doc4kids

what happens at the port of entry?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi I got my IR-1 visa about a onth ago and my husband and i are flying to the US together next month. Ive been in the US as a tourist twice already but just want to know your experience in the port of entry/immigration for the first time. What questions do they ask? What papers do they ask for? I know i have to bring my Xray plate and the envelope ( that can not be opened) from the US embassy. Just want to be ready... i heard they can be scary there at the port of entry. Thanks

Hi I got my IR-1 visa about a onth ago and my husband and i are flying to the US together next month. Ive been in the US as a tourist twice already but just want to know your experience in the port of entry/immigration for the first time. What questions do they ask? What papers do they ask for? I know i have to bring my Xray plate and the envelope ( that can not be opened) from the US embassy. Just want to be ready... i heard they can be scary there at the port of entry. Thanks

Hi doc4kids. Firstly congrats on getting your visa! That was the hard part, the rest is simple. I have an IR-1 visa too, so I can tell you exactly what to do. Depending on where you're flying to, some of the stuff may be different, but I'm pretty sure it's the same whichever POE you goto. Most important thing to have in your hand luggage(if you're allowed to have any nowadays)is the Mystery Brown Enveolpe you got from the Embassy when you went for your interview. It contains all your Visa paperwork and is the only set of documents that the Immigrartion officer will look at. The X-Ray I was just told to keep in my main luggage but I was never asked for it. I've actually posted my experience on what happened when I went through POE after getting my visa and I would encourage you to look at it.

My POE experience in Newark

One word of warning, what happened to me in terms of the wait is NOT an indication of your possible wait, but I would strongly recommend that if you going to be connecting to any flight after you get to the US that you leave at least 3-4 hours in between, just to be on the safe side. I didn't have any connecting flights to get on myself, just a very grouchy 10-month old daughter to deal with! :lol:

Good luck with everything and feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions! Don't worry about POE, it isn;t scary at all! It's kinda exciting knowing that the this time you are not going through as a tourist but a new US resident!

Anthony & Caitlin's Visa Journey

======================

Oct 2001 - Met on an internet dating website

10/21/2001 - Met in person for the first time in London!

Nov 2002 - Anthony & Caitlin get engaged in London!

03/20/2003 - Anthony & Caitlin get married in the UK :)

04/30/2005 - I-130 completed and sent off

05/03/2005 - Forgot to send it Marriage certificate, sent by post!

05/09/2005 - London Embassy notifies us of receipt of I-130

06/02/2005 - Pkt 3 received

08/02/2005 - Pkt 3 completed and sent back

09/30/2005 - Pkt 4 received - Interview date set for 4th November

09/09/2005 - First child is born! Baby girl named Brianna :)

Sept 2005 - Went to get up-to-date TD and MMR shots at local doctors

10/17/2005 - Medical exam in London

11/04/2005 - Interview at London Embassy - GOT THE VISA!!

04/30/2006 - First trip back to the States since getting visa - MRIV in passport stamped!

05/09/2006 - Flew back to the UK to complete sale of apartment

05/17/2006 - Received 'Welcome to the United States' letter

05/30/2006 - Green Card arrives in mail!! - Waiting for SSN now

07/10/2006 - The big move to Ohio!!

07/11/2006 - SSN doesn't arrive in mail, Anthony applies in person

07/18/2006 - Received SSN!!

08/22/2006 - Anthony gets his Ohio drivers license - journey is finally complete!!

Read my POE Experience in Newark

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Here's a thread with many POE experiences, so you know what to expect:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19229

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Congratulations on getting your visa. :)

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.