Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  


2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I'm posting this as a reminder to myself and it may help someone else. I post today sparked my curiosity about fiing joint taxes in the US. So I called the IRS to ask how to go about filing. First, it is completely optional whether you want to file joint taxes with the non resident spouse (Mr. Tate wanted to make absolutely sure that I knew that). Publication 519 page 10 decribes how to go about the process http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf. Mr. Tate asked if my husband has a social security number which he does not. I was informed that we would have to complete form W-7 to request an EIN for him http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf. We would also need a notorized copy of his passport (he suggested my husband go to the US Embassy for that). All forms (and tax return) needed to be mailed to the address listed on the W-7. If you opt to do this you cannot e-file.

This was certainly informative for me. I hope it helps someone else.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.