parole when you are waiting for your AOS and green card to be issued is considered an abandonment of your AOS application and will require a new visa to be applied for before re-entry will be allowed.

If you however you have a valid AP document then you will be free to return to the US whenever you like.

Mark :)

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

OP's post says "I got green card". It is rather silly of me to assume OP was granted LPR status, but, why not. That leaves with another assumption - OP is waiting for the actual green card to arrive.

It would all be simplier if OP had timeline filled out :)

Filed: Timeline

mountain,

If you have someone collecting your mail for you while you're away, have that person mail your card to you when it arrives at your US address.

Were you granted your LPR status before you departed the USA in July? Did you have your approval notice, or 'Welcome to America' letter, and take it with you?

If not, did you have advance parole and take your documents with you when you left?

Yodrak

actually my question was " I will be staying in India for couple of months, so is there any way I can get my cards before entering US"?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.