raindrop

Civil marriage in US, filing in Hungary

6 posts in this topic

hi raindrop

go to the link below and read about DCF...i was always under the impression that doing a DCF was for when you get married outside the States..hope the link helps i didnt read it cos im off to work in a minny lol

take care hope it helps

kath

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...custom&page=dcf

REMOVING CONDITIONS

11th Aug 2008 - Mailed I-751 to CSC.

12th Aug 2008 - Application received

14th Aug 2008 - Cheque cashed

18th Aug 2008 - Received NOA-dated the 12th

26th Aug 2008 - Received Biometrics letter

4th Sept 2008 - Biometrics-Detroit-Complete-'Touched'

5th Sept 2008 - 'Touched'

1st Dec 2008 - APPROVED-Card production ordered -112 days

8th Dec 2008 - USCIS mailed approval notice.

8th Dec 2008 - Received my 10 year Greencard in the mail. took 2 days.

Although I have the above date for approval my card actualy states the

2nd December..

Does anyone know if we were to marry in the US, if we would be able to do DCF in Hungary?

Thanks!!!

There is no reason why you can not marry in the US then file DCF abroad. As long as the marriage is legal and the petitioner and beneficiary fulfill the DCF requirements then you can file DCF, doesn't matter where the marriage took place.

In practice, most people who marry in the US stay in the US and adjust status. They don't leave the US to file DCF, but nothing says they can't.

Filed: Timeline

The only reason I would consider filing abroad, would be in hopes of my fiance getting his paperwork faster. I know filing here in CA, could take up to a couple years. Filing in Hungary, would get him his paperwork within 4 months. Give or take. That would be the only reason I would consider it.

Thanks!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

There is nothing wrong with marrying in the US (where it is easier and faster than other places) and filing DCF abroad. I know of someone who is overseas doing so right now after a US marriage.

rain, your dilema of course is if your fiance can get back to the US. Have you looked into Canada?

Edited by meauxna

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.