TallCowboy0614

Removing Conditions for my wife, but kids too?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Bolivia
Timeline

Hi all,

I think I already know the answer, but just wanted to check anyway.

My wife got her conditional Green Card in May of 2000, so we are due this month to file for the permanent green card. However my kids came in later, and did not get their conditional cards until December of 2000. Do we really need to process the paperwork for them separately from my wife since they have a green card/entry date later than hers? I suspect we have to wait and pay separately for them, but thought I would ask anyway. Seems a shame to have to pay the $590 fee for all three when there is a spot on the form for my wife to process the kids too. I suspect we will have to bit the bullet and pay separately, but again, thought I would ask the question in case there is a way around that requirement.

The kids are 12 and 16, if that matters.

Thanks!!!

Paul

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi all,

I think I already know the answer, but just wanted to check anyway.

My wife got her conditional Green Card in May of 2000, so we are due this month to file for the permanent green card. However my kids came in later, and did not get their conditional cards until December of 2000. Do we really need to process the paperwork for them separately from my wife since they have a green card/entry date later than hers? I suspect we have to wait and pay separately for them, but thought I would ask anyway. Seems a shame to have to pay the $590 fee for all three when there is a spot on the form for my wife to process the kids too. I suspect we will have to bit the bullet and pay separately, but again, thought I would ask the question in case there is a way around that requirement.

The kids are 12 and 16, if that matters.

Thanks!!!

Paul

Year 2000????? Something is wrong here. Did you mean 2010?

------------------

The children will have to file separately from their mom since they received their conditional green cards more than 90 days after she received her.

Read the first page of the Instructions for Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

Read the first page of the Instructions for Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence; http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-751instr.pdf

If you have dependent children who acquired conditional resident status concurrently with you and entered the United States within 90 days of your arrival, then include the names and A-Numbers of these children in Part 5 of this form in order to have their conditional status removed. If you have dependent children who acquired conditional resident status after 90 days from the date of your adjustment or if the conditional resident parent is deceased, then those dependent children must file Form I-751 separately to have their conditional status removed.

Filed: IR-2 Country: Bolivia
Timeline

Year 2000????? Something is wrong here. Did you mean 2010?

yes...sorry...stuck in a time warp ;)

Thanks...printed the form and instructions but should have read before I posted the question. I think I remembered that from the last time I did the research a year or so ago.

Alas, I am on the hook I guess, for yet another $1200 later this year, but at least we are nearing the end of this phase of the process...next stop, citizenship!!!!

Timeline

yes...sorry...stuck in a time warp ;)

Thanks...printed the form and instructions but should have read before I posted the question. I think I remembered that from the last time I did the research a year or so ago.

Alas, I am on the hook I guess, for yet another $1200 later this year, but at least we are nearing the end of this phase of the process...next stop, citizenship!!!!

On the bright side, only one naturalization fee for your wife when it comes time for US citizenship. The kids will get automatic US citizenship when she does. No fee for them. You will want to get US passports for the kids at that time to prove they derived US citizenship from their naturalized mom.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.