Derek & Rita

sending money to russia (moscow) bitcoin?

46 posts in this topic

Cause she got fired from her job because she was pregnant with my child, and now of course she doesn't work because she's taking care of our little baby.

Anyway, sounds like MoneyGram is the best bet... $19

No offense intended, but are you even sure it's your kid?

If you were there for the five day sex party (aka the required meeting before filing papers) it's possible you're going to end up on Maury Povich.

Like I said, no offense intended, just saying these type of scams can - and do - happen. Sometimes the girl's not even pregnant or it's someone else's kid they borrowed to hold up in front of the camera when you skype.

Just went back and noticed you did CR-1/IR-1 so you're already married too. Can I assume you spent several months over there and a bunch of time together?

If so, disregard what I'm saying. (I thought you did K-1.)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Open a separate bank account and send her the debit card - Citibank is best, because they're they only place with no fees for foreign transactions. However, the Citibank ATMs are really good for withdrawing money overseas. Make sure that the withdraw limit is set where you want it. Once she receives it, you can put however much money in that account from the U.S., and she can spend it there. I think VISA has a 3% transaction fee if it's swiped, and about $10 withdraw/conversion fee (one time for up to the daily max withdraw).

Also, let them know that it will be used primarily overseas (you have to call the card calling center).

When I was over there I was really pissed that I had a $300 withdraw limit. When I tried to call the bank in the U.S., I ended up running out my Megafon account b/c it was costing like 100 rubles/minute. With the long waits, it was nearly impossible. :|

I worked it out though. I ended up exchanging the use of my card for a plane ticket online for rubles in-hand :)

Edited by Scafidi454

Like has already been posted on here...Western Union is solid, and their delayed (3 day transfer) is pretty cheap imo. That and you can do everything online. Quick and easy and fairly cheap. hmmm...sounds like a few women I know.

Iv'e used Western Union for years (stateside)...and for three yeas sending money to Belarus and never ever had problem with them.

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Like has already been posted on here...Western Union is solid, and their delayed (3 day transfer) is pretty cheap imo. That and you can do everything online. Quick and easy and fairly cheap. hmmm...sounds like a few women I know.

Iv'e used Western Union for years (stateside)...and for three yeas sending money to Belarus and never ever had problem with them.

Western Union is good...especially if you can get the delayed pricing. Unfortunately, if you live in big city areas, they don't offer that discounted option. I think they offer it in low population areas or certain regions. I was paying like $25 fees to send $300 or $400 cash. Seemed crazy to me but I just paid it. Not any great and reliable options.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Haha, why were you calling the US on megafon??

You can call and up the limit, but the max is usually 500$/day for non-private banking accounts. This can be an issue for Russia, since you have to pay things like rent in cash. But it's less of a big deal now, because sberbank lets you pay bills at terminals/bank windows with a card.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

Oh, and whenever I've had cards sent to me, I have them fedexed, and inside a letter envelope with a bunch of papers inside so it just looks like regular documents are being sent. It is illegal to send credit cards in the mail in Russia, but like so many other things, not impossible.

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

Haha, why were you calling the US on megafon??

You can call and up the limit, but the max is usually 500$/day for non-private banking accounts. This can be an issue for Russia, since you have to pay things like rent in cash. But it's less of a big deal now, because sberbank lets you pay bills at terminals/bank windows with a card.

I called b/c my withdraw limit on my visa card was too low, and I was out of money in Russia! You have to call the bank/card center to increase the limit. I had already told them I was going to be overseas, but they didn't tell me I had a withdraw limit...

Oh, and whenever I've had cards sent to me, I have them fedexed, and inside a letter envelope with a bunch of papers inside so it just looks like regular documents are being sent. It is illegal to send credit cards in the mail in Russia, but like so many other things, not impossible.

Is it really illegal to send your wife a card on a joint account???

Is it really illegal to send your wife a card on a joint account???

As I wrote before, I think you'll have a hard time adding a foreigner without an SSN to any US bank account, so the account will be in the USC's name.

And yes, the RF does prohibit sending a ton of stuff into (or out of) Russia, including (I believe) credit cards. That said, I've done it more times than I can count. As someone else already recommended, bury it into a Fedex envelope with a ton of other mail. I've never had an issue.

Lastly, most US banks will put a $500 daily ATM limit, but you can have that increased if you call them. Mine is $1500/day, for example. But even ATMs which offer larger limits per pull (eg Citibank and Master Bank), will usually limit you to $500 per pull if your card is from another bank. I'm guessing they want the extra fees. Citibank is indeed the best option if you're going that route, as you won't have those per-transaction fees. Just a crappy USD=>RUB exchange rate.

Our timeline:

01/11/12 - Submitted I-130s to Moscow USCIS in person

01/12/12 - Had interview with Moscow USCIS officer to establish bonafide marriage

01/12/12 - I-130s approved and passed to US Consulate

01/13/12 - IV Unit in Moscow received approved petition

01/23/12 - We received confirmation that I-130s were approved by USCIS

01/24/12 - We received package notification from post office

01/26/12 - Picked up "package" - notifications from IV Unit with case numbers

01/26/12 - Set interview date online

02/01/12 - Passed medical exams

02/02/12 - Received police record

02/09/12 - Interview... APPROVED!

02/13/12 - Visa delivered

02/23/12 - POE Chicago

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

As I wrote before, I think you'll have a hard time adding a foreigner without an SSN to any US bank account, so the account will be in the USC's name.

And yes, the RF does prohibit sending a ton of stuff into (or out of) Russia, including (I believe) credit cards. That said, I've done it more times than I can count. As someone else already recommended, bury it into a Fedex envelope with a ton of other mail. I've never had an issue.

Lastly, most US banks will put a $500 daily ATM limit, but you can have that increased if you call them. Mine is $1500/day, for example. But even ATMs which offer larger limits per pull (eg Citibank and Master Bank), will usually limit you to $500 per pull if your card is from another bank. I'm guessing they want the extra fees. Citibank is indeed the best option if you're going that route, as you won't have those per-transaction fees. Just a crappy USD=>RUB exchange rate.

Yes, you're correct. And I've heard of banks canceling cards once they see the usage is coming from Russia/Ukraine. When I went to Russia, or anywhere outside the US, I'd have to call my credit card company and tell them I was going to be in such and such a place for such and such dates. Otherwise the card would not work overseas. I'm no expert on this but sending stuff via the mail is slow and not cheap. It's a ####### shoot that it will even arrive. Then you play the exchange rate game. Western union or MoneyGram is the fastest and safest way to get cash in someone's hands. If you're lucky to live in areas or regions where WU offers the discounted delayed delivery fees then it's even better. I had to eat the higher fees. I look at the costs as part of the game you decide to play when you go MOB. Accept it.

Timeline

The bank exchange rate is better than the street vendor's.

I have Wells Fargo and I have to call them before hand to let them know when I'm travelling to Belarus and when I expect to be back in the US so they don't cut me off. That and they put a $300 a day limit on my card when I'm over there.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

I have Wells Fargo and I have to call them before hand to let them know when I'm travelling to Belarus and when I expect to be back in the US so they don't cut me off. That and they put a $300 a day limit on my card when I'm over there.

I have wells Fargo and I don't have these problems. It depends on the individual and what kind of account you end up with.

Первый блин комом.

I have wells Fargo and I don't have these problems. It depends on the individual and what kind of account you end up with.

The branch here told me it was because Belarus was a high risk scam country is the reason they do that. It wasn't that big of a deal. I always take a ####### load of cash with me so I can add that to the $300 daily limit there. The strippers in Minsk have to buy groceries. :hehe:

sigbet.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.