Kirsty

Can I apply for Citizenship from date of marriage or date of Permanent Residencey?

22 posts in this topic

Apply common sense.

George, a Yankee, marries Emma, a Brit. The year is 1961. They live in Yorkshire, happily, and retire in 2011.

After retirement they decide that they've had enough of the rain and would like to live out their final days in Florida.

George files an I-130 for his wife of 40 years and she receives an IR-1 visa with which she enters the U.S. on July 1, 2011.

Here is the question for you, Kirsty, and please don't let me down here:

Is Emma eligible for U.S. citizenship on July 2, the very next day, because she is married to George for over 40 years?

I know it's a tricky one, so sleep on it.

Wow.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thank you for your reply. So base on my eligible for PR in Feb 09... I can apply for N-400 in Nov'11 correct?

Thanks.

No day given for the initial date you received your green card so really can't answer your question.

Its this simple, you have to be married three years to the same person AND not more than 90 days before your 3rd green card anniversary date.

What I wonder is who came up with this rule. Justbob implies using "common sense" with the USCIS, that doesn't fit in at all. Discussed certain issues with an IO, she said, don't blame us, blame congress, they make all the rules. But when I have spoke to a couple of congressman, they never even heard of the USCIS.

One key issue is age, ages 16, 18, and 21 have completely different regulations, not a damn thing to keep a family together, just about an incidental date on the calendar. Common sense just doesn't fit it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Dominica
Timeline

No day given for the initial date you received your green card so really can't answer your question.

Its this simple, you have to be married three years to the same person AND not more than 90 days before your 3rd green card anniversary date.

What I wonder is who came up with this rule. Justbob implies using "common sense" with the USCIS, that doesn't fit in at all. Discussed certain issues with an IO, she said, don't blame us, blame congress, they make all the rules. But when I have spoke to a couple of congressman, they never even heard of the USCIS.

One key issue is age, ages 16, 18, and 21 have completely different regulations, not a damn thing to keep a family together, just about an incidental date on the calendar. Common sense just doesn't fit it.

what are you even talking about? bob was referring to the date at which u can apply since the question was do u apply 90 days before ur wedding anniversary or 90 days before the date you received teh gc. thats what he was talkin about.

*10/1/08 Married

*11/14/08 Mailed AOS package

*11/17/08 Package Received

*11/25/08 NOA1

*12/12/08 Biometrics

*12/31/08 Notice for Interview Received

* 1/22/09 EAD Card received

*2/19/09 AOS Interview >>Approved

*2/26/09 Welcome letter received

*3/5/09 Green Card received in the mail!!!

Let say if my first green card issued on Feb 1, 2009 so it wii expired on Feb 1, 2011. Now I'm still waiting for the I-751 after response to RFE (8 months now) so I'm wondering that if next month and I still don't hear anything from them (I mean still haven't got 10 yr GC) can I use the the 90 days rule apply for N-400?

Thank you so much.

Edited by gizzly

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Let say if my first green card issued on Feb 1, 2009 so it wii expired on Feb 1, 2011. Now I'm still waiting for the I-751 after response to RFE (8 months now) so I'm wondering that if next month and I still don't hear anything from them (I mean still haven't got 10 yr GC) can I use the the 90 days rule apply for N-400?

Thank you so much.

We had to do that with still extensive delays in I-751 processing, sent in a copy of the expired green card along with a copy of that one year extension notice.

If NOT applying for US citizenship, and that ten year card doesn't come in before your one year extension notice expires, you can hide in the attic along with Anne Frank, until your green card comes in. Anne was that young Jewish girl hiding from the Nazi concentration camps during WW II.

If applying for US citizenship, two weeks before your one year extension notice expires, better make an infopass appointment either to get an I-551 stamp in your current valid foreign passport book, or bring in two passport photos to get an I-94. Its up to you to keep yourself legal, not a good idea to go in for your interview with an expired green card. Ironically, our ten year cards came in after we made that infopass appointment, saved another 450 mile trip.

We had to do that with still extensive delays in I-751 processing, sent in a copy of the expired green card along with a copy of that one year extension notice.

If NOT applying for US citizenship, and that ten year card doesn't come in before your one year extension notice expires, you can hide in the attic along with Anne Frank,

until your green card comes in. Anne was that young Jewish girl hiding from the Nazi concentration camps during WW II.

If applying for US citizenship, two weeks before your one year extension notice expires, better make an infopass

appointment either to get an I-551 stamp in your current

valid foreign passport book, or bring in two passport photos

to get an I-94. Its up to you to keep yourself legal, not a

good idea to go in for your interview with an expired green

card. Ironically, our ten year cards came in after we made that infopass appointment, saved another 450 mile trip.

Thank you for your useful information. I will look forward to apply for US Citizenship in Nov if I still don't hear anything from them yet. I will let you know. Thanks again.

Edited by gizzly

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.