Duders

Tax Questions

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Tax questions!

I'm the beneficiary from Canada, finance is petitioner from USA. We're thinking I'll probably move there end of January, beginning of February approximately.

First question, I need to send about $10K to his bank account (won't have my own yet), how will that work with taxes? We just go to H&R Block, what do we tell them?

Second question! How will my Canadian taxes work? All my tax stuff will be in Canada, can my father do it there? Could 2011 be considered my "departure year" even though I'm not leaving until end of January? And for 2012 taxes (I know, I like to plan ahead), we'll be able to just file regularly? I mean jointly of course, we'll be married by that time, but there won't be any silly cross-border stuff to worry about?

And third and final question, I'm closing my bank accounts here in Canada. Even though it's RBC, I'll be in California and all the branches I see in the States are on the East Coast, a little too far to travel if I have to make deposits and whatnot. However, I want to keep my credit card. Don't really know how that works, RBC has an American credit card, right? That won't affect taxes if I switch?

So, kinda more than three questions. Thanks so much for reading! Any info or suggestions are appreciated!

Samantha (CANADA) and Daniel (USA)

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

For 2012, as long as you have your ssn and are married, you can just file regularly as Married and separate or married and joint (check both as it can make a difference in the tax bill/refund).

The credit card is just that and won't affect taxes. it will work anywhere in the states.

as for the canadian taxes, someone with experience there can help you better. I would be making a (most likely wrong) guess. :-)

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

I would leave your Canadian RBC account open. You can apply and get EI and they will DFT to a Canadian Bank.

Plus, you will need somewhere for your 2011 tax refund to go.

If you have a US RBC account (you can set it up at your local Canadian branch) then you can just transfer back and forth online. You will get a Visa check card (our debit card but a little different) and can get a Visa through them.

I got a pamphlet from RBC because they've sold the US branches to another company (the pamphlet is in the RBC thread in the Canada forum) but it was saying you can deposit cheques using a scanner.

Totally unsure about US taxes though.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We use H&R block to file in the USA, if you are filing married joint the first year you will have to account for all your Canadian income/ stocks stuff etc.

Make sure you get a specialized person that deals with international taxes/ Canadian taxes as well as US taxes.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure about the taxes, but leave your Canadian account open as you may want to collect employment insurance and have your tax return direct deposited, and the CRA won't direct deposit into a US account.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks so much for all your replies! <3 There's just these few I'm still not too sure on.

I just read that if I wire the money directly to our bank account in the States, that the bank will declare it so we won't have to on taxes or something? Is that true? If we still have to claim it on his US taxes, how does that work?

And for Canadian taxes can I mark 2011 as my departure year, even though I won't be moving until January or February 2012? December 17th is my last day at work, so technically I'm not making any sort of income come 2012, if that helps.

I'm really tax-inept, have noooo idea what I'm doing! Thanks!

Samantha (CANADA) and Daniel (USA)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.