monkeyjuice5150

Anyone moved to VN for professional work?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm thinking about moving to VN, and find work at a professional business. Life in the U.S. is getting dull, thought I might spice it up for a change. I've been around most of the U.S. already and experienced all the life styles there is to offer here. My employment pays me great, and I don't mind a downgrade if I'm enjoying life out in VN. BTW, wife wouldn't mind either.

I would love to hear some of your thoughts. Would you do it?

Edited by monkeyjuice5150

I'm thinking about moving to VN, and find work at a professional business. Life in the U.S. is getting dull, thought I might spice it up for a change. I've been around most of the U.S. already and experienced all the life styles there is to offer here. My employment pays me great, and I don't mind a downgrade if I'm enjoying life out in VN. BTW, wife wouldn't mind either.

I would love to hear some of your thoughts. Would you do it?

If you don't mind, what's your age? Are you VK? how well do you know about VNese culture? Able to speak the language?

If you don't mind, what's your age? Are you VK? how well do you know about VNese culture? Able to speak the language?

27, Born in the states. Started doing some traveling after my 20's. I've been traveling back and forth visiting my wife of little over a year now. 5th trip so far. I am Vietnamese decent, so I picked up my native language quite quick. I can speak it since it is my second language, but cannot write a perfect sentence or use their diacritical.

I've also met some Japanese men in Hanoi, who works in the professional work force, and they do not speak Vietnamese at all. Seems like they are getting by pretty easily. In big cities, English is the universal language, from my experiences.

27, Born in the states. Started doing some traveling after my 20's. I've been traveling back and forth visiting my wife of little over a year now. 5th trip so far. I am Vietnamese decent, so I picked up my native language quite quick. I can speak it since it is my second language, but cannot write a perfect sentence or use their diacritical.

I've also met some Japanese men in Hanoi, who works in the professional work force, and they do not speak Vietnamese at all. Seems like they are getting by pretty easily. In big cities, English is the universal language, from my experiences.

Some people think it's fun to stay in line for hours, in some cases days, for Black Friday deals (which imho is NOT that great of a deal anyway). If you think life in the US is boring, go seek the thrill over there then. Only you can learn the experience for your life and determine if the thrill is worth the price.

You're still young enough to make any life changing move in the event your bubble is burst.

BTW, have you asked your parents? I'm sure with their life experiences, they can share with you a few advices about the place they grew up.

Edited by GobbleGobble

Some people think it's fun to stay in line for hours, in some cases days, for Black Friday deals (which imho is NOT that great of a deal anyway). If you think life in the US is boring, go seek the thrill over there then. Only you can learn the experience for your life and determine if the thrill is worth the price.

You're still young enough to make any life changing move in the event your bubble is burst.

BTW, have you asked your parents? I'm sure with their life experiences, they can share with you a few advices about the place they grew up.

Their time was before the war, so life was harsh back then for them.

Now, its not so much if you have an stable income.

Their time was before the war, so life was harsh back then for them.

Now, its not so much if you have an stable income.

They (your parents) have something that you don't, experience of how life is over there. They know the "nature" of its people. Trust me, old habits rarely ever change.

You might thrive here in the States, but I'll bet my life that they on the other hand will champ you over there!

Lots of Vnese, born and raised there, then left VN for better life in the US. After retirement, they decide to come back there and lose everything they've worked so hard for. Do you think you have more life experience than those folks?

Edited by GobbleGobble

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Make sure you understand the laws and "politics"!

There are plenty of written and unwritten rules you will need to know to be successful.

It is not like the USA where everything is written in a contract.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

To be honest, I can visit Vietnam and live there for about 3 months (6 is pushing it). I don't think the car, the house or the food from the States are any better that in Vietnam but something that I can't live without (freedom I think...lol). I'll probably go nut and kill someone if I live in VN too long. It's just my humble opinion.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I think it really depends on what experience and education you have. What field are you looking to get into in VN? Maybe you can PM guys like Jerome and Mark for example. They have been living in VN for a while now. Honestly, I have been thinking about this for a while too. I only get 2 weeks paid vacation from my current employer which sucks big time. I was thinking of setting up a small online business that can give me a lot of flexibility like traveling to VN for up to 3-4 weeks at a time. These are all just ideas at this point because I am working full-time and going to Graduate school full-time and I don't have time to setup any business.

Anyways, I am getting off topic. Being Vietnamese is good because it can help you get assimilated easier in VN. Again, if you want to find work in VN it all depends on your education and experience. If you have teaching experience maybe you can consider becoming an English teacher. Jerome knows a lot about this. What would you really like to do?

K1 Visa Stage
Aug 23, 2010: I-129F NOA 1
Feb 07, 2011: I-129F NOA 2
May 23, 2011: Interview. Blue Slip
Jun 20, 2011: Submit Documents: 1) Timeline, 2) 10 year residency(me), 3) 10 year residency(Thu), 4) Letter explaining how/where we met. Second Blue Slip
Feb 03, 2012: U.S. Consulate Investigators call Thu's residence. Spoke to Thu and Thu's parents
Feb 27, 2012: Received email from the U.S. Consulate that our case is finished processing. Requested to submit updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 06, 2012: Submitted updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 21, 2012: Received K1 Visa
Apr 07, 2012: Point of Entry @ LAX

Adjustment of Status Stage
Apr 23, 2012: Got married!
Apr 30, 2012: Received Social Security Card
Jun 30, 2012: Applied for AOS
Sep 22, 2012: Received Employment Authorization Card...Still waiting for 2 yr GC

May 01, 2013: Received 2yr GC

Removal of Conditions Stage

Apr 18, 2015: Will apply for 10yr GC

Then just move over there and live for a while. You'll have hands-on experience to make the comparison for yourself! Different strokes for different folks.

PS. Make sure to ask your lady this question first before making that decision :"What factor(s) make(s) (made) you decide to marry someone half the world away from your hometown instead of someone that possibly has a perfect bone marrow match for you right in your hometown?"

If life in VN isn't that much worse compared to the US (according to some of you anything found here in the US can be done the same in VN), why bother with someone here in the US? Wouldn't it make more sense to marry someone over there?

A few weeks or months in Vietnam will NOT expose you to all the "hidden" gems in Vietnam! But you wouldn't believe people's recommendation anyway. You've got to see with your eyes to believe it! Go! Go!

Make sure you can come back in one piece!

To be honest, I can visit Vietnam and live there for about 3 months (6 is pushing it). I don't think the car, the house or the food from the States are any better that in Vietnam but something that I can't live without (freedom I think...lol). I'll probably go nut and kill someone if I live in VN too long. It's just my humble opinion.

Really? Then please explain to me why US $1 = VN $21 THOUSAND?

I'm no economist but it looks to me VN $1 lacks something that people might have an interest in it, compared to the US dollars.

Edited by GobbleGobble

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.