slappycat

establishing credit before I come

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I'll be moving to US on spouse visa in a year or so. We live in japan now. We have consular approval but haven't done green card application yet 'cos too early.

I'm worried that I will arrive without any credit history in the US and would like to prepare somehow. Has anyone had any experience with new resident credit issues? Can I transfer credit history from abroad? Is there anything I can do to build credit before I have an address and a social security number?

Thanks for your help

Jan

Hi,

I'll be moving to US on spouse visa in a year or so. We live in japan now. We have consular approval but haven't done green card application yet 'cos too early.

I'm worried that I will arrive without any credit history in the US and would like to prepare somehow. Has anyone had any experience with new resident credit issues? Can I transfer credit history from abroad? Is there anything I can do to build credit before I have an address and a social security number?

Thanks for your help

Jan

Don't bother. Once you get to the USA, your credit is zero and you will need to start from scratch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

us_tx_2faws_small.gif Lauren - Texas, USA and James - England, UK 3dflagsdotcom_uk_2faws.gif

28th May 06 - Arrive in Texas!

8th July 06 - Married!!!

3rd August 06 - EAD received at USCIS

29th August 06 - Biometrics

18th September 06 - Case (AOS) transfered to CSC on 9/14 (advised by mail)

4/6/10th October 06 - EAD touched!

11th October 06 - Email from USCIS - EAD Approved on 10/10! Card on the way!

16th October 06 - EAD card received!

16th October 06 - EAD Application email received confirming letter to be sent.

22nd February 07 - Email sent to USCIS requesting an update.

5th March 07 - Case touched! AOS is now "pending" at the CSC! Progress!

5th March 07 - Email from CSC confirming I am awaiting the results of the FBI name check.

27th April 07 - Email received. A notice requesting additional info has been mailed.

4th May 07 - RFE letter arrived.

21st May 07 - RFE docs returned to USCIS by mail.

6th June 07 - Email from CRIS saying RFE received and case processing has resumed!

26th June 07 - Phone call from a USCIS officer at the CSC in California asking for a copy of my I-94 by fax.

27th June 07 - InfoPass appointment at 745am.

12th August 07 - Email from CRIS - Green Card on order as of 8/11!

15th August 07 - Email from CRIS - Welcome Notice sent.

18th August 07 - Welcome Notice Received.

20th August 07 - GC received!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

you will arrive with nothing credit wise. Maybe your spouse could put you on his american bank account but that doesn't do much...

You'll really need to start building it once you get here.

You'll need a social security number to get credit.

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.