Daniel_B

affidavit of support documents with joint sponsor

2 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I am filing an affidavit of support for my wife (I am the petitioner) and a family friend is very kindly agreeing to be a joint sponsor. Can someone just tell me I am doing everything correctly?

1) I should have two copies of I-I84 filled, one by myself and one by the family friend.

2) We both submit copies of last years tax returns. I have read elsewhere that I need letters from employers. Is this the case, as it doesn't appear anywhere on the USCIS documentation? As I am a graduate student who is not "salaried" but gets paid a pittance by doing odd teaching jobs over the year, should I get one? The family friend, however, has a stable job so perhaps it isn't necessary for him.

3) I have also read about pay stubbs being necessary, but again this information isn't mentioned by the UCSIS.

4) Finally, what is this "bar coded cover sheet" that I keep reading about when submitting the AOS documents? I'm not exactly sure where this can be found.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Daniel

Neither stubs, nor employment letters, nor extra years of tax returns (2nd and 3rd most recent) are required, but they are sometimes recommended to help you build the case that you are capable of supporting the immigrant. Since you're saying your income isn't going to be judged enough to support your wife, you probably don't need that extra evidence. Your cosponsor, however, might because they are going to be the ones that the US expects to fulfill the contract you both are signing.

The cover sheet with the barcode can be printed after you've paid the AOS fees on the payment portal. There's a button to print it and a button to email it on the receipt page. (Assuming everyone uses online payment? I'm not sure about that).

PS: I believe that if you're using copies of tax returns (instead of tax transcripts), W2s are required.

Edited by alizon

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.