JonnyX

New member seeking help

98 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

utst10,

I believe you are correct about the time. I probably did not correctly read the post I refered to.

To answer my own question about 90 days versus 6 months for signing the marriage certificate, I found this.

http://www.eng.hochiminhcity.gov.vn/eng/news/default.aspx?cat_id=547&news_id=494

--------------

1-A marriage registration application, as per the form stipulated by the Ministry of Justice, with certification for the applicant’s single status. The certification must be within six months of the date of receipt of the application by the competent authority.

-The time for processing the application is 30 days (including holidays and weekends).

-If the applicant couple does not come to receive the marriage certificate within 30 days of the date of making the appointment to return the application, their application will be abolished with no fee returned. In case the applicant couple has legitimate reasons for the delay, they must present the reasons in paper and fix the date to come and sign the marriage certificate, but the time limit must not exceed 90 days. Past this time, they have to resume the application procedure.

---------------

Their English is a bit difficult to understand, but if I am interpreting this correctly, your single status certificate must not be older than six months from the date you submit your application. You wait 30 days for processing. If you cannot sign the marriage certificate within 30 days of submitting the application, then you may request in writing, a 90 day extension to sign the marriage certificate.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

what paperwork require from USCIS or NVC? Are you talking about the K-1 or CR-1 file? Because right now I'm only concerning with the paper that I need to get before getting the Marriage Certificate. Like many have told me to started from here http://www.vietnamem...y_a_vietnamese/ which I will follow.

Cool so I don't need to get a mental exam from the USA then, so I have to do it in Vietnam?

dont waste the time or $ getting a psych done here..

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Also Rostov007 Jeromebinh told me that I need to get the Medical Certificate in Vietnam not in US other wise they will make me take it over in Vietnam is that true?

Well, on the mental health document, he may be right. Mine was taken in the US, notarized, apostilled, and sent to the consulate for validation, just as they instructed on the site. BEFORE we hired the VN lawyer to take over, we were asked to duplicate the mental health exam in VN by the marriage registration office. I don't know if the one from the US would have been accepted as is if we had hired the lawyer at the beginning or not, all I know is that the website says to do it, so I did it.

From my perspective, you can never go wrong doing exactly as they ask. If nothing else, they can't claim you didn't follow instructions.

Also does the Single Status look something like this CHS Single Status Request form.pdf or like from the VN Embassy website AFIDAVITOFSINGLESTATUS.pdf which is it? Because one is from the VN Embassy website and one is from the Vital Statistic/Records Office from my State (Washington State) When I send them an email and ask for the single status certificate they email me back with that Single Status Request form. I also ask them this is for oversea marriage in Vietnam, so they told me when I order for this they will send it to the Secretary of State for apostille. I guess that is what I will do. As for the Certificate of No-marriage Records should I get from both County and State?

Timeline

Also does the Single Status look something like this CHS Single Status Request form.pdf or like from the VN Embassy website AFIDAVITOFSINGLESTATUS.pdf which is it? Because one is from the VN Embassy website and one is from the Vital Statistic/Records Office from my State (Washington State) When I send them an email and ask for the single status certificate they email me back with that Single Status Request form. I also ask them this is for oversea marriage in Vietnam, so they told me when I order for this they will send it to the Secretary of State for apostille. I guess that is what I will do. As for the Certificate of No-marriage Records should I get from both County and State?

The Single Status Request form is the form you must fill out so the State of Washington can do the search in the computer and present you with a certificate that says you are single. Fill it out and they will give you a certificate of single status. This you will have apostilled (it sounds like they are offering to do that step for you before they give it to you, if that is the case, great.) and sent to the consulate in SF.

The Affadavit of Single status form is a Vietnamese government form that contains your promise, a sworn statement, that you are indeed single. This one you notarize and apostille before sending to the consulate in SF.

The Single Status Request form is the form you must fill out so the State of Washington can do the search in the computer and present you with a certificate that says you are single. Fill it out and they will give you a certificate of single status. This you will have apostilled (it sounds like they are offering to do that step for you before they give it to you, if that is the case, great.) and sent to the consulate in SF.

The Affadavit of Single status form is a Vietnamese government form that contains your promise, a sworn statement, that you are indeed single. This one you notarize and apostille before sending to the consulate in SF.

ah so I get both alright thank.

For this one should I get it now? Is there an expiration time length like 3-6 months thing? Do I just download this AFIDAVITOFSINGLESTATUS.pdf from here http://www.vietnamembassy.us/consular_services/marry_a_vietnamese/ and fill it out and get it notarized and apostille then send to the consulate in SF?

Timeline

For this one should I get it now? Is there an expiration time length like 3-6 months thing? Do I just download this AFIDAVITOFSINGLESTATUS.pdf from here http://www.vietnamembassy.us/consular_services/marry_a_vietnamese/ and fill it out and get it notarized and apostille then send to the consulate in SF?

If you just downloaded it, then that is the most recent version. I'm not sure how long they are good before you file it, however I'm fairly sure they come back from the consulate with a date on it. If you are heading there soon to marry and file, you will be fine.

When I send all the documents to the Secretary of State do I need write them a letter with those documents? If so what do I tell them or just tell them that I need those document apostille for Vietnam marriage? As for the Consulate in SF what do I tell them or I don't need to tell anything? Also can you guys give me the Address for the Secretary of State and VN Consulate in SF please :D

When I send all the documents to the Secretary of State do I need write them a letter with those documents? If so what do I tell them or just tell them that I need those document apostille for Vietnam marriage? As for the Consulate in SF what do I tell them or I don't need to tell anything? Also can you guys give me the Address for the Secretary of State and VN Consulate in SF please :D

Never mind on the Secretary of State address I have it already :D I just need to confirm if this website http://www.vietnamconsulate-sf.org/vn/ is the right one for the VN Consulate? I also found this http://www.vietnamembassy-usa.org/about_the_embassy/other_vn_missions/

Edited by JonnyX

I just called the VN Embassy today and they told me the fee for the Affidavit of Single Status is $150 for first time marriage o.O? Is that how much it cost? Or is the $150 meant for the Application for Marriage Registration?

Also when I called the VN Embassy they told me to follow the instruction on the website, so I assume this is what they meant by the look on the website http://www.vietnamembassy.us/consular_services/marry_a_vietnamese/ but what I'm confuse is how do I get those document from them? Do I just click on the red link and download it, fill everything and print it out? Do I need to pay for those documents? If so where is the fee for this?

it believe it allows you to sign for someone else who isn't able to do it for themselves...for examnple if I had power of attorney for my wife, my signature would verify her consent

To quotes a movie, “So how does it happen, great love? Nobody knows... but what I can tell you is that it happens in the blink of an eye. One Moment you're enjoying your life, and the next you're wondering how you ever lived without them.” I felt I found something with Kieu that is rare in life... true love.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.