jons_wifey

Anyone come to the US on a H1B

6 posts in this topic

Looking to here from H1B expats :)

How long was the process?

Did it go smooth?

did you go job hunting to get the H1B Or was you headhunted.

What was your position for the H1B?

Looking to here from H1B expats :)

How long was the process?

Did it go smooth?

did you go job hunting to get the H1B Or was you headhunted.

What was your position for the H1B?

First thing you need to know is that there is a cap every year in how many H1-B will be given. For many years, the quota ran out on the first day of the year; You can probably do a quick search and find out if that is the case this year. The "year" for this started in October (or at least used to).

"Smooth" is such a generic word for this kind of cases.....I know people who got it in less than 1-2 months and also know people who took 1+ years. There is a factor to consider: how long would the people offering the job are willing to wait. You can't start working until it is approved.

The way the H1_B works is that you first get offered a job (in the US), and only then you (and the company) can start the process; thus you can't just apply for a H1-B to then go look for a job; it is different than the work visas for the UK in that aspect. For the most part, companies who offer jobs to foreigners are equipped (either have their own law office or have retained an attorney to do this). Lately I've seen many offers (I work in IT) noting that if you do not have authorization, they will not get it for you. FYI, you can pay an additional fee to expedite it; last I've heard was 1000+ for the privilege.

Last but not least, H1-Bs have a time length of 6 years maximum (and used to be, not sure now) that upon 3 years, a renewal waas needed; after which there is no renewal.

Outside of H1-Bs, is common for consulting companies to bring people on a L-1

Edited by Gosia & Tito

First thing you need to know is that there is a cap every year in how many H1-B will be given. For many years, the quota ran out on the first day of the year; You can probably do a quick search and find out if that is the case this year. The "year" for this started in October (or at least used to).

"Smooth" is such a generic word for this kind of cases.....I know people who got it in less than 1-2 months and also know people who took 1+ years. There is a factor to consider: how long would the people offering the job are willing to wait. You can't start working until it is approved.

The way the H1_B works is that you first get offered a job (in the US), and only then you (and the company) can start the process; thus you can't just apply for a H1-B to then go look for a job; it is different than the work visas for the UK in that aspect. For the most part, companies who offer jobs to foreigners are equipped (either have their own law office or have retained an attorney to do this). Lately I've seen many offers (I work in IT) noting that if you do not have authorization, they will not get it for you. FYI, you can pay an additional fee to expedite it; last I've heard was 1000+ for the privilege.

Last but not least, H1-Bs have a time length of 6 years maximum (and used to be, not sure now) that upon 3 years, a renewal waas needed; after which there is no renewal.

Outside of H1-Bs, is common for consulting companies to bring people on a L-1

ty, did you come here on a H1B?

Filed: Timeline

My brother-in-law came on a H-1B. He was headhunted. Of course, he graduated cum laude from one of the three best universities in the Philippines.

They paid for all his expenses, and he is working for a Veteran's Hospital in Alabama as a Physical Therapist.

My other brother-in-law went to an employment agency, and he had to pay all his own expenses, plus a fee up front, and a portion of his salary for the first few months.

Edited by Crusty Old Perv

ty, did you come here on a H1B?

I originally had a F-1 (student), a pile of years ago. Upon graduation was offered several jobs and took one where company had also offered help with H1-B and further, GC sponsoring. Then got GC and after the 5 year period became USC. I had a high-demand profession and had a relatively uneventful transition to USC from the F-1; but it took time. I believe it was 6 weeks from F-1 to H-1B, then 1 1/2 to 2 years from H1 to GC, then a 5 year period before you can apply for USC; but this was in the early 90's.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.