Piefre

Did I get everything I need for my interview?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I thought it might be useful to make a list of the items I'm taking to the interview for anyone who might need a list of what I'm taking, and also to make sure I have anything. Feel free to call me a dummy and point out anything I might have forgotten. So here's what I've got and this is for Vancouver:

1. Form DS-230, Part I

2. Form DS-156

3. Form DS-156K

4. Passport valid for the next 6 months

4b. 2 copies of my passport

5. Medical Examination Results (pending)

5b. Vaccination records

6. Original birth certificate

6b. Copy of original birth certificate

6c. Birth certificate translation

6d. Copy of birth certificate translation

7. Police certificate

8. 5 US passport style photographs taken within the last 6 months

9. I-134 Affidavit of Support

10. Tax transcripts

11. Letter from employer

12. Pay stubs

13. Copy of our NOA1 and NOA2

14. Packet 3 and Packet 4 letter

15. Copy of USCIS RFE

16. Copy of our USCIS RFE response

17. Copy of the consulate RFE

18. Copy of my response to the consulate RFE

19. Copy of the checklist that came with Packet 3

20. Additional original evidence proving on-going relationship

20b. Copies of additional original evidence proving on-going relationship

21. Letters confirming intent to marry (one from fiance and one from me)

22. My appointment confirmation receipt when I booked the interview

22b. Copy of my appointment confirmation receipt when I booked the interview

23. Copy of the entire I-129F packet

That's a lot of paperwork. I didn't realize how much there was until I sat down and actually made a list. Yikes.

I have some questions (always):

1. When it says the petitioner needs to send the beneficiary a copy of the I-129F packet, are copies of the evidence (we had photographs and plane ticket stubs) admissible or do those have to be originals? Also because it is a sensitive document, am I right in assuming that we do not need the petitioner's original birth certificate for the interview and a copy of that would be acceptable? I'm not clear on what part of the I-129F my fiance has to send to me has to be an original and what parts can just be copies, basically.

2. When I booked my appointment for the interview I paid an MRV fee. I presume that since I paid that, I do not need to worry about paying again when I arrive for the interview and all they'll need is to see the receipt, right?

3. How much evidence of an on-going relationship do you typically need at the interview stage? I read reviews where the Canadian beneficiary didn't need all that much and they frequently come over prepared on the evidence front. My fiance and I have recent flight ticket stubs from when I went to see him since filing the I-129F, we have some new photographs, and Google Voice call logs spanning the last three months. Would that be enough?

I know, dumb questions, but just wanted to make sure.

Edited by Piefre

Timeline

My instructions say to print 2 copies of DS156 for the interview.

Oh, and don't forget Form DS-230, Part II.

Thanks! I almost forgot about the DS-230, Part II!

Timeline

This looks like a good list :thumbs:

1. Does Vancouver specifically request that you bring a copy of the I-129F to the interview? :huh: I didn't bring mine because my fiance hadn't made a copy of it. If it's not listed as a required document on the day of the interview I assume copies would be sufficient. However if the photos and plane tickets aren't of much value I would suggest you bring them to stockpile with your other evidence. Originals are better than copies. I don't know if the consulate would keep the originals but they at least return the originals of important documents (birth certificate, W2s, etc.) In the off chance that they ask to see evidence of an ongoing relationship I doubt they'd want to keep it but even if they do it seems like an acceptable trade for the approval of your visa.

Some people have been asked for the USC birth certificate at the interview. When I was interviewed in Montreal they did not ask for it, though; likewise, other recent Montreal interviewees weren't asked for it either. Maybe some Vancouver reviews will detail what documents they asked for.

2. Bring a printout of the receipt to show that you paid. You will not need to pay the interview fee again (unless you don't pass the interview and you need to make another appointment, but if your ducks are lined up in a row that shouldn't happen.)

3. Evidence of an ongoing relationship is rarely asked for. Unless your case is particularly complicated or atypical the amount of evidence you have seems sufficient. It never hurts to bring more than less, of course.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Where did you find the appointment confirmation receipt to print out? I paid the $350 fee and I see an MVR receipt # on my account page, but cannot find anything else there, and was not emailed an actual receipt.

Also, are you sure you need the NOA info?

Timeline

Thanks for the help!

1. Does Vancouver specifically request that you bring a copy of the I-129F to the interview? :huh: I didn't bring mine because my fiance hadn't made a copy of it. If it's not listed as a required document on the day of the interview I assume copies would be sufficient. However if the photos and plane tickets aren't of much value I would suggest you bring them to stockpile with your other evidence. Originals are better than copies. I don't know if the consulate would keep the originals but they at least return the originals of important documents (birth certificate, W2s, etc.) In the off chance that they ask to see evidence of an ongoing relationship I doubt they'd want to keep it but even if they do it seems like an acceptable trade for the approval of your visa.

They don't request I bring a copy of the I-129F anywhere, but I cobbled this list together based on the guides here at Visajourney and a lot of consulates around the world are much more difficult to deal with than Vancouver so I'm probably being overzealous. I figured that if they don't need all the stuff I'm bringing then that's good but at least I won't be caught unawares :).

Some people have been asked for the USC birth certificate at the interview. When I was interviewed in Montreal they did not ask for it, though; likewise, other recent Montreal interviewees weren't asked for it either. Maybe some Vancouver reviews will detail what documents they asked for.

Hopefully they don't require his original birth certificate and a copy will suffice. He can't come with me to my interview and we're a little worried about sending his original birth certificate around. He also used his passport to prove his citizenship on the I-129F as well as his birth certificate so I hope either/or will be acceptable--if they ask for it.

2. Bring a printout of the receipt to show that you paid. You will not need to pay the interview fee again (unless you don't pass the interview and you need to make another appointment, but if your ducks are lined up in a row that shouldn't happen.)

Awesome! Thanks :D.

3. Evidence of an ongoing relationship is rarely asked for. Unless your case is particularly complicated or atypical the amount of evidence you have seems sufficient. It never hurts to bring more than less, of course.

Cool, hopefully what I plan to bring will be enough evidence.

Where did you find the appointment confirmation receipt to print out? I paid the $350 fee and I see an MVR receipt # on my account page, but cannot find anything else there, and was not emailed an actual receipt.

I printed my receipt from my email address. After I paid and set up an appointment, they showed a screen with my appointment time, the receipt number, a confirmation number, as well as some general instructions and a basic list of what they want me to bring. The email I got was pretty much a carbon copy of the page I'm talking about. It's strange that you didn't get an email from them, is there a way you can re-generate the page I got? I will take a look later when I can get access to my account to see if you can get another email sent your way.

Also, are you sure you need the NOA info?

It's probably not required, but I'm coming prepared in the very unlikely chance that they want to see them.

I am probably being way more prepared than I really need to be, but thank you both for taking a look at my list.

I can't help with your questions as I'm not even close to this part of the journey yet, but I do hope you'll update after your interview and let us know how much of this you actually needed. I've copied your list for reference when my time comes. Thanks so much for posting it!

I'm particularly interested in this part:

Hopefully they don't require his original birth certificate and a copy will suffice. He can't come with me to my interview and we're a little worried about sending his original birth certificate around. He also used his passport to prove his citizenship on the I-129F as well as his birth certificate so I hope either/or will be acceptable--if they ask for it.

I'll be in the same boat. My fiance can't come with me to the interview and he's not too keen on shipping either his original birth certificate or his US passport up here for me to travel to Montreal with. I hope that a copy will work.

Good luck to you!

The K-1 Visa journey for myself and my two K-2 children:

K-1: NOA1 2011-8-10; NOA2 2012-1-12; Interview 2012-4-24; Visa issued 2012-9-17; POE (Sarnia) 2012-9-26; Wedding! 2012-10-02
AOS: NOA1 2012-11-20; Biometrics 2012-12-14; AP/EAD approved 2013-1-11; Interview 2013-1-31; 2-yr Green cards in hand 2013-2-9 (101 days total)

ROC: NOA1 11-7-14; Biometrics 12-1-14; 10-yr Green cards ordered 4-13-15! (157 days total)

Counting down to naturalization time!

Timeline
My fiance can't come with me to the interview and he's not too keen on shipping either his original birth certificate or his US passport up here for me to travel to Montreal with. I hope that a copy will work.

Thank you :), I do know that the consulate does not want the USC to send their passport to their fiance and absolutely does not require the passport to be the original document and a copy of it is just fine. The BC is more of a grey area it seems.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.