Kang

Amerasians

89 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Digressing a bit, I wonder how the servicemen have fared in distinguishing the real women from the.... "bennie boys" :rofl:

Damn, you made me spit out my coffee! That video proves my point...look hard enough and you can usually see it.

Hey, no more vids like this...ok, knock it off! :rofl:

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Not sure if I wanna touch that one...LOL! You know, I learned with my time in country, to look for the things that did not seem right. If a wanna be Pinay appears to be too perfect, better proportioned, very thin nose, near perfect face structure... something just AIN't (using my bad grammer) then you run. The hands and the feet usually do not lie.:no:

There is a joke in the Philippines that the most "beautiful women" may not be really women and the most handsome guys are not available since they have "boyfriends".

Timeline

There is a joke in the Philippines that the most "beautiful women" may not be really women and the most handsome guys are not available since they have "boyfriends".

:rofl: ...the first part is NO joke and the second part, well...better them than me.

Here are some hot babes for yah!

Hahahahaha...hey, I told you to knock it off!!!! I'm having coffee, and did I forget to mention, the coffee is hot!

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

:rofl: ...the first part is NO joke and the second part, well...better them than me.

Hahahahaha...hey, I told you to knock it off!!!! I'm having coffee, and did I forget to mention, the coffee is hot!

I guess, now it is no wonder why Pinays tend to marry out than Pinoys. There is a severe shortage! LOL

Timeline

I guess, now it is no wonder why Pinays tend to marry out than Pinoys. There is a severe shortage! LOL

Yeap, that behavior makes it easier for the real men.

Wow, sad that families have to remain apart because of governmental technicalities, no allowance for extenuating circumstances.

Sorry this happened to you.

Technically, he can still file for I-130 but since his daughter is over 21, they will have to wait for visa for like 10-20 years :bonk:

And sadly, there isn't any alternative relief.

Edited by Kang

Timeline

Technically, he can still file for I-130 but since his daughter is over 21, they will have to wait for visa for like 10-20 years :bonk:

And sadly, there isn't any alternative relief.

Yeah he can do that, now add those years to his current age...how much will he really be able to enjoy them? I guess regardless of the number of years to immigrate, the daughter and her kids could benefit from it eventually. So the I-130 would mostly benefit posterity.

It was 1988 when he was stationed in Subic. Most of his experiences I find it quite hilarious. Most of the time, they had to go out in a group coz they were being told that going alone isn't safe at all. One time they went into a bar and local girls started talking to them, the girl that my husband was talking to looked very young and was the daughter of the bar owner (he didn't know at first), the father approached their table and asked if he wants to marry his daughter...LOL

I have multiple thoughts about the whole issue of the movie. It saddened both me and my husband how the film was presented. Reality wise, some of those service men had a serious relationship with women who were not sex workers but for some reason that we don't know and not for us to judge, lost communications with each other after the Base was closed.

Although almost at the end of the movie they showed few White Amerasians too but I wish it was presented clearly on the movie why the 4 stories only evolved on black Amerasians? I kinda understand that probably they tried to portray the struggles of the black amerasians to fit in in Filipino society or in any society in general. For a country that is deeply rooted from Hispanic values and beliefs, ..."the whiter you are the prettier you are..." When you are an illegitimate child of white father you don't get the same criticism as of those child with black father.

In the case of Margarita, I think what the director implied is the cause and effect of the situation. MAYBE if Margarita's grandpa didn't abandoned her dad (just an assumption since it wasn't specified in the film) they should have a better life? Just a thought...

I wish the director and Robert (the journalist in the film) has blog of where they can answer all our questions. :)

He probably told you about "the river", did he? :whistle:

Any how, while I appreciate the film for "resurrecting" the issue, I do not appreciate the politics behind it. I feel that it espouses anti-American sentiments than actually focusing on the Amerasian stories (esp with the part where NGOs where interviewed). The personal stories are touching and disturbing but the "NGOs" are annoying.

Another disturbing thing is yes, you are right, the reinforcement of the stereotype that the mothers of the Amerasians are all prostitutes. While some may be, one cannot even generalize it. I have read and heard personal stories (No, not the "personal stories" read on the media) and the situation is really diverse. Some never knew they had a kid, some never heard from the mother again, some just lost touch like that, some did not allow the child to go with the father and went into hiding, while some relationships just did not work out. I wish they had at least humanized the "missing military fathers". Not all are "evil" as the media has been portraying them.

The film also did not share the OTHER side of the story -- fathers from the other part of the world looking for their sons and daughters.

Just read stories on search sites.

One more thing I think that complicated things is that many people working in Olongapo/Subic and Angeles/Clark are not from those places but came from different parts of the country. So when the bases closed, they went back to their hometowns where telecommunications and postal mail service are even more unreliable than in cities (it is not reliable in cities to begin with).

There is just so much stereotyping, unfortunately.

Yeah he can do that, now add those years to his current age...how much will he really be able to enjoy them? I guess regardless of the number of years to immigrate, the daughter and her kids could benefit from it eventually. So the I-130 would mostly benefit posterity.

You are right about the last one. Maybe be could file I-130 now.

By the way, it just struck me if Mr Jimmy tried consulting an immigration lawyer. From what I know, children of citizens born before November 1986 may have a chance to get derivative citizenship because the legitimization requirements aren't strict (just the length of residence which is 10 years but I don't think he has a problem with that). In the case of derivative citizenship, it is better to have a lawyer to beat the Consular Officers in their game. The COs don't usually tell about the derivative citizenship. It's like something that they want to keep a secret unless some immigration lawyers come in the picture.

Timeline

He probably told you about "the river", did he? :whistle:

Any how, while I appreciate the film for "resurrecting" the issue, I do not appreciate the politics behind it. I feel that it espouses anti-American sentiments than actually focusing on the Amerasian stories (esp with the part where NGOs where interviewed). The personal stories are touching and disturbing but the "NGOs" are annoying.

Another disturbing thing is yes, you are right, the reinforcement of the stereotype that the mothers of the Amerasians are all prostitutes. While some may be, one cannot even generalize it. I have read and heard personal stories (No, not the "personal stories" read on the media) and the situation is really diverse. Some never knew they had a kid, some never heard from the mother again, some just lost touch like that, some did not allow the child to go with the father and went into hiding, while some relationships just did not work out. I wish they had at least humanized the "missing military fathers". Not all are "evil" as the media has been portraying them.

The film also did not share the OTHER side of the story -- fathers from the other part of the world looking for their sons and daughters.

Just read stories on search sites.

One more thing I think that complicated things is that many people working in Olongapo/Subic and Angeles/Clark are not from those places but came from different parts of the country. So when the bases closed, they went back to their hometowns where telecommunications and postal mail service are even more unreliable than in cities (it is not reliable in cities to begin with).

There is just so much stereotyping, unfortunately.

You make several valid points here. However, I have not seen the entire film, just what I could find online.

Oh, the river outside of the former Subic Naval base? You mean sh!t river?

Derivative Citizenship:

http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/citizenship/derivative-claim-to-citizenship.html

it is likely that Pinky falls under this:

Child born out of wedlock to a U.S. Citizen father: A child born outside of the United States to a U.S. Citizen father where there is no marriage to the non-American mother is entitled to U.S. Citizenship provided the American citizen father had been physically present in the United States for the period of time as specified in previous paragraphs for children born in wedlock to one U.S. Citizen and one non-U.S. Citizen parent, either before or after November 14, 1986

I suspect Pinky may still have a chance on derivative citizenship.

You make several valid points here. However, I have not seen the entire film, just what I could find online.

Oh, the river outside of the former Subic Naval base? You mean sh!t river?

You missed the link? It's here in this thread. Let me post it again for you (to be downloaded, don't worry, it is clean, no STD :rofl: )

http://goaruna.com/s/lWggctzG - Left By The Ship 1_xvid.avi

http://goaruna.com/s/gYYoCA0Y - Left By The Ship 2_xvid.avi

http://goaruna.com/s/hxTN8XYV - Left By The Ship 3_xvid.avi

http://goaruna.com/s/w0yks6IS - Left By The Ship 4_xvid.avi

http://goaruna.com/s/Ze231BEW - Left By The Ship 5_xvid.avi

Edited by Kang

Timeline

Derivative Citizenship:

http://manila.usemba...itizenship.html

it is likely that Pinky falls under this:

Child born out of wedlock to a U.S. Citizen father: A child born outside of the United States to a U.S. Citizen father where there is no marriage to the non-American mother is entitled to U.S. Citizenship provided the American citizen father had been physically present in the United States for the period of time as specified in previous paragraphs for children born in wedlock to one U.S. Citizen and one non-U.S. Citizen parent, either before or after November 14, 1986

I suspect Pinky may still have a chance on derivative citizenship.

You missed the link? It's here in this thread. Let me post it again for you (to be downloaded, don't worry, it is clean, no STD :rofl: )

http://goaruna.com/s/lWggctzG - Left By The Ship 1_xvid.avi

http://goaruna.com/s/gYYoCA0Y - Left By The Ship 2_xvid.avi

http://goaruna.com/s/hxTN8XYV - Left By The Ship 3_xvid.avi

http://goaruna.com/s/w0yks6IS - Left By The Ship 4_xvid.avi

http://goaruna.com/s/Ze231BEW - Left By The Ship 5_xvid.avi

No worries, I double up on my rain coats anyway...makes it last longer. :rofl:

Thanks for the STD free links :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.