I'm Gone

New SSA Name Change Procedure

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Only the marriage document (foreign or domestic) is needed if it meets the following criteria:

-- The new name can be derived from the marriage document, i.e. bride

takes the groom's last name, groom takes bride's last name, compound

name (with or without hyphen) of each spouse's original name for

either or both parties.

-- The marriage occurred within the past two years

-- The marriage document shows sufficient identifying information

(e.g., biographical data such as age, date of birth or parent's

names), and

-- The identifying information matches the information on his/her current

Social Security number (Numident) record.

The applicant will need to submit an identity document in the old name along with the marriage document if:

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years and has biographical

Information, e.g., age, date of birth or parent's names which does

not match our records, e.g., the SSN record.

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years, but does not show

biographical information, or

-- The marriage occurred over two years ago (with or without

biographical information.

The identity document used to establish the old name must match the name on the current SSN record. The identity document is acceptable even if over two years old or expired.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: You are still going to need valid proof of work authorization to be issued a card in the married name. The marriage and/or identity document still may need to be translated if not in English.

Edited by mdyoung

mdyoung (aka wiseman of the ssn ;) ), in regards to this " Note: You are still going to need valid proof of work authorization to be issued a card in the married name. ", does this mean I should wait until i receive my ead before going in to change names? or should i do it now, and when i receive the ead they automatically issue one in my new name?

i'm hoping the the dmv will issue my license (when i bother to go change it) in my married name w/ my ssn & marriage cert. too much stuff to change my name on!

thanks

k

Edited by KiminON

Filed: Timeline
mdyoung (aka wiseman of the ssn ;) ), in regards to this " Note: You are still going to need valid proof of work authorization to be issued a card in the married name. ", does this mean I should wait until i receive my ead before going in to change names? or should i do it now, and when i receive the ead they automatically issue one in my new name?

I prefer wiseguy. LOL

SSA will not assign an SSN or issue a card to an individual that is within 14 days of his or her alien status expiring. Until the 76th day after entry an individual with K-1 status only needs to provide an unexpired I-94 showing current K-1 status to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

RM 00202.115 Form SS-5 Item 3 — Citizenship:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202115

B. PROCEDURE - ANSWER TO ITEM 3

2. Legal Alien Allowed to Work

The applicant should check this block if he/she alleges to be a lawfully admitted alien with work authorization.

Once, an individual with K-1 status has been in the United States 76 days he or she will need another document, i.e. I-551, I-688B or I-766 to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

RM 00203.500 Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500#C1

RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203410

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.