Piefre

Getting Ready to Leave

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My POE date is coming up in about two weeks so I just wanted to make sure I wrap up everything in Canada before I go.

First, is this everyone I need to notify of my departure? (I've already dealt with my living arrangements):

Canada Revenue Agency (1-800-959-8281)

The big important one because these guys need to know I'm leaving so they can send me my tax documents.

Canada GST

Does anyone have the number for these people handy? I will have to call them separately because calling CRA alone won't cancel my GST checks from what I've seen.

Employment Canada (1-800-206-7218)

Not sure when I need to call these guys. I'm quitting 5 days before I move. That's not enough time for my workplace to do up my ROE (apparently) so I won't have that handy to file EI before I leave Canada. Do I just file a general claims form when I get my ROE from my employer, file for AOS/AP/EAD then wait for the EAD to come and send that to them? That's the impression I got anyway.

Utilities

Just gotta call and cancel my service.

Bank

Call and notify these people of my new address. I'm leaving some money in my bank account and keeping my credit card just so I still have credit up in Canada.

Next is POE and the situation with my belongings. I'm going to be flying down to the US so the amount of my belongings that I'm taking with me are somewhat limited. A lot of my stuff my parents will hold onto until my visits or send to me later so I can slowly move my things down instead of taking it all in one batch. So I'm planning to take two large suitcases and one carry-on's worth of belongings.

Do I need to make an itemized list of what I'm bringing or is that only applicable to those of us crossing the border by car?

My fiance is coming up to attend a going away party and to bring me down to the US with him, is he allowed to help carry some of my items down to the US in his luggage?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Utilities - you might want to call and setup a cancellation on a certain date. I know a lot of places have a "30 day notice" clause about cancelling services, even though this is never mentioned when you set it up. Calling to ask won't hurt anyway.

Bank - I set my mom up as my Power of Attorney on my account so she can do all of my banking for me. Don't know if this would help your situation but its pretty easy to do and makes sense if you trust the person.

I think you need to make an itemized list. Not sure if that applies to land crossing only but it never hurts to be prepared. Your fiance can bring your things in his luggage provided you are traveling together. Your belongings must accompany you OR FOLLOW but not precede you.

Timeline

Utilities - you might want to call and setup a cancellation on a certain date. I know a lot of places have a "30 day notice" clause about cancelling services, even though this is never mentioned when you set it up. Calling to ask won't hurt anyway.

I had no idea about this. How sneaky of them. I better get on calling them ASAP then. Thank you. :)

It's usually in the small print or terms of service on your bills, for what its worth. At my previous employer back in Canada I spent a lot of time getting freaked out at over 30 day disconnection policies and it was completely unwaivable and system-enforced. Worth it to read over the small print with any service provider, really. But yeah, annoying.

Edited by ralyse

K1:
10-27-10 : I129F Sent
11-03-10 : NOA1
04-06-11 : NOA2
06-20-11 : Medical (Toronto)
08-03-11 : Interview - APPROVED!
08-12-11 : Visa in Hand & POE
09-17-11 : Wedding <3

AOS:
11-02-11 : AOS Sent
12-05-11 : RFE
12-09-11 : Biometrics
01-11-12 : EAD/AP Card received
01-30-12 : AOS Interview
02-03-12 : Card Production Ordered
02-08-12 : Green Card received

ROC:

11-22-13 : ROC Sent

11-27-13 : NOA

12-17-13 : Biometrics

04-01-14 : RFE

05-16-14 : RFE Response Sent

05-22-14 : Card Production Ordered

05-30-14 : Card in hand

Timeline

I crossed by plane and they didn't need a list of my belongings. They scan your luggage anyways. Also as others have noted check out the cancellation policies- even though my phone was month to month Bell screwed me over and charged me for an extra month of use even though my phone was disconnected. It's pretty much bullcrap :( I have the number for the GST people and will post it here in a minute.

Timeline

The number for GST is 1 800 959 1953. If you're in Ontario (I'm posting from my phone and can't view profiles) the HST line is 1 877 627 6645. I just called and told them I am no longer a permanent resident and changed my address with the CRA.

With employment Canada, I'm not sure if it's better to call them before or after you move, all I know is that you have to file within 4 weeks of quitting your job.

Timeline

The number for GST is 1 800 959 1953. If you're in Ontario (I'm posting from my phone and can't view profiles) the HST line is 1 877 627 6645. I just called and told them I am no longer a permanent resident and changed my address with the CRA.

With employment Canada, I'm not sure if it's better to call them before or after you move, all I know is that you have to file within 4 weeks of quitting your job.

Thank you for the number! I'm hopefully all set now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.