frostiana

Bringing goods from Ontario Unaccompanied

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good Morning,

Next Week my husband and a friend will go to my hometown near Windsor with a U-haul van or small truck, pick my 70 or so small boxes of belongings, plus several small things like lamps, a vacuum cleaner, etc. and bring them back over the bridge or tunnel to our home in Michigan. Plus a small suitcase where I have my personal stuff like some toiletries, medicine, jewelry box. I poe'd on November 10 and we were married on the 18th. They will have all the proper documentation: the form 3299, photocopies of my passport and Kvisa, and a list of the items. All the boxes have been numbered and I made a list just stating "household", "Kitchen", "books" "plates"... whatever items were in the boxes on the accompanying list.

Does anyone have any advice or experience they can share? We assume they will be secondaried... has anyone just gone right through without secondary?

How long does the secondary inspection take?

Thanks for any advice.:help:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good Morning,

Next Week my husband and a friend will go to my hometown near Windsor with a U-haul van or small truck, pick my 70 or so small boxes of belongings, plus several small things like lamps, a vacuum cleaner, etc. and bring them back over the bridge or tunnel to our home in Michigan. Plus a small suitcase where I have my personal stuff like some toiletries, medicine, jewelry box. I poe'd on November 10 and we were married on the 18th. They will have all the proper documentation: the form 3299, photocopies of my passport and Kvisa, and a list of the items. All the boxes have been numbered and I made a list just stating "household", "Kitchen", "books" "plates"... whatever items were in the boxes on the accompanying list.

Does anyone have any advice or experience they can share? We assume they will be secondaried... has anyone just gone right through without secondary?

My only advice is to take the tunnel and not the bridge. Those people at the bridge are not nice.

Good Luck and welcome to Michigan. Hopefully my husband will be following you in the coming months from Windsor. I'll be waiting to see how the move goes for your husband.

Married 10-27-2011

I-130 Sent : 11-12-2011

I-130 NOA1 : 11-22-2011

I-130 Approved : 5-25-2012

NVC Received : 6-19-2012

Received NVC Case # : 6-22-2012

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 7-9-2012

Pay I-864 Bill 7-9-2012

Receive I-864 Package : 7-10-2012

Return Completed I-864 :7-10-2012

Receive IV Bill : 7-17-2012

Pay IV Bill : 7-18-2012

Emailed DS-260: 7-22-2012

RFE: 7-30-2012

Sent RFE docs: 7-31-2012

Case Complete 8-7-2012

Interview Date: 9-24-2012

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!! YEA!!

POE:9/29/2012

as1cJWP0g410500MDAwMTQwOGx8MDAwOT dzfHNpbmNlIHdlIGdvdCBtYXJyaWVk.gif

event.png [/url][/img]

event.png

My husband did this for me a few weeks ago and crossed the Ambassador Bridge with no problems. Just make sure that he has a copy of your K-1 visa, I-94 Card and a list of your inventory as the customs officer asked him to read off all the items (and it was a full uhaul :) ). They x-rayed the UHaul but didn't search it. Overall it went very smooth and was painless.

I actually find the Customs Agents friendlier at the bridge than the tunnel and before I moved to the US, I crossed 2-3 times per week.

Timeline

My husband did this for me a few weeks ago and crossed the Ambassador Bridge with no problems. Just make sure that he has a copy of your K-1 visa, I-94 Card and a list of your inventory as the customs officer asked him to read off all the items (and it was a full uhaul :) ). They x-rayed the UHaul but didn't search it. Overall it went very smooth and was painless.

I actually find the Customs Agents friendlier at the bridge than the tunnel and before I moved to the US, I crossed 2-3 times per week.

Thanks! May I ask how detailed your list was? I have a list that is really detailed, as in one lamp, china plates, electric alarm clock, etc.

But I was thinking I should streamline it for the border as in "Kitchen", "household - books etc."

I am guessing you would approve of the more detailed list?

:luv:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Same for me.. i lived 6 months in Windsor and David and i went back and forth across the bridge, they got to know us and started asking us when the visa was gonna get here lol. Make it real easy to go through after a few times and in 2ndary as well.

HWDWm6.png

Thanks! May I ask how detailed your list was? I have a list that is really detailed, as in one lamp, china plates, electric alarm clock, etc.

But I was thinking I should streamline it for the border as in "Kitchen", "household - books etc."

I am guessing you would approve of the more detailed list?

:luv:

I had all of the boxes numbered and did have a somewhat detailed description: cookware, glassware, women's clothing, etc.

I also forgot to mention that I had filled out Customs Form 3299 but I don't think they asked for it. It's probably better to have just in case.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Same for me.. i lived 6 months in Windsor and David and i went back and forth across the bridge, they got to know us and started asking us when the visa was gonna get here lol. Make it real easy to go through after a few times and in 2ndary as well.

My husband has been going back and forth from Windsor every weekend for 2 years. He always gets a hassle at the bridge. I wonder why it's so different for others. Maybe it's his loud muscle car:). I always take the tunnel and never have a problem. Anyway, good luck.

Married 10-27-2011

I-130 Sent : 11-12-2011

I-130 NOA1 : 11-22-2011

I-130 Approved : 5-25-2012

NVC Received : 6-19-2012

Received NVC Case # : 6-22-2012

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 7-9-2012

Pay I-864 Bill 7-9-2012

Receive I-864 Package : 7-10-2012

Return Completed I-864 :7-10-2012

Receive IV Bill : 7-17-2012

Pay IV Bill : 7-18-2012

Emailed DS-260: 7-22-2012

RFE: 7-30-2012

Sent RFE docs: 7-31-2012

Case Complete 8-7-2012

Interview Date: 9-24-2012

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!! YEA!!

POE:9/29/2012

as1cJWP0g410500MDAwMTQwOGx8MDAwOT dzfHNpbmNlIHdlIGdvdCBtYXJyaWVk.gif

event.png [/url][/img]

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't have any personal experience with this but I would make sure your husband has a copy of your I-94 (not just the visa... although if your I-94 was stapled right next to your visa the photocopy should naturally show both documents :) ) since that's proof that you POE'd and activated your visa.

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

I don't have any personal experience with this but I would make sure your husband has a copy of your I-94 (not just the visa... although if your I-94 was stapled right next to your visa the photocopy should naturally show both documents :) ) since that's proof that you POE'd and activated your visa.

yes I meant the I 94 also. I think I will make a list that is fairly brief and include the detailed one in case they want more details. Can't wait for this too to be overwith!!

Thanks everyone for the advice! :star:

Timeline

My only advice is to take the tunnel and not the bridge. Those people at the bridge are not nice.

I've always had smooth crossings using the Ambassador. Even SOME had a sense of humour!!! :wow:

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

• 3 weeks later...

Good Morning,

I know this is old, but I was just curious, what hometown near Windsor? I also grew up in that general area, so I'm just curious :)

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.