warlord

Questions on Submitting N-400

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok I'm allowed to submit my N-400 3 months before my 3rd anniversery of being a legal resident (since it's marriage based). That is pretty much in a few weeks for the earliest submittal.

Now with that, I will download the latest form and then send that in. Now the first question is how long does it take to get the interview (where they ask you the American questions etc)? Just generally speaking, since I know it varies. Do you get that months ahead of when you get sworn in, or is it something that occurs and then you get sworn in the ceremony close to that date? Or is it just random and happens both ways?

The next question is, during the interview do they request seeing your original passport? When you get sworn in, do they take your current (other countries) passport at all? Since you're now an American (after the ceremony of course)?

The reason I'm curious is that since I'm submitting the form in a few weeks, my Canadian passport is going to expire in July of 2007. I would like to renew it in Canada before I become an USC, however, I don't really want to send them the current passport with all my immigration stuff in it over the past few years. They should send it back with holes in it (to signify it's invalid), but I don't know if they still do that? So I'm curious about a possible timeline here and how significant passports are in this final process?

Hope that wasn't that confusing...

Pete

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Ok I'm allowed to submit my N-400 3 months before my 3rd anniversery of being a legal resident (since it's marriage based). That is pretty much in a few weeks for the earliest submittal.

Now with that, I will download the latest form and then send that in. Now the first question is how long does it take to get the interview (where they ask you the American questions etc)? Just generally speaking, since I know it varies. Do you get that months ahead of when you get sworn in, or is it something that occurs and then you get sworn in the ceremony close to that date? Or is it just random and happens both ways?

The next question is, during the interview do they request seeing your original passport? When you get sworn in, do they take your current (other countries) passport at all? Since you're now an American (after the ceremony of course)?

The reason I'm curious is that since I'm submitting the form in a few weeks, my Canadian passport is going to expire in July of 2007. I would like to renew it in Canada before I become an USC, however, I don't really want to send them the current passport with all my immigration stuff in it over the past few years. They should send it back with holes in it (to signify it's invalid), but I don't know if they still do that? So I'm curious about a possible timeline here and how significant passports are in this final process?

Pete

I don't think that your passport has anything to do with naturalization, just your GC. And just to let you know, you don't lose your Canadian Citizenship when you naturalize... And no.. they don't take any other passports... the US Government has no right to...

USCIS has stated that they want all process to be finished in 6 months. But they probably won't interview you until you have been in the US for more than 3 years... Don't be surprised if you get an interview within 6 months of submission. After the interview, you could take the oath the same day, or it may be scheduled several weeks or months later. You are not a US Citizen until you take the oath...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

As zyggy stated, US has no right to take the passport of another country. However, it IS true that you cannot re-enter US afterward with non-US passport.

Pete

If you are in Canada at the time of renewal, you can ask them NOT to punch holes through those pages. I was in Calgary in December 2001 (with expiry Feb 2002); renewed there (yes, took the 2-month penalty). I had a 10-year visa to India on the expiring passport--and I asked the passport office not to hole-through that page.

As I got US citizenship just before my May 2005 trip to India (a 2-birds-one-stone of meeting Pras for proof of meeting and attendance at Annual Retreat), I had to take 3 passports with me (expired Canuck with visa, current Canuck to show to Indian officials at entry/exit along with the aforesaid expired one, US passport for re-entry at JFK--last not shown at all to Indian officials).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Pete

hi Pete, congrats on your next step. :)

Time to interview date will depend on your District Office--you can look up their N-400 processing time to see what they're doing. My office has a 6 month or less turnaround, but we're a small office. Oath scheduling works much the same--just depends on local workload/policy.

Actually, I don't think the DAH took his UK passport to anything to do with his N-400, other than the application itself. You use your Green Card and other ID at the interview, and the passport is not taken to the oath. CIs doesn't concern itself with what you do with the property of a foreign gov't (the pp isn't really 'yours').

Here's what our workflow was like:

N-400 submitted.

NOA rc'd within a week. This has your 'priority date' on it.

Fingerprint appt letter generated within a week and sent out--appt was about 2 weeks out from received date.

A couple/few of months later, interview letter received.

During this time, I found out that same-day oaths were possible at my office if one had a morning appt. I stopped in CIS one day to find out if all the namechecks were back in and to confirm the same day oath business because we had out of town guests to attend the ceremony. Since all the checks were back in and clear, I knew that if he passed the interview (a morning one), he would have a same day oath.

Interview day, passed interview, returned a couple of hours later for the ceremony. Report is posted here.

The goal for all offices is to complete your N-400 within 6 months. If you send in N-400, start studying!

I'm not clear on your objection about renewing the Canadian pp. Canada won't care about your US immigration stamps. There's one or two dual US/Canada citizens kicking around. ;)

Oh, I guess I have to click ''post' if you're going to see this.... lol

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Pete

I'm not clear on your objection about renewing the Canadian pp. Canada won't care about your US immigration stamps. There's one or two dual US/Canada citizens kicking around. ;)

Oh, I guess I have to click ''post' if you're going to see this.... lol

Oh yeah.. I guess one of those dual Canada/US Citizens is me.. heh.. but I got mine by accident (or fortune) of birth :)

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

Cool thanks for the info guys. I will assume that since my 3 years of being on a GC (I've been in the US close to 9 years now, but 5 or 6 of those were on a TN, so that doesn't count for naturalization). Anyways, I'll send out my passport to get it renewed by mail (as I did 5 years ago) since I won't be anywhere near Canada to do it manually. And I'll submit my N-400 in a few weeks.

I am thinking the general average of 6 months probably won't be until my actual 3rd year of being a PR (which is in Jan), rather then having the 6 months from Oct when I send in the forms. If this is the case, I just wonder what's the point of being allowed to send the N-400 in 3 months early? Or does it just secure you a better spot in the queue?

Yeah the studying stuff, I haven't reviewed the material for about a year and a half, it's still lying on the floor of my car, guess I had better get that back out and re-look it all over again. From what I have heard, guess people generally be asked the easier type questions, but with my luck that won't be the case...

Pete

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Oct - I-751 sent off

Nov - Biometrics done

Feb - Oath Ceremony

THE END

Cool thanks for the info guys. I will assume that since my 3 years of being on a GC (I've been in the US close to 9 years now, but 5 or 6 of those were on a TN, so that doesn't count for naturalization). Anyways, I'll send out my passport to get it renewed by mail (as I did 5 years ago) since I won't be anywhere near Canada to do it manually. And I'll submit my N-400 in a few weeks.

I am thinking the general average of 6 months probably won't be until my actual 3rd year of being a PR (which is in Jan), rather then having the 6 months from Oct when I send in the forms. If this is the case, I just wonder what's the point of being allowed to send the N-400 in 3 months early? Or does it just secure you a better spot in the queue?

Not necessarily; this average puts the time for oath AFTER the completion of 3 years.

I applied in Oct. 2004 (from an EB-3 GC received in Dec 1999, single) and was sworn in Apr. 2005.

Yeah the studying stuff, I haven't reviewed the material for about a year and a half, it's still lying on the floor of my car, guess I had better get that back out and re-look it all over again. From what I have heard, guess people generally be asked the easier type questions, but with my luck that won't be the case...

Pete

If you're offered the option of taking the test at the same time as fingerprints, DO IT. The civics/history test then is multiple choice.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline
If you're offered the option of taking the test at the same time as fingerprints, DO IT. The civics/history test then is multiple choice.

Now that would be good if that's the way it is. I did know it all about a year ago, but like I said, I've kind of forgot to review it etc...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Oct - I-751 sent off

Nov - Biometrics done

Feb - Oath Ceremony

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.