demiurgician

Affidavit of Support

4 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I have recently (as in just this week) started a new job that puts me in a position to easily clear the 125% requirement for the affidavit of support. For the 6 months before this I was *barely* making enough money, and for the 2 years before that I was an unemployed graduate student in the UK (where I met my sweetie!). Before I got the new job my father was planning to sponsor my fiance (he makes more than enough money), but now I'm not sure if it's necessary.

If I make plenty of money now, but I've only just started the job, is it better for my father to sponsor my fiance as we had planned? Ive been lead to understand that they sometimes want several years of tax returns, and obviously for the majority of the last 3 years I haven't even come close to making the amount of money required. Moreover, it seems that it would be harder to prove that this is a steady job if I've only just begun employment and will technically still be on "probation" when I fill out the forms.

My dad is more than willing to sponsor Gary, but I don't want to ask it of him unless I think it's something that I shouldn't do myself. What do you all think?

demiurgician,

Clearly, you have demonstrated that you are on a path of progression.

In University, increasing your potential for income.

A job, earning money, albeit below the requirements.

Now, earning an amount, exceeding the minimum.

With that said, adjudication of these cases are subjective.

If I were you, I would engage a co-sponsor, if not too difficult. There is no legal obligation to the co-sponsor, at this stage.

After approval and marriage, when you adjust status, you will have sufficient income history to carry the adjustment of status (AOS) affidavit of support alone. That is the obligatory document.

You may be able to carry this alone now, but a co-sponsor would affirm the approval.

Edited by William33

Filed: Timeline
demiurgician,

Clearly, you have demonstrated that you are on a path of progression.

In University, increasing your potential for income.

A job, earning money, albeit below the requirements.

Now, earning an amount, exceeding the minimum.

With that said, adjudication of these cases are subjective.

If I were you, I would engage a co-sponsor, if not too difficult. There is no legal obligation to the co-sponsor, at this stage.

After approval and marriage, when you adjust status, you will have sufficient income history to carry the adjustment of status (AOS) affidavit of support alone. That is the obligatory document.

You may be able to carry this alone now, but a co-sponsor would affirm the approval.

Good advice. :yes:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Timeline

demiurgician,

The information you present looks positive, but one never knows how a particular consular officer will feel about the newness of the job and the overall picture. And, you've presented here the most superficial of summaries, the consular officer will consider the details of the information you provide. For example, is that new job with a growing or shrinking company, in a growing or shrinking industry?

Keep Dad's financial package at the ready just in case.

Yodrak

Hi all!

I have recently (as in just this week) started a new job that puts me in a position to easily clear the 125% requirement for the affidavit of support. For the 6 months before this I was *barely* making enough money, and for the 2 years before that I was an unemployed graduate student in the UK (where I met my sweetie!). Before I got the new job my father was planning to sponsor my fiance (he makes more than enough money), but now I'm not sure if it's necessary.

If I make plenty of money now, but I've only just started the job, is it better for my father to sponsor my fiance as we had planned? Ive been lead to understand that they sometimes want several years of tax returns, and obviously for the majority of the last 3 years I haven't even come close to making the amount of money required. Moreover, it seems that it would be harder to prove that this is a steady job if I've only just begun employment and will technically still be on "probation" when I fill out the forms.

My dad is more than willing to sponsor Gary, but I don't want to ask it of him unless I think it's something that I shouldn't do myself. What do you all think?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.