ceriserose

CPP & OAS Pension

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This thread has been started as a result of comments on another thread about losing pension eligibility when one emigrates. I had heard different things about pensions than stated in the other thread, so decided to put on my sleuthing hat to figure out exactly what the deal is with these various pensions. This information is specific to Canadian citizens who move to the US and reside as permanent residents.

When speaking to the agents on the phone, I used myself as an example (so K1-AOS, intention to reside in US permanently & full time).

CPP

Canada Pension Plan (CPP) is a contributory pension, which means that you pay into it when you work, and how much money you receive as pension after you stop working is based on what you contributed.

General info on CPP

From that site:

Can I receive CPP payments outside Canada?

Yes, provided you meet all eligibility conditions, payments are made anywhere in the world.

My question to the agent was "what is required for eligibility"?

His response was that eligibility was based on having made "at least one good contribution" into the CPP system. He then defined "one good contribution" as 1 year of valid contribution. I asked if Canadian citizens who were eligible based on that but then became permanent residents of the US were still eligible for receiving the pension at the correct age. His answer was yes.

OAS

Unlike CPP, Old Age Security (OAS) is based on residency, specifically number of years resident after the age of 18. If you are a Canadian citizen remaining in Canada, the criterion is 40 years residency over the age of 18 (age 58). If you are a Canadian citizen who leaves Canada the criterion is 20 years residency over the age of 18 (age 38). However, as a result of the tax treaty between Canada and the US, a Canadian permanently residing in the US who doesn't meet the 20 years residency criterion may collect a partial OAS based on the years they -did- reside in Canada over the age of 18.

The agent on the phone stressed that to be able to collect this pension you had to prove the date you left Canada, be it by a plane ticket, moving company documents, visa, passport, etc. He indicated that even though it may be a lot of years away, keeping that information is critical to collecting.

General info on OAS

Corporate/Individual Pensions

You're on your own! :) If you have a separate pension through a former employer, find out what their rules are with regard to collecting.

I know I can collect mine in the US, and that it is subject to the 25% non-resident withholding tax. Chances are, any non-government administered pension would be subject to that tax, but that is only an educated guess by me. hehe

Taxes on Pensions

The good news is, in the case of CPP and OAS, it's 0%. I verbally confirmed what I read on this website with both the agent at the international tax number (1-800-267-5177) and the agent from Service Canada who gave me all the CPP/OAS answers (1-877-454-4051).

NR4 form info on pensions

Non-resident Tax on Pensions

Of course, it's still income per the IRS. ;)

Additional Links

Contact info for all pensions by type

Contact Income Security

General publication for Canadians retiring abroad

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

• 1 year later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

good topic and should be bumped

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

Filed: Other Timeline

yeap, you can keep it all, as long as you qualify.

I left Canada when I was 37, so I may have to go back for one year of work before I can collect full OAS, but I'll still have CPP regardless.

My Aunt, who is triple citizen of UK, Canada and US, and who lives in US, plans to return to Canada for one year, so that she'll have full benefits when she retires in a couple of years. Then she'll move back to the US. She's self employed in the US, so she won't have Social Security I think she said.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Timeline

Ceriserose..... luv yah .

:thumbs::dance: WOOOOHHAAAAA on the topic. I have been wondering about this for a while. Both hubby and I are on student and work visas - so we were thinking ok, what happens when we leave????

Can we ask for all that money (not much but still ours) to be refunded when we leave for the US? Does this also apply to the PSPP plan???? Any information will be mostly appreciated. One of us had to go on medical leave and were surprised to find out we did NOT qualify for EI .... even when EI had been promptly and happily garnished from our salaries for the past 5 years we've been here.... ARGHHHH.

So any help is appreciated, I mean that!!!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thats was great info about keeping documents as to when you left the country guess i'll get a safety deposit box and put a few things in it as to leaving. I meet the requirements for 20 years working for oas, plus i have my provincial pension from my job i'll have 20 years into that and it gets locked in till i can collect it. so all is good.

wedding 2006-06-03

i130

2006-06-24.......mailed

06-07-18.......noa1

09-19.......touched[li

09-20.......rfe sent

09-25.......rfe mailed back

10-02.......rfe email received uscis

10-03.......touched

12-12.......APPROVED

i129f

06-08-21......mailed

06-08-29.....noa1

06-09-02....touched

06-09-09....touched

06-10-20...touched ...sent to csc

06-10-27...touched

06-11-15...APPROVED 07-03-08 interview and visa approved

1. EAD.... sent may 13
  2. biometrics.....june 13
  3. ead transfer to csc.....july 13

4. EAD card in production

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.