missy_antha

Help! Will overstay be a problem?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I went over to the USA on a B2 visitor visa for 6 months. This was due to run out Mar 2005. I was told that it was possible to extend your stay so I spoke to California Service centre and they told me to write asking for an extension and it shouldn't be problem.

Sent the request in January 2005 well before the visa ran out. They wrote back at end of April 2005 saying my request was denied. I had already booked my flight back by then, so I flew back 6 June 2005 meaning I overstayed my visa by 3 months.

I haven't been back to the USA since then as Jonathan has visited me in UK. Will this be a problem at interview?

Also when I went for the interview at the US Embassy in London to apply for B2 Visa I never mentioned that I would be staying with Jonathan in USA. Will they ask me at the interview why I did not disclose at that interview that I had a boyfriend in the USA?

I do have copies of the letter I sent requesting the extension and the post office receipt to show that the request was made 2 months before the visa ran out. I also have the letter they sent saying that as my reason for requesting my overstay was that I wanted to travel and see more of America that they felt that 6 months was sufficient for me to have done this. I also sent bank statement showing I had £15,000 in my bank so more than enough to support myself for a further 3 months.

Any help here would be much appreciated as I'm worried that the overstay will course a big problem even though I left a month after having my request denied.

6/05/06 - Mailed off the I29f

06/20/06 - Cheque cashed

7/07/06 - Still not received NOA1. Call CSC. They have input our address incorrectly. Give them the correct details. Also find out what our case number is from them so can check for touches!

07/13/06 - Receive RFE

07/26/06 - Email confirmation they have RFE

07/27/06 - Touched

08/23/07 - Call CSC to find out where NOA1 is and what date was on it. As it was sent to the wrong address it came back as undeliverable. They will not send it out again unless we send them a written request. However date was;

06/09/06 - NOA1

09/07/06 - NOA2 email confirmation

09/28/06 - NVC say they have sent details to US Embassy in London

12/09/06 - Sent back packet 3 recorded delivery

10/30/06 - Medical

11/06/06 - Interview confirmed 1st December!

01/17/07 - Wedding booked in Vegas

Filed: Timeline
I went over to the USA on a B2 visitor visa for 6 months. This was due to run out Mar 2005. I was told that it was possible to extend your stay so I spoke to California Service centre and they told me to write asking for an extension and it shouldn't be problem.

Sent the request in January 2005 well before the visa ran out. They wrote back at end of April 2005 saying my request was denied. I had already booked my flight back by then, so I flew back 6 June 2005 meaning I overstayed my visa by 3 months.

I haven't been back to the USA since then as Jonathan has visited me in UK. Will this be a problem at interview?

Also when I went for the interview at the US Embassy in London to apply for B2 Visa I never mentioned that I would be staying with Jonathan in USA. Will they ask me at the interview why I did not disclose at that interview that I had a boyfriend in the USA?

I do have copies of the letter I sent requesting the extension and the post office receipt to show that the request was made 2 months before the visa ran out. I also have the letter they sent saying that as my reason for requesting my overstay was that I wanted to travel and see more of America that they felt that 6 months was sufficient for me to have done this. I also sent bank statement showing I had £15,000 in my bank so more than enough to support myself for a further 3 months.

Any help here would be much appreciated as I'm worried that the overstay will course a big problem even though I left a month after having my request denied.

It will be an issue and you will need to file a waiver.

Try searching. Here's one thread i found.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;hl=overstay

Filed: Timeline

missy_antha,

A 3-month (about 90 days) overstay does not trigger a ban on entry, so there should be nothing to waive. You might want to call a US immigration attorney to review the facts that you've presented and get confirmation.

Yodrak

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.