kismet

Passport/Birth Certificate Name Discrepancy

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

I was mulling over the possible reason for our second RFE when I got on a thread posted by denvermale2006 on the difference in last name, Passport vs Birth Certificate.

However in his case, the beneficiary's name has the problem. I am posting a new thread with hopes that I would get specific advise on our case.

My fiance is the USC, and his name in his passport has a 'Jr.' in it, which shouldnt' be the case. He used the passport the last 2 times he went to Manila, but we discovered this only afer the I129F was filed. We submitted both his BC and passport in the petiiton package. Apparently, our lawyer missed it (and fyi, we're ready to fire that lawyer, grrrrr). We did call the atty's attention as soon we noticed it, but he hasnt' done anything, or told us anything after saying he will take care of it.

I asked this question in this forum on my very first post as newbie, but I never did get to check back on it (blame it on the newbie's lack of searching skills after it was moved and buried after other posts), thus I'm so sorry if I missed your comment/advice on that one, if any.

We're thinking a request for name change in the passport would be the most logical way (to take about 6 weeks more or less??). Or maybe there's a quicker way to do it, like a document from the DoS that he is the one and the same person, and that an error was made in the issuance of the passport (albeit inadvertently)???

I'm wondering if somebody here had that same issue with their petition. Your comment/advice will be most helpful.

Thanks.

Gen

Filed: Timeline

Gen,

The passport office invented a Jr. for your fiance? One of life's many mysteries, I guess.

Go to your profile and click on 'Profile Options'. Select 'Find Members Posts' or 'Find Members Topics'.

Yodrak

Hi,

My fiance is the USC, and his name in his passport has a 'Jr.' in it, which shouldnt' be the case. .....

I asked this question in this forum on my very first post as newbie, but I never did get to check back on it (blame it on the newbie's lack of searching skills after it was moved and buried after other posts), thus I'm so sorry if I missed your comment/advice on that one, if any.

Thanks.

Gen

Filed: Other Timeline
My fiance is the USC, and his name in his passport has a 'Jr.' in it, which shouldnt' be the case. He used the passport the last 2 times he went to Manila, but we discovered this only afer the I129F was filed. We submitted both his BC and passport in the petiiton package. Apparently, our lawyer missed it (and fyi, we're ready to fire that lawyer, grrrrr). We did call the atty's attention as soon we noticed it, but he hasnt' done anything, or told us anything after saying he will take care of it.

Gen

Not to be a wise #######, but let me understand this correctly. Your fiance received his passport and used it not once but TWICE to leave the country. He, himself, never bothered to check if the passport was issued correctly. Now you want to blame the lawyer because the lawyer didn't notify you there was a jr. added to his name? Why didn't your fiance take the time to check his passport when he first received it? Who is really to blame here?

AOS I-485

07/10/07 - Sent I-485 via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago Lockbox

07/23/07 - Received NOA1 in my home mailbox

08/13/07 - Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Letter in my home mailbox

08/31/07 - USCIS mailed out Appointment letter with Postmark Date 8/31/07

09/04/07 - Received actual Appointment Letter (Interivew Date 10/30/07)

09/06/07 - Completed Biometrics Appointment at local ASC

10/30/07 - Scheduled AOS Interview Appointment - Approved

I-751

08/13/09 - Sent I-751 to CSC

08/17/09 - Receipt date of NOA

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

12/15/09 - Card production ordered

12/17/09 - Approval notice sent

12/21/09 - Received 10-Year GC and Welcome Letter

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

08/18/10 - USPS Confirms delivery: August 18, 2010, 9:57 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85036

08/24/10 - Check #501 for $675 cleared my account @ 11:20 pm EDT

08/27/10 - Received NOA dated 8/23/10 with a Priority date of 8/18/10

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/01/10 - Fingerprint Appointment-- Completed

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/09/10 - Interview Passed

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Thanks for the replies.

Yodrak, well, they did add a Jr. in his passport. You used the word 'mystery'...if you care to know, call it coincidence or mystery or something, my ex has a Jr in his name and the court missed putting it in the title portion of the Decision in my annullment decree, fortunately it is in the dispositive portion, which is more important. So this Jr thing is really getting to me.

SirLancelot, my fiance is not a 'paper person', and more of a 'number person' I would say, and yes he has the notorious reputation of being lousy at documents. Add to that the lack of time to do this, thus the decision to spend big and hard-earned money on an immigration lawyer. There are other reasons for firing him.. on the whole, he wasn't that diligent, considerig that what we have is a straightforward case, one divorce and one annullment but we have the legal documents, no convictions, no need for waivers, no extra work. Not to put blame on the atty, but that's what he was hired for, to check even t-crosses and i-dots, and prevent RFE's.

I posted here to find answers. This is a very good site indeed, got more help here than I could find in the researches I have done since we started the process, although I must say you have to have a strong tummy for not-so-encouraging remarks and the confidence of a circus elephant. (I don't know why I said that :huh: )

Thanks Yodrak for pointing me back to my earlier post.. hope I find answers there.

Gen,

So the mystery is solved - there is a Jr. in your husbands name, and so the Jr does belong as part of his name in his passport. Why did you write in your initial post that the Jr should not be there?

Or am I misunderstanding what you've written in one or the other of your posts?

Yodrak

Thanks for the replies.

Yodrak, well, they did add a Jr. in his passport. You used the word 'mystery'...if you care to know, call it coincidence or mystery or something, my ex has a Jr in his name and the court missed putting it in the title portion of the Decision in my annullment decree, fortunately it is in the dispositive portion, which is more important. So this Jr thing is really getting to me.

Timeline

Oh my, maybe I'm not making any sense??

Ok, I try again.

My ex's name has a Jr. but the court here in Manila didnt' put it in the title portion of the annullment decree (but this is resolved).

My USC fiance's passport has Jr in it, the US DoS put a Jr in it, but his real name does not include a Jr.

And this is my concern now.

The Jr conundrum!!

Gen,

So the mystery is solved - there is a Jr. in your husbands name, and so the Jr does belong as part of his name in his passport. Why did you write in your initial post that the Jr should not be there?

Yodrak

Thanks for the replies.

Gen,

Got it! Thanks for curing my confusion.

So get the passport corrected and let us know what the RFE is for when it arrives.

Yodrak

Oh my, maybe I'm not making any sense??

Ok, I try again.

My ex's name has a Jr. but the court here in Manila didnt' put it in the title portion of the annullment decree (but this is resolved).

My USC fiance's passport has Jr in it, the US DoS put a Jr in it, but his real name does not include a Jr.

And this is my concern now.

The Jr conundrum!!

Gen,

Yodrak

Thanks for the replies.

Timeline

Ok. I guess we really have to go with the 6-week (or more) replacement of his passport....given that it was DoS' mistake but we failed to correct it right away.

Will do. This is the only reason I can think of now as to the reasom for the RFE, accurate identification for name checks and all.

Thanks again, Yodrak.

Gen

Filed: Other Timeline
SirLancelot, my fiance is not a 'paper person', and more of a 'number person' I would say, and yes he has the notorious reputation of being lousy at documents. Add to that the lack of time to do this, thus the decision to spend big and hard-earned money on an immigration lawyer. There are other reasons for firing him.. on the whole, he wasn't that diligent, considerig that what we have is a straightforward case, one divorce and one annullment but we have the legal documents, no convictions, no need for waivers, no extra work. Not to put blame on the atty, but that's what he was hired for, to check even t-crosses and i-dots, and prevent RFE's.

kismet, what you said at the end is certainly true. He should have checked more diligently. That is, afterall, what he's being paid to do. So I have no problems with you firing your lawyer. All I meant to say was that your fiance should have been more diligent and detailed himself to begin with, then you wouldn't be at this point. The lawyer is to blame for not correcting the problem but your husband is at fault for not noticing it earlier and correcting DoS' mistake.

Good luck with your I-129F!

AOS I-485

07/10/07 - Sent I-485 via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago Lockbox

07/23/07 - Received NOA1 in my home mailbox

08/13/07 - Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Letter in my home mailbox

08/31/07 - USCIS mailed out Appointment letter with Postmark Date 8/31/07

09/04/07 - Received actual Appointment Letter (Interivew Date 10/30/07)

09/06/07 - Completed Biometrics Appointment at local ASC

10/30/07 - Scheduled AOS Interview Appointment - Approved

I-751

08/13/09 - Sent I-751 to CSC

08/17/09 - Receipt date of NOA

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

12/15/09 - Card production ordered

12/17/09 - Approval notice sent

12/21/09 - Received 10-Year GC and Welcome Letter

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

08/18/10 - USPS Confirms delivery: August 18, 2010, 9:57 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85036

08/24/10 - Check #501 for $675 cleared my account @ 11:20 pm EDT

08/27/10 - Received NOA dated 8/23/10 with a Priority date of 8/18/10

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/01/10 - Fingerprint Appointment-- Completed

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/09/10 - Interview Passed

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.