hubcap

Getting married with a TN-1 visa

22 posts in this topic

If I were you I will NOT leave the US. I got married to an American on a TN. You will 100% be denied entry because that's what happene to me!!!!

I'm on TN. Got married to American in Canada, 2 days after the wedding, we tried to return to the US and I was denied. I'm in Canada and he's in US. You dont want to be like us! Now we have to file for I-130 and I-129F.

Also, I would talk to a lawyer. But I agree with the other people, you can renew your new TN so it be past the November date and you'll have more time to take care of the AOS and EAD.

And no matter what, DO NOT LEAVE THE US. You're can't return if they find out you're married to an American!

Trust me! I'm a living example right here!

I-130 Sent : July 17, 06

NOA1 : July 27

Nov 22, file is 'pending'

Nov 28, Touched

Dec 4, APPROVED!!!! ^__^

Dec 6, NVC Case Number Assigned

Dec 18, DS-3032 & AOS bill sent

Dec 21, NVC accepted choice of agent via email

Dec 22, Sent AOS bill using James' shortcuts

Dec 25, IV Bill Generated

Jan 9, Sent I-864 using James' shortcuts

Jan 15, IV bill arrived

Jan 16, IV Bill Paid

Jan 19, IV bill processed

Jan 22, I-864 being reviewed

Jan 29, Sent DS-230 using James' shortcuts

Feb 13, CASE COMPLETED!!

Apr 13, INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!

Apr 28, Entered USA, POE Vancouver. Told that my visa stamp serves as a temporary Green Card.

I-129F Sent : Aug 20, 06

NOA1 : Aug 31, 06

Oct 23, 06, received email that case forwarded to CSC

Oct 27, 06, received email saying that case has reached CSC

Nov 22, 06, note said file received and pending

Dec 13, 06, Touched with same note as above

ABANDONING K3

I-751 Sent on Jan 28, 09 to remove conditions

Feb 1 - Check cashed

Feb 25 - Biometrics

Jun 1 - Approved! (Decision date was May 26, 09)

Now waiting for green card...

If I were you I will NOT leave the US. I got married to an American on a TN. You will 100% be denied entry because that's what happene to me!!!!

I'm on TN. Got married to American in Canada, 2 days after the wedding, we tried to return to the US and I was denied. I'm in Canada and he's in US. You dont want to be like us! Now we have to file for I-130 and I-129F.

Also, I would talk to a lawyer. But I agree with the other people, you can renew your new TN so it be past the November date and you'll have more time to take care of the AOS and EAD.

And no matter what, DO NOT LEAVE THE US. You're can't return if they find out you're married to an American!

Exactly one of the reasons I straight-off binned my late mum's suggestion in 1998 (at a time when "hurry-up-and-wait" on my employment-based GC process was causing me much frustration) of marrying a USC.

(a plethora of others including that this suggestion was a not-so-subtle hint to turn over the marriage search issue to her--which would have been a total disaster--rather than defer it till after getting GC).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Powerful personal experience!

Sorry to hear of your troubles & hope you can get it resolved quickly. ish. :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

The company I'm working for has a lawyer that specializes in immigration, so I'm going to speak with him. Isn't it a red flag to apply for a TN early? What do I say if they ask me why I'm applying early?

How did they find out you got married? Did they ask you, or is it in the system somewhere? Either way, we've decided not to leave the country until my AOS comes through.

The company I'm working for has a lawyer that specializes in immigration, so I'm going to speak with him. Isn't it a red flag to apply for a TN early? What do I say if they ask me why I'm applying early?

No, this is actually done quite oft. All that happens is a penalty of the remaining validity of the previous one. I actually asked this question of the Calgary PFI in Oct. 1994 (from Atlanta).

How did they find out you got married? Did they ask you, or is it in the system somewhere? Either way, we've decided not to leave the country until my AOS comes through.

Yes, it gets entered into a computer system to which they have access.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

You don't have to wait until the AOS comes through.. you only have to wait until Advanced Parole comes through...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Powerful personal experience!

Sorry to hear of your troubles & hope you can get it resolved quickly. ish. :)

Thanks meauxna.....hehe

yes, please speak to your lawyer in the company that specializes in immigration.. we should have done that .. but alas.. we were STUPID.. (was too busy planning for the wedding.. ahahah)

no it's not a red flag to apply for a TN early.. mine was expiring in Nov and I renewed it in Sept.. they asked me why and I said I won't be able to 'cross the border' in Nov.. and since I'm flying back from England.. i wanted to renew the TN.. they made fun of me for a bit saying.. o... she's here to renew her TN cause she doesn't have money to buy a ticket to fly across the border to renew her TN (I'm like.. WHATEVER) ... but they gave it to me anyway.

They asked my husband if we were married and he said YES!!! Seriously, before I went in line, I really wanted to have both of us take off our wedding bands.. but my husband was telling me to calm down and look what happened????? He couldn't lie and said we were NOT married cause we have wedding bands on... u know?

But yes, unless absolutely necessary, do not leave the US until you have sorted out the legal side of the stuff... good luck! You dont wanna be me!! I just dont want someone else to go through this living hell like what I'm going through right now!! Married for 2 days and separated...with my poor hubby having sandwiches and TV dinners every night! sniff sniff :crying:

I-130 Sent : July 17, 06

NOA1 : July 27

Nov 22, file is 'pending'

Nov 28, Touched

Dec 4, APPROVED!!!! ^__^

Dec 6, NVC Case Number Assigned

Dec 18, DS-3032 & AOS bill sent

Dec 21, NVC accepted choice of agent via email

Dec 22, Sent AOS bill using James' shortcuts

Dec 25, IV Bill Generated

Jan 9, Sent I-864 using James' shortcuts

Jan 15, IV bill arrived

Jan 16, IV Bill Paid

Jan 19, IV bill processed

Jan 22, I-864 being reviewed

Jan 29, Sent DS-230 using James' shortcuts

Feb 13, CASE COMPLETED!!

Apr 13, INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!

Apr 28, Entered USA, POE Vancouver. Told that my visa stamp serves as a temporary Green Card.

I-129F Sent : Aug 20, 06

NOA1 : Aug 31, 06

Oct 23, 06, received email that case forwarded to CSC

Oct 27, 06, received email saying that case has reached CSC

Nov 22, 06, note said file received and pending

Dec 13, 06, Touched with same note as above

ABANDONING K3

I-751 Sent on Jan 28, 09 to remove conditions

Feb 1 - Check cashed

Feb 25 - Biometrics

Jun 1 - Approved! (Decision date was May 26, 09)

Now waiting for green card...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.