Hilarious Clinton

'Idiot' barb gets passenger detained

9 posts in this topic

discussed here before

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A Wisconsin man who wrote "Kip Hawley is an Idiot" on a plastic bag containing toiletries said he was detained at an airport security checkpoint for about 25 minutes before authorities concluded the statement was not a threat.

Ryan Bird, 31, said he wrote the comment about Hawley -- head of the Transportation Security Administration -- as a political statement. He said he feels the TSA is imposing unreasonable rules on passengers while ignoring bigger threats.

A TSA spokeswoman acknowledged a man was stopped, but likened the incident to cases in which people inappropriately joke about bombs. She said the man was "a little combative" and that he was detained only a few minutes.

The incident has ignited some chatter on Internet travel Web sites. More than 83,000 people have clicked on a FlyerTalk.com forum devoted to the episode, and the forum has grown to include 30 pages of comments.

Bird, the vice president of a company that manufactures industrial equipment, said the encounter occurred at Milwaukee Airport on Tuesday, the day the TSA eased restrictions on carry-on liquids, gels and aerosols.

Bird entered the airport checkpoint with a see-through resealable bag containing small containers of toothpaste, deodorant, mouthwash and hair gel -- in keeping with new TSA requirements.

"My level of frustration with the TSA and their idiotic policies has grown over 2 ½ years," he said. "I'm frustrated that poorly trained TSA people can pull random passengers out of line and pat them down like common criminals. The average traveler has no recourse."

Bird put the marked bag in a plastic tray along with his shoes and cell phone. A TSA screener saw the bag and went to get a supervisor, who grabbed it and asked Bird if it was his.

"It was obvious that he was already angry," Bird said, adding that the screener told him, "You can't write things like that."

The supervisor told Bird he had the right to express his opinions "out there" -- pointing outside the screening area -- but did not have the right "in here," Bird said.

The supervisor called a sheriff's deputy, who checked to see if Bird had any warrants for his arrest, Bird said. Bird asked the officer if he was under arrest, and was told that he was being detained, he said.

A supervisor said he was going to confiscate the bag, but after Bird refused, he just photographed it, Bird said.

Bird said he filed a complaint about the incident with the TSA.

A TSA spokeswoman said she could not confirm whether Bird had filed a complaint, but described the incident as insignificant.

Screeners looked at the bag to "make sure it wasn't anything like a bomb threat," she said. She said the man was "a little combative" and that a law enforcement officer came over, briefly interviewed him and determined that he hadn't broken any laws.

"Everyone's entitled to their own opinion," she said.

A spokeswoman for the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office said the TSA did call the sheriff's office to report an upset customer at the checkpoint. A deputy went to the scene, interviewed all of the participants, ran a wanted check on the man, and referred it back to the TSA after determining no crime had been committed, Deputy Darice Landon said.

Landon said the original call came at 2:21 p.m., and it was unclear how long the man was detained. There is no indication that he was combative, she said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/US/09/28/idiot.baggie/index.html

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I can't believe people are so mad about the inconvenience of extra safety precautions when flying. Have they forgotten September 11 already? The threat is as strong as ever. Personally I am thankful when security do a thorough check before I board a plane.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I can't believe people are so mad about the inconvenience of extra safety precautions when flying. Have they forgotten September 11 already? The threat is as strong as ever. Personally I am thankful when security do a thorough check before I board a plane.

A thorough check resulting from genuine suspicion, not because some "little Napoleon" wants to use his peanut of power for personal reasons.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

A thorough check resulting from genuine suspicion, not because some "little Napoleon" wants to use his peanut of power for personal reasons.

True, but he got the attention he was seeking.

I'm not American, I've never heard of the acronym TSA or Kip Hawley - is it really that newsworthy?

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

True, but he got the attention he was seeking.

I'm not American, I've never heard of the acronym TSA or Kip Hawley - is it really that newsworthy?

Probably not, but seems like a waste of the TSA's time to indulge some sort of personal grudge as opposed to being concenred with genuine security issues.

There's already been issues with the TSA bag screenings, last year the TSA conducted an internal investigation of its people at the Ontario airport in CA (for one) where certain of its staff were found to be "removing" items from peoples bags - digital cameras, ipods etc. Now at least if you do "lose" anything you can be compensated for it - as opposed to "we have the right to rifle through your stuff, but are not responsible for what happens to it as a result".

...I'm not American, I've never heard of the acronym TSA or Kip Hawley - is it really that newsworthy?

For US (or Canuck) "mainstream" media, such bakvas is newsworthy; anywhere else, it might be printed if they have a place in "briefs" to fill up.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

That's your opinion. Ryan Bird had his opinion on the outside of a plastic bag. See... the first ammendment works.

One of his gripes was that you couldn't take bottled water (or any liquid) bought in the secure area of the airport onto the plane. This was a stupid rule and now has been changed.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG