Ash&Dave

Do I need a list of items I'm carring with me to the POE

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys,

Last minute anxiety I suppose, I haven't compiled a list of things I'm carrying with me to the POE tomorrow. My stuff is mostly in cardboard boxes and a few suitcases, some of the stuff might just be laying around on the floor of the car, one thing for sure, the car is going to be completely full. Anyway, are they actually going to go through the stuff based on the items listed on the list? Do I even need the list, I have read on VJ that the list is only needed if you're shipping stuff to the US using a commercial shipping company. Quick response would be appreciated :) Thanks again!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys,

Last minute anxiety I suppose, I haven't compiled a list of things I'm carrying with me to the POE tomorrow. My stuff is mostly in cardboard boxes and a few suitcases, some of the stuff might just be laying around on the floor of the car, one thing for sure, the car is going to be completely full. Anyway, are they actually going to go through the stuff based on the items listed on the list? Do I even need the list, I have read on VJ that the list is only needed if you're shipping stuff to the US using a commercial shipping company. Quick response would be appreciated :) Thanks again!

I have been asking the same thing! People told me they don't need a list but that a list wouldn't hurt... just general categories..personal clothing, applicances.. whatever you are bringing. How did you resolve your car ? I am going through bluewater tomorrow... good luck to you!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Have general lists. You don't need itemized ones. You will probably not even be asked about them, but if you are, you can hand over your list which will show basic personal effects, ie 3 boxes of clothes; 1 box of books, 1 box of CDs, 1 laptop computer and printer, 1 folder of personal files, things like that. You are allowed to bring over your personal effects duty free as long as you have owned them for more than one year but they don't really check unless you appear to have some suspicious items - like 100 brand new CDs never opened, or 35 brand new watches, things like that. They are on the look out for those who are 'selling' under the guise of personal effects, or who are importing a whole lot of obviously brand new items without declaring them. That being said, I had a car packed with belongings, household plants and cats and they were not even interested. (The plants had their phytosanitary certificates and the cats had their veterinary records :) ). It is good, however, to be prepared.

Good luck!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

I have been asking the same thing! People told me they don't need a list but that a list wouldn't hurt... just general categories..personal clothing, applicances.. whatever you are bringing. How did you resolve your car ? I am going through bluewater tomorrow... good luck to you!!

Good luck to you as well :)

Timeline

Have general lists. You don't need itemized ones. You will probably not even be asked about them, but if you are, you can hand over your list which will show basic personal effects, ie 3 boxes of clothes; 1 box of books, 1 box of CDs, 1 laptop computer and printer, 1 folder of personal files, things like that. You are allowed to bring over your personal effects duty free as long as you have owned them for more than one year but they don't really check unless you appear to have some suspicious items - like 100 brand new CDs never opened, or 35 brand new watches, things like that. They are on the look out for those who are 'selling' under the guise of personal effects, or who are importing a whole lot of obviously brand new items without declaring them. That being said, I had a car packed with belongings, household plants and cats and they were not even interested. (The plants had their phytosanitary certificates and the cats had their veterinary records :) ). It is good, however, to be prepared.

Good luck!

Thank you so much! Great minds think alike, I actually did just that! On a simple word document, I had a few bullets with boxes, and suitcases and their contents. I didn't however put the number of boxes on the letter. I'm sure they can count. Also, I'm not labeling boxes!

Do they actually/physically go through your stuff? I'm a little unconfirtable with someone going through my perosonal stuff, but I guess it is what it is lol...

Just wanted to make sure if there wasn't a custom form to be filled out. Thanks again :)

Timeline

Thank you so much! Great minds think alike, I actually did just that! On a simple word document, I had a few bullets with boxes, and suitcases and their contents. I didn't however put the number of boxes on the letter. I'm sure they can count. Also, I'm not labeling boxes!

Do they actually/physically go through your stuff? I'm a little unconfirtable with someone going through my perosonal stuff, but I guess it is what it is lol...

Just wanted to make sure if there wasn't a custom form to be filled out. Thanks again :)

No custom form to use if the goods are accompanying you - just your own sort of list. What you describe should be fine. If you wanted to you could just write a #1, #2 on each box and correspond it to the list in case they did want to see something,not necessarily labeling each box but just making it easier for them to know where to look if they were only interested in one specific item - for example they could check out your CDs in box # 3 without having to worry about your clothes in boxes 1 & 2.

I have not actually heard of anyone entering the US with their personal belongings coming through a land POE from Canada who has been really searched. The most is a very basic 'look/see" and the only reason I remember that one is because the woman had to put her dog in its crate so they could check out the vehicle. I doubt you will have to worry about someone going through your personal stuff as it doesn't seem to be a high priority.

If you have anything coming in afterwards that is not being accompanied by you, then there is a customs form for unaccompanied goods that the person or carrier needs to have completed and ready to present at the border in order not to pay duty,but if it is accompanying you then just the list is fine.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Timeline

i didnt have one, i was too lazy, they didnt ask, they did ask me what a case in the back was apperntly it looked like a rifle case lawl but other then they were cool about it, they were very easy going about the whole thing

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Montreal, Canada
I-129F Sent : 2010-11-08 (Texas)
I-129F NOA1 : 2010-11-11 (Sent to Vermont)
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-04-14 said Toronto, sent to Montreal, well played
NVC Received : 2011-04-19
NVC Left : 2011-04-21
Consulate Received : 2011-04-29
Packet 3 Received : not yet lol
Packet 3 Sent : 2011-05-10
Packet 4 Received :2011-05-20
Interview Date :2011-08-10
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-08-19
POE: 2011-08-25
Marriage: 2011-09-03
AOS: 2011-10-13
NOA: 2011-10-27
Bio. Appt. : 2011-12-12
AOS Transfer to CSC: 2011-12-23
NOA 2 AP/EAD: 2011-12-23
AP/EAD in hand:2012-01-03

GC: 2012-04-02
ROC Sent: 2014-02-10

NOA:2014-02-13

Bio. Appt 2014-03-24

Timeline

No custom form to use if the goods are accompanying you - just your own sort of list. What you describe should be fine. If you wanted to you could just write a #1, #2 on each box and correspond it to the list in case they did want to see something,not necessarily labeling each box but just making it easier for them to know where to look if they were only interested in one specific item - for example they could check out your CDs in box # 3 without having to worry about your clothes in boxes 1 & 2.

I have not actually heard of anyone entering the US with their personal belongings coming through a land POE from Canada who has been really searched. The most is a very basic 'look/see" and the only reason I remember that one is because the woman had to put her dog in its crate so they could check out the vehicle. I doubt you will have to worry about someone going through your personal stuff as it doesn't seem to be a high priority.

If you have anything coming in afterwards that is not being accompanied by you, then there is a customs form for unaccompanied goods that the person or carrier needs to have completed and ready to present at the border in order not to pay duty,but if it is accompanying you then just the list is fine.

Great, thanks again for the response and explanation. Yeah, I might just label the boxes! Thanks again for clearing it up :) btw where did POE'd? I can't believed just used it as a verb lol!

i didnt have one, i was too lazy, they didnt ask, they did ask me what a case in the back was apperntly it looked like a rifle case lawl but other then they were cool about it, they were very easy going about the whole thing

Yeah, I'm right there with you on the laziness front lol! Which border crossing did you use to enter?

Edited by Ash&Dave

Timeline

I entered at the Bluewater Bridge from Sarnia to Port Huron. They were good. :)

Timeline

Great, thanks again for the response and explanation. Yeah, I might just label the boxes! Thanks again for clearing it up :) btw where did POE'd? I can't believed just used it as a verb lol!

Yeah, I'm right there with you on the laziness front lol! Which border crossing did you use to enter?

rainbow bridge, it took 3 hours though they told me i should have gone to the peice bridge or queenston there were so many tourests waiting to go in and get yelled at and ###### i wouldnt go there lol

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Montreal, Canada
I-129F Sent : 2010-11-08 (Texas)
I-129F NOA1 : 2010-11-11 (Sent to Vermont)
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-04-14 said Toronto, sent to Montreal, well played
NVC Received : 2011-04-19
NVC Left : 2011-04-21
Consulate Received : 2011-04-29
Packet 3 Received : not yet lol
Packet 3 Sent : 2011-05-10
Packet 4 Received :2011-05-20
Interview Date :2011-08-10
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-08-19
POE: 2011-08-25
Marriage: 2011-09-03
AOS: 2011-10-13
NOA: 2011-10-27
Bio. Appt. : 2011-12-12
AOS Transfer to CSC: 2011-12-23
NOA 2 AP/EAD: 2011-12-23
AP/EAD in hand:2012-01-03

GC: 2012-04-02
ROC Sent: 2014-02-10

NOA:2014-02-13

Bio. Appt 2014-03-24

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I entered at the Bluewater Bridge from Sarnia to Port Huron. They were good. :)

I am going at the Bluewater Bridge this forenoon. How long did they take with you? All I have is a couple of suitcases, a laptop and a bottle of sparkling wine :) I am going in my friend's car.

Timeline

I am going at the Bluewater Bridge this forenoon. How long did they take with you? All I have is a couple of suitcases, a laptop and a bottle of sparkling wine :) I am going in my friend's car.

Processing took about half an hour with the various forms to fill out and the instructions from the border authority (a very clear statement that the K-1 is only valid for 1 entry only and not to come back without the green card, that it was the saddest part of his duty to deny re-entry to spouses of US citizens who had left without the proper documentation). There were 3 other people undergoing some sort of processing when we were there so we waited about 10 minutes before they got to us. How long you will take will depend on how many others are being processed as well. Allow for an hour and you should be fine. We were in and out in 40 minutes.

Good luck! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would pack a box, mark it # 1 ect .. and in my itemised notes, I would say .. Box #1 - Clothes Box #2 Kitchen utensils, pots & pans Box #3 Pictures and music CDs.

Im sure you get the picture.

Ill be honest though, they never asked to see, they never asked about it, they didnt even ask how much money I was taking across the border. Not that they wont ask you, it really depends on your border guard, and I think its better to be safe than sorry, but I dont think they are looking for Box #1 3 blue shirts, 5 pairs of jeans, 2 pink sweaters 1 yellow sweater ... I dont think it needs to be that detailed.

I hope this eases your mind a little bit.

~~~ Hes the chance Im taking ~~~

April 2007 - Met online

Oct. 2008 - He came to Canada to meet me

Dec 25 2009 officially engaged

March 2010 - sent off I-129F

March 27 2010 - Vermont receives package :)

April 3 2010 - Informed through mail that cheque is cashed NOA1

May 28 2010 - RFE notification ( yeah Im online checking alot >.< )

June 5 2010 - RFE hardcopy received

June 18 2010 - RFE returned ( had done it June 7 - but USPS returned grrrr )

--- case says we should hear from them in 60 days from June 18 ---

June 23 - Touched

Aug4 - Email notification of NoA2 :)

Aug. 10 - NOA2 Hardcopy received

Sept. 13 - Faxed off Package 3

Sept 14 - Interview notification set for Oct. 5

Oct. 5 2010 Interview Passed

March 17 2011 POE Canadian/US border

April 1 2011 Marriage

Mailed AOS June 1

Chicago Lockbox confirms delivery June 3

Check cashed through bank - notification June 9

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.