Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Timeline

hi all,

I have read a post here about applying for the new ssn after getting green card as the old one says "only able to work with authorization from DHS" and it was also mentioned there that u should not give ur old ssn to the social security offfice. Is that what we are supposed to do? i mean i have got my green card a week ago and my ssn says the same thing. am i supposed to change my status with ssn. also should i retain the old ss card? kindly advice.

will apperciate any help :)

Edited by jess1


Date Filed : June 9, 2009

NOA Date : June 18, 2009

Bio. Appt. : July 22, 2009

Interview : Sept 22, 2009 *Approved*

Oath : Sept 30, 2009

Applied Passport : Sept 30. 2009

Received passport: Oct 07, 2009

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia

Getting the card changed is not a requirement. It is just something that seems to bother some people. The card you have is perfectly legal and the green card is the homeland security authorization.

You can get a new card if you want. They will probably try to take the old one when you do. If you think you might be changing jobs soon then you can probably just tell them you lost the card and leave it at home.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Timeline

When an individual was previously issued an SSN card with “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS (or DHS) AUTHORIZATION” printed on it and has been granted permanent residency, he or she can apply for a replacement SSN card that reflects the new immigration status.

An alien granted permanent residency status is eligible to be issued an unrestricted SSN card and will retain the originally assigned SSN.

An alien applying for a work-authorized replacement SSN card must present evidence to establish identity and employment authorization.

When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA will not accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative probative value of documents.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence of identity on the SSA Website at:


Employment Authorization Documents:

-- I-551 (Stamp or card)

Documents that establish lawfully admitted for permanent residence (LAPR)

-- I-551 card

NOTE: Some LAPR aliens have conditional 2-year I-551s (Alien Registration Receipt Card), subject to the limitation that they must apply for removal of the conditional basis 90 days before the second anniversary of the admittance date to the United States. A conditional I-551 is identified by an expiration date 2 years later than the admittance/adjudication date is acceptable proof of permanent residency.

-- Temporary I-551

Temporary evidence of immigrant status is issued for an alien to use

until the permanent I-551 card is received. This may be a stamp in the individual's passport or on the I-94.

RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence:


Take the required documents, to the nearest Social Security office.

You can obtain the address and directions to the nearest Social Security office from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet at:


Normally, an SSN card should be received in the mail within two weeks after the application and document(s) have been received and verified.

However, when an alien requests an original SSN or replacement SSN card, SSA will verify his or her documents and current status with the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security. If verification is not available through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA will send Form G-845 for manual verification.

RM 00203.720 Verifying Immigration Documents:


All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the Form SS-5.

Do Not Do Not let them take your card until you get the new one. Say the dog ate it. LOL

Edited by mdyoung

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...