rkintn

Moving back to Russia ???

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

What if scenario !!!

My russian wife since Dec 10 -05 has her advanced parole and her G/C interview is not until Dec. 5 2006

What if she misses the interview and I move to Russia next year and after we are married

for 2 years we decide we want to move back to America , what are the consequences??? :wacko:

I 129F received 06-15-05

NOA 1 From CSC 06-23-05

Touched !!!! 07-06-05

10 Emails Approved 07-05-05

08-06-05

Fiancee received packet from Moscow Interveiw Nov. 8

Recieved no confirmation

Nov.. 8 Passed interview waiting for Visa

Leaving for the USA Nov. 24

Married December 10

K1 K2 AOS AP 03-26-06

NOA 04-01-06

Biometrics 04-22-06

Touched 04-24-06

INFO PASS AP got it in 30 min. 06-15-06

Changed address 06-24-06

Touched 06-25-06

Touched 07-12-06

Touched 07-22-06 Will we ever get an interveiw

AOS Interveiw rec. in mail for Dec. 5, 06. 09-10-06

Interveiw approved GC in the mail Dec 5 ,06

Recieved K1 & K2 Greencards in the mail nine days after approval 12-14-06

10 yr cards on the way !!! 06 - 15- 09

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You'll start over from zero again. K3 route next time.

But this sounds like a bad idea since you will in essence be abandoning your AOS application just because you wanna do the "what if" thing. Don't know if the DOS or USCIS will look very favorably on it.

Not sure. Others will know better.

IMO, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to establish permanent residence in the US. I'd get her a ticket to come home for the interview if she's not here now.

Yes Red Foreman, call me a dumbass

Timeline
IMO, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to establish permanent residence in the US. I'd get her a ticket to come home for the interview if she's not here now.

Do what is right for your marriage. The green card will be fine in the end either way, it just might take longer. The biggest problem is that you will lose the AP as soon as the AOS is denied. As long as you are both still married, I can't see it being a problem trying the AOS again.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I move to Russia next year and after we are married.
What will your legal status be in Russia? Business visas each year? To get temporary or permanent residency in Russia is a rather complicated processes but can be done if you need to stay for years at a time. You even get a work permit and chance at citizenship :P

Timeline
What will your legal status be in Russia? Business visas each year? To get temporary or permanent residency in Russia is a rather complicated processes but can be done if you need to stay for years at a time. You even get a work permit and chance at citizenship :P

for now I would just use my 1 year business visa that i have renewed for the third time

but like you say the others can be done . just depends on how it goes the first year ...

I am no expert but i believe after I live out of the USA for a few months that i can file

DCF in Moscow after we have 2 years of marriage and recieve a greencard on the spot.

We'll see ... :blink:

I 129F received 06-15-05

NOA 1 From CSC 06-23-05

Touched !!!! 07-06-05

08-06-05

Recieved no confirmation

Married December 10

K1 K2 AOS AP 03-26-06

NOA 04-01-06

Biometrics 04-22-06

Touched 04-24-06

Changed address 06-24-06

Touched 06-25-06

Touched 07-12-06

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

for now I would just use my 1 year business visa that i have renewed for the third time

but like you say the others can be done . just depends on how it goes the first year ...

I am no expert but i believe after I live out of the USA for a few months that i can file

DCF in Moscow after we have 2 years of marriage and recieve a greencard on the spot.

We'll see ... :blink:

You've got it right, as of today. If you've been resident in Russia for 6+ months, you can file w/USCIS Field Office there and go straight thru to the Immigrant Visa application. Allow at least 6 months for processing (before you want to move to the US).

I agree with "do what is best for your marriage". If this is the right thing for you two, have a great adventure!

Just take some of the relevant paperwork with you for the eventual filings and keep the I-864 and domicile principles in mind (file your tax returns, vote, keep US banking & ties etc). The DCF Guide has some links on the topic.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline
If you've been resident in Russia for 6+ months, you can file w/USCIS Field Office there and go straight thru to the Immigrant Visa application.
I wonder how the Embassy in Moscow defines resident? If resident means establishing official Russian residency then that means you have to go through the complicated processes of using a private visa invite and applying for permanent residency in Russia, getting approved 6 months later and re-entering Russia again. I have inquired about this processes as a way to circumvent the expensive business visa invitation, but the processes is so complicated it is not worth doing unless you have no choice. But if 6 months means having a business visa for 6 months then that might be the fastest way to a green card.

Also does your wife have to be a resident of Moscow as well?

Again, it is very hard to get a "propiska" for a Russian in Moscow. Most Russians in Moscow are not registered or official residents of Moscow!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
If you've been resident in Russia for 6+ months, you can file w/USCIS Field Office there and go straight thru to the Immigrant Visa application.
I wonder how the Embassy in Moscow defines resident? If resident means establishing official Russian residency then that means you have to go through the complicated processes of using a private visa invite and applying for permanent residency in Russia, getting approved 6 months later and re-entering Russia again. I have inquired about this processes as a way to circumvent the expensive business visa invitation, but the processes is so complicated it is not worth doing unless you have no choice. But if 6 months means having a business visa for 6 months then that might be the fastest way to a green card.

Again, it is very hard to get a "propiska" for a Russian in Moscow. Most Russians in Moscow are not registered or official residents of Moscow!

It doesn't mention a specific visa type here, but based on other reports, I don't think that Permanent Residence is required. There is good contact info here tho, so one could certainly find out. (see below, the Consulate is also quite vague--it's only by word of mouth that we have the 6 months info)

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices...htm#anchorlocal

Immediate Relative Immigrant Petitions (Form I-130):

U.S. Citizens residing in our office's jurisdiction may file petitions for immediate relatives at the Moscow office during public hours.

Who May File and When

The Moscow office at the United States Embassy, accepts Form I-130 “Petition for Alien Relative” from United States Citizens who are filing for their spouse, parent, or unmarried child under 21 years of age. Petitions from Lawful Permanent Residents and petitions for relatives other than those mentioned fall into different visa categories and must be filed in the United States. United States Citizens may file their petitions between 2:00 PM and 4:00 PM on Monday through Friday at the immigration intake windows 4 and 5.

(blah blah blah more)

http://moscow.usembassy.gov/consular/consu...ecord_id=ivisas

The Moscow Department of Homeland Security (DHS) office accepts immigrant visa petitions filed only by American citizens resident in Russia on behalf of their relatives any working day between 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. The Immigrant Visa Unit also approves issuance of fiance(e) visas. Fiance(e) visa petitions must be filed with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services in the United States by the American citizen fiance(e). When the DHS notifies us of the petition approval, we will contact the fiance(e) with instructions on how to prepare for the visa interview.

The applicants should not expect that any information on the documentation submitted by the petitioner to the National Visa Center and received by the Embassy be provided by the Embassy at the applicant's, petitioner's or third party's request prior to the interview.

Please note, that any additional relevant information may be requested at a consular officer's discretion during interview to ensure that a visa is properly issuable.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

It doesn't mention a specific visa type here, but based on other reports, I don't think that Permanent Residence is required. There is good contact info here tho, so one could certainly find out. (see below, the Consulate is also quite vague--it's only by word of mouth that we have the 6 months info)

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices...htm#anchorlocal

Immediate Relative Immigrant Petitions (Form I-130):

U.S. Citizens residing in our office's jurisdiction may file petitions for immediate relatives at the Moscow office during public hours.

Who May File and When

The Moscow office at the United States Embassy, accepts Form I-130 “Petition for Alien Relative” from United States Citizens who are filing for their spouse, parent, or unmarried child under 21 years of age. Petitions from Lawful Permanent Residents and petitions for relatives other than those mentioned fall into different visa categories and must be filed in the United States. United States Citizens may file their petitions between 2:00 PM and 4:00 PM on Monday through Friday at the immigration intake windows 4 and 5.

(blah blah blah more)

http://moscow.usembassy.gov/consular/consu...ecord_id=ivisas

The Moscow Department of Homeland Security (DHS) office accepts immigrant visa petitions filed only by American citizens resident in Russia on behalf of their relatives any working day between 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. The Immigrant Visa Unit also approves issuance of fiance(e) visas. Fiance(e) visa petitions must be filed with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services in the United States by the American citizen fiance(e). When the DHS notifies us of the petition approval, we will contact the fiance(e) with instructions on how to prepare for the visa interview.

The applicants should not expect that any information on the documentation submitted by the petitioner to the National Visa Center and received by the Embassy be provided by the Embassy at the applicant's, petitioner's or third party's request prior to the interview.

Please note, that any additional relevant information may be requested at a consular officer's discretion during interview to ensure that a visa is properly issuable.

So what about obtaining a drivers license in Russia ???

Is that going to be a big hassle for me ??? :wacko:

I 129F received 06-15-05

NOA 1 From CSC 06-23-05

Touched !!!! 07-06-05

08-06-05

Recieved no confirmation

Married December 10

K1 K2 AOS AP 03-26-06

NOA 04-01-06

Biometrics 04-22-06

Touched 04-24-06

Changed address 06-24-06

Touched 06-25-06

Touched 07-12-06

Timeline

When I was there, I translated my California driver's license into Russian and had it notarized by a Russian notary and it was sufficient to drive. However, obtaining a real Russian driver's license will be quite difficult. Mainly because you have to pass the written part in Russian. And you have to pass the driving part using their old manual transmission vehicle. From what I heard it is a much more critical and longer exam that our 5 minute and out test. But I think you can also drive in Russia using those international driver's licenses.

Timeline

When I was there, I translated my California driver's license into Russian and had it notarized by a Russian notary and it was sufficient to drive. However, obtaining a real Russian driver's license will be quite difficult. Mainly because you have to pass the written part in Russian. And you have to pass the driving part using their old manual transmission vehicle. From what I heard it is a much more critical and longer exam that our 5 minute and out test. But I think you can also drive in Russia using those international driver's licenses.

Was you ever pulled over and checked by the Milita ? That seems to be quite common in Russia..

Also what about Insurance ??? Is it required ??? :unsure:

I 129F received 06-15-05

NOA 1 From CSC 06-23-05

Touched !!!! 07-06-05

08-06-05

Recieved no confirmation

Married December 10

K1 K2 AOS AP 03-26-06

NOA 04-01-06

Biometrics 04-22-06

Touched 04-24-06

Changed address 06-24-06

Touched 06-25-06

Touched 07-12-06

Timeline
Was you ever pulled over and checked by the Milita ? That seems to be quite common in Russia..

Also what about Insurance ??? Is it required ??? :unsure:

In my two months of driving I was pulled over 4 times for random document checking. I never had to pay fine, because all my documents were in order. Yes, insurance is now required. Insuring my fiancee's family car cost me 1800 rubles for 6 months, which of course is a bargain compared to US rates.

Timeline

Mostly out of curiousity, who do you suggest using to get a business visa invitation?

I may need one.

Timeline
Mostly out of curiousity, who do you suggest using to get a business visa invitation?

I may need one.

GOTORUSSIA.COM

they can fix you up ...

I 129F received 06-15-05

NOA 1 From CSC 06-23-05

Touched !!!! 07-06-05

08-06-05

Recieved no confirmation

Married December 10

K1 K2 AOS AP 03-26-06

NOA 04-01-06

Biometrics 04-22-06

Touched 04-24-06

Changed address 06-24-06

Touched 06-25-06

Touched 07-12-06

Timeline
GOTORUSSIA.COM

they can fix you up ...

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.