Tekky

Confuse about AOS prodedures

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Alright, here is the situation. I am from Canada and came here as a tourist visiting my gf and for medical procedure. I ended up staying the whole extend of my number of consecutive days allowed and we got married, so I didn't go back to Canada.

It has been a while I am trying to make sense of the whole procedure thing and so I am seeking for your help. Sorry for the long questions...just want to make sure to do things the right way...

- Can my spouse(she is the us citizen) file form 1-130 before we send the whole I-485 ? or it absolutly has to be sent together?

- Can the form I-693(medical) be sent seperatly then I-485, at a later time, or even brought at the interview? or absolutly has to be mailed in at the same time as I-485?

- Do I need "advance parole" to go see my family while waiting for my aos to be processed? considering I dont have a k-3 visa ? If so, does it has to be sent at the same time as I-485? or it can be later? Does anyone knows how long it takes to get advance parole once the form is sent?

- Do I have to send a I-765 to be allowed to work while waiting for aos to be approved? if so, can it be sent at a later time or has to be mailed with I-485??? If I have to file that, how long does it take to get my "work permit"?

- Is there a definite time to wait before getting an interview or it really varies from case to case?

Thank you to anyone who can help me out with those questions, it is greatly appreciated!

Have a nice day!

Tekky

1. Yes, but what's the point - process will take longer. Your status would be illegal meanwhile, couldn't get EAD, AP.

2. They would issue RFE, again, extra delays

3. Yes. They wouldn't let you in otherwise

4. Yes, you can, but extra delay again. How long - look at visajourney timelines. For some local offices there is no point to ask for EAD & AP as processing doesn't take much time.

5. Varies.

Timeline

I hear ya when you say what is the point... the only reason why I asked about that is because right now money is real tight and we would rather have the process started at least, then not at all 'til we can send everything at the same time...know what i mean? thanks for info though

I hear ya when you say what is the point... the only reason why I asked about that is because right now money is real tight and we would rather have the process started at least, then not at all 'til we can send everything at the same time...know what i mean? thanks for info though

Money was a real problem for us (my wife was pregnant, baby was diagnosed with a disorder; multiple out-of-town trips for medic.; she lost the baby - medical was more important that anything else, imo.) We got married in April and after everything with the baby, had finally cleared up, we wound up not starting the process till September 11th. I sent everything in at once. As much as I'm tempted to suggest sending them one at a time "just to get the process started", I think it's more piece of mind to send it all at once and bite the bullet if you can. GL with whatever you do.

Timeline

Our situation seems a little similar to yours in the aspect that we got married on May 27th 2006 and we are now in Sept... trust me I am digging for solution to be able to send the whole thing together... still haven't figured it out though... almost 1000$ is a lot and with the money we have in the account right now it wouuld leave us with not even enoguh to pay mortgage or car payment or utility or even grocerie right this moment... sigh.. just don't know... but i just want it to be over with so will have to find a solution.

thanks for your input.

hope process going well for ya!

Tekky

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.