vikrmgill

L2 or F1 for spouse?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am on an L1B visa and working in USA. I will get married in March 2012 and my spouse will get an L2 visa. But my spouse plans to study in USA in Fall 2012. Should my spouse study on an L2 or apply for an F1 student visa. What will happen if my spouse starts her studies on an L2 and my L1B status changes/expires? Can my spouse change to an F1 without leaving USA? How long does this process take? Please help.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

From what I have heard, some schools will make her change to F1 from L2b, if she wants to study then you need to check with the school for the requirement specially if you already know which school she wants to go to. Before your L1 expires and she was going to school she can apply for F1 while she is still in country and change her status from L2B to F1.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

From what I have heard, some schools will make her change to F1 from L2b, if she wants to study then you need to check with the school for the requirement specially if you already know which school she wants to go to. Before your L1 expires and she was going to school she can apply for F1 while she is still in country and change her status from L2B to F1.

Which applications need to be filed for a change of status? How long can she stay on an L2B after my L1 status changes/expires. Does the change of status happen within a few days or weeks?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.