dux_2002

Applying for K1 while outside of both of our native countries?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi Everyone, my first post and thank god i found this forum!

Me and my girlfriend met about a year ago while we were backpacking and still currently are. We currently live in Australia on a 12 month visa but have had no solid address for the last 13 months.

We are looking to apply for the K1 visa now, but don't know how hard it will be as we both currently live in a remote town in Australia - we do, however want to get the process started as we don't want to be separated for a great period of time after our visa runs out here.

The questions i have really, are,

will the fact that we are backpacking and therefore not in the US, not earning Money in the US and have lived in countless places over the last year count against us?

Would having her Mother as a co-sponsor help? We should have about $20,000 U$ between us when we leave here in a joint account.

Finally, when I come to do the interview, would I have to fly back and have it in the UK (where i am originally from) or could i have it in Sydney?

Thank you for any advise you can give.

Marc

As long as you can prove you are legally residing in Australia you can have the interview there. Because the USC currently has no income you will need a co-sponsor but it sounds like you already have that partially figured out. As far as the address issue...I'm not really sure. We did our k-1 while living in a 3rd county but we had a permanent address (although there was no door to door postal service and everything was received through PO box). I have a few suggestions that may or may not be an option:

- Using the address of a reliable trusted friend that can and will get a hold of you when they receive something (this one makes the most sense to me)

- Getting a P.O. box (not sure if the USCIS will send to PO boxes this might be country specific)

- Requesting that all information be sent via email (not sure if this is an option but thought I would put it out there)

Hopefully somebody else will come along and tweak or offer better suggestions.

Congrats to you and your fiancee!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.