Katie Watie

proof of ties to home...visiting whilst the visa is in process...

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

I have read something on this topic before but i cant find it anywhere now!

Weve started the K1 visa process... infact weve been informed our NOA2 was posted three days ago :D ... my fiancee is in the army and currently deployed in Kuwait. He gets two weeks r and r next month and i am of course flying over from England to be with him and his family for those two weeks. I've read before that i need to take a copy of the petition that went off originally with me, as well as proof of strong ties to home.

Two questions really...

1) is it best i take a copy of the entire petition that went off? do i need the originals of evidence?

2) to prove i intend to come home i have...

- a letter from my employer stating i have a permanent contract of employment and have only been granted two weeks leave

- my mortgage agreement

- credit card bill with an amount i pay off monthly

- possible confirmation from the dog kennels ill be putting my dog into whilst i'm away (although a family member might be having him)

is there anything else i can take to prove i intend to return home? Im quite nervous about flying whilst the visas going through because i dont want them to think i wont come back!!! anything i can take with me or do in preparation to make everything go smoothly i'll do!

Any help or advice from people who have been there would be great! :)

Petition sent: 21.10.11

NOA1: 24.10.11

NOA2: 18.01.12

Package 3 arrived: 01.02.12

Medical: 16.03.12

Package 3 sent: 22.03.12

Package 4 arrived: 07.04.12

Interview date: 24.04.12

Someone just got entry refused in this post sad.gif

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/347798-refused-entry/

I plan to visit my fiancee myself in March and will have all the documents ready just case. I think your evidence of ties look solid especially the letter of employment and mortgage agreement, you have nothing to worry.

Other than that, answer the CBP question truthfully but briefly to the point. If they ask what are you doing the US, if you are visiting your boyfriend, then say boyfriend, if fiancé then say fiancé.

If they asked business or vacation, answer vacation. If asked yes or no question, just answer yes or no, don't volunteer information unless they specifically ask for.

Have a return ticket and pack reasonably appropriate to your length of stay.

I think the CBP considers a lot of factors to determine if he should grant you entry or not. Length of visit, frequency of visits, previous stay history may also play a role.

My visits are usually 2 weeks long and about 2-3 months apart. Last xmas they ask what I am doing in Denmark, I just said I study, he did not ask to see any proof or more question and stamped my passport 90 days.

Just take a copy of the NOA2 and everything else you suggested, not the entire packet. :)

Don't know how comfortable your fiance is with giving you a copy of his orders, but if CBP know that the person you're intending to visit is only there for a limited period on RnR and your tickets correspond with those dates, they are probably going to be a little more receptive. Maybe a letter from his folks inviting you over for his leave period?

I flew to visit my (now) husband three times while we were waiting for visa processing. I travelled with a small case and just a handbag as hand luggage. If it's obvious you're not carrying much beyond your needs and you have evidence that you propose returning, don't worry too much about being refused entry as you have good documents to prove your intent.

Good luck to you, OP. :)

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Aaaaargh i just read that link to someone getting refused and now i'm more worried!!!! lol!!! although it does sound like they weren't particularly prepared?! :blink:

The NOA2 hasnt arrived at his address in america yet but hopefully it will before i fly at the start of Feb, so i can ask his Mom to scan it and email me a copy to print and take with me.

I can ask him whether the army have given him his leave orders yet and ask for him to email me a copy, i suppose that's good evidence that hes only there for the two weeks also.

Another quick question... do i just complete the ESTA tourist visa as normal to go over in Feb???

I have always hated going through immigration because i get nervous and tongue tied and then start to panic that i look guilty of something even though i know i've not done ANYTHING wrong, have never broken a law in my life and am telling the absolute truth!!! so god knows what ill be like this time!!! :wacko:

You've got plenty of evidence of ties without any petition stuff. Just smile and say you're visiting a soldier on two weeks leave from Kuwait. A short trip of 2 weeks is a perfectly normal tourist purpose. The people who go for 3 months and try it again a month later, who have no job, no lease, no money are more likely to be questioned. Many, many people from the UK go on short trips and are never questioned at all.

Yes do ESTA or use your former one if it hasn't expired.

Before you go, take care of your visa stuff like order police certificate and get your shots (hopefully free) from NHS. While there get his signed I-134 and proofs of income for your interview.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Thanks!

Yep my police certificate arrived last week, i wont have time to get my injections before i fly out but i can when i get back from my holiday. Ive already told him hes got forms to sign and evidence to collect whilst we're together :D he cant relax until its done! lol

This website is the best thing i stumbled across during this visa process!!!

2) to prove i intend to come home i have...

- a letter from my employer stating i have a permanent contract of employment and have only been granted two weeks leave

- my mortgage agreement

- credit card bill with an amount i pay off monthly

- possible confirmation from the dog kennels ill be putting my dog into whilst i'm away (although a family member might be having him)

You have more documents than I did last time. I had a letter from my employer and a photocopy of my rent book showing that the next months rent was due to be collected on my return.

I was allowed entry with no questions asked about the K1 process. When I was going through pre-clearance in Dublin I stated that I was going to visit my fiancee and when asked I confirmed she was American.

Aaaaargh i just read that link to someone getting refused and now i'm more worried!!!! lol!!! although it does sound like they weren't particularly prepared?! :blink:

I was SUPER worried after reading their post as well, but after viewing their profile and reading some other threads the woman posted on... it sounds like she didn't apply for a visa at all, she was just visiting for the full 90 days under the VWP. Having a visa would probably work in your favor as it shows you're trying to do everything legally and an overstay would hurt the process. She also posted another thread about the customs officer emailing her/hitting on her after she was denied in Atlanta. It sounds like the officer that caused all this was acting really inappropriately.

Edited by orangedesk

I visited during the K1 process, brought a ton of 'evidence', wasn't asked a single question.

Honestly, they know that UK citizens have friends/family/relationships in the US, they aren't THAT paranoid.

You'll be fine!

TIMELINE

2 0 1 1

3rd Feb - 129f Sent

10th Feb - NOA1

16th May - NOA2

8th August - Interview in London. APPROVED!

29th August - POE at SFO

7th Oct - Married

10th Oct - AOS Filed

17th Oct - NOA Letter(s)

20th Oct - Biometrics Letter (for 14th Nov)

28th Oct - Biometrics (walk-in)

2 0 1 2

3 Jan - Service Request Put In

13 Jan - EAD Approved

17 Jan - Interview Notice Received

24 Jan - EAD in hand

16 Feb - Interview Date. APPROVED!

2 0 1 3 / 2 0 1 4

21 Nov - ROC Filed

2 Dec - NOA

6 Jan - Biometrics (walk-in)

15 May - Card Ordered / Approved

• 4 weeks later...

I visited during the K1 process, brought a ton of 'evidence', wasn't asked a single question.

Honestly, they know that UK citizens have friends/family/relationships in the US, they aren't THAT paranoid.

You'll be fine!

Your right I wasn't asked for a thing!!! So the panic was for nothing i suppose!

But im glad i was prepared 'just in case'. The lady on the desk asked me what was the purpose of my visit, i said to visit my fiance who is on r and r from the army, she asked how long it had been since we'd seen each other and i explained he'd been deployed for 7 months... her response was to stand up shake my hand and ask me to pass that on to my fiance and thank him for fighting for his country!!! I nearly welled up infront of her, and so did his Mom when i told them the story! :) One very proud fiancee (L) !

Your right I wasn't asked for a thing!!! So the panic was for nothing i suppose!

But im glad i was prepared 'just in case'. The lady on the desk asked me what was the purpose of my visit, i said to visit my fiance who is on r and r from the army, she asked how long it had been since we'd seen each other and i explained he'd been deployed for 7 months... her response was to stand up shake my hand and ask me to pass that on to my fiance and thank him for fighting for his country!!! I nearly welled up infront of her, and so did his Mom when i told them the story! :) One very proud fiancee (L) !

Beautiful story. Thanks for sharing. (L)

If you need any personalized help on your London process, feel free to PM me. My way of thanking your soldier.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

thanks for updating us with that heartwarming story, i hope you had a wonderful visit with your man.. it's nice to be reminded of the humanity behind this whole daunting process - everyone is not out to get everyone else, we're all just playing our parts!

p.s it sucks that nothing rhymes with katie, right?! that was my nickname too ;)

K1

10 Jan 2012: I-129F package sent

14 June 2012: NOA2

11 July 2012: Medical

30 July 2012: Interview at London Embassy (Approved!)

13 Aug 2012: Visa Received

1 Sept 2012: POE (Atlanta)

15 Sept 2012: Wedding in New Orleans

AOS

16 Nov 2012: NOA Receipt Date

20 Dec 2012: Biometrics Appointment

16 Jan 2013: EAD & AP approved

25 Jan 2013: EAD & AP Card received

thanks for updating us with that heartwarming story, i hope you had a wonderful visit with your man.. it's nice to be reminded of the humanity behind this whole daunting process - everyone is not out to get everyone else, we're all just playing our parts!

p.s it sucks that nothing rhymes with katie, right?! that was my nickname too ;)

I know right! Katie Watie must have taken my family oh erm all of 5 minutes to think up! lol :wacko:

And im glad i shared... very proud of my soldier! :D

Beautiful story. Thanks for sharing. (L)

If you need any personalized help on your London process, feel free to PM me. My way of thanking your soldier.

You may regret saying i can pm you...im already creating my list of questions... lol... only joking theres one... or two :P ! But thanks! :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.