Lisa15

Having A Baby

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am a US citizen and I am currently pregnant, i was wondering if i have my baby in canada will that cause problems with my husbands paperwork? will we have to redo everything? we have been for his visa interview and we were told that he needs a I-601 approval before they issue him a visa. any advice is much appreciated. thanks for the help.

What is your status with the Canadian government? If you aren't a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or landed immigrant and have resided for a certain amount of time in Canada you wouldn't be covered by Canadian Medicare for your care or the infants' care.

I am by no means knowledgeable with the intricacies of US immigration, but if you were to have the baby in Canada you would need to file a CRBA for him/her for their US citizenship and you would also need to amend your Affidavit of Support to include another family member. Not sure about anything else.

Edited by hikergirl

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

What is your status with the Canadian government? If you aren't a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or landed immigrant and have resided for a certain amount of time in Canada you wouldn't be covered by Canadian Medicare for your care or the infants' care.

I am by no means knowledgeable with the intricacies of US immigration, but if you were to have the baby in Canada you would need to file a CRBA for him/her for their US citizenship and you would also need to amend your Affidavit of Support to include another family member. Not sure about anything else.

thanks. im here as a visitor.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You would definitely have to look into your medical insurance to see if they will cover a out of country birth. If not I am sure it would be a similar cost as having a baby in the US without insurance (so ~ 10k for an uncomplicated birth).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.