HeatherFeather

Electronic Processing Question for Mr. Darnell (and anyone else who can help) :-)

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi:

I'm new here, but have been a lurker for some time and benefitted greatly from the information. I'm a little shy on message boards, but feel I'm a little over my head and need some help. I have applied for my Chinese husband to come over. A lawyer friend helped me file, but he has since moved away. Today I was notified via email that my NOA2 was approved and want to proceed with Electronic Processing, but without my lawyer friend, feel a little lost. So, I am reaching out for help.

I noticed that there is an EP Guide written my Mr. Darnell. But I see some posts saying it is out of date. So I'm not sure if I can follow it or not. Is it current, or is there a more recent guide elsewhere?

Also, is there anything I can do NOW (before I receive my hardcopy NOA2) to start the EP Process?

Thank in advance 4 any and all help! :luv: Heather

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You will not be able to start EP until the NVC gives you a case number. Once you have the case number and the individual identification number (IIN); Darnell recommends that you have the NVC email you the AOS invoice. Once you receive that AOS invoice in your inbox, you can OPTIN.

Now with that being said, it is possible to OPTIN once you have the case number but Darnell has seen OPTIN emails get lost in the system if you try to OPTIN prior to receiving that AOS invoice in your inbox.

When you sent the OPTIN email, attach a DS-3032 signed by your husband.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

How/when do I get these (Case and IIN) numbers? And how does NVC get our (my husbands and my) email addresses?

Also, you are saying to attach the DS-3032 to the actual email that I send to request OPTIN?

Thanks, Heather :luv:

You will not be able to start EP until the NVC gives you a case number. Once you have the case number and the individual identification number (IIN); Darnell recommends that you have the NVC email you the AOS invoice. Once you receive that AOS invoice in your inbox, you can OPTIN.

Now with that being said, it is possible to OPTIN once you have the case number but Darnell has seen OPTIN emails get lost in the system if you try to OPTIN prior to receiving that AOS invoice in your inbox.

When you sent the OPTIN email, attach a DS-3032 signed by your husband.

Timeline

How/when do I get these (Case and IIN) numbers? And how does NVC get our (my husbands and my) email addresses?

Call the NVC and get it from an operator. You will tell the operator both email addresses.

Also, you are saying to attach the DS-3032 to the actual email that I send to request OPTIN?

Yes

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Look like you are on the right path, email not an option for us, you don't need an attorney unless there is a problem.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

I called NVC today, but the automated system said 'no record'. I'm not surprised, since NOA2 was only approved yesterday, but I'm anxious. ;-) However, in the mean time, I have three questions:

1) My husband is not good with computers. After I get my GUZ Number, I plan to fill out the theDS-230, email it to him, have him sign it, and then scanned at a copy shop. After that I plan to login to HIS email (yahoo.cn), and send it from there. My question is: will they be able to tell (from the IP address, etc.) that I logged in and sent it from the US? Will they care?

2) I have some red flags, and sent a heavily front loaded I-130. I have read conflicting information on whether the extensive relationship information I sent will make it from USCIS to NVC. I don't want to unnecessarily duplicate or cause problems, but I don't want to take a chance that it doesn't get there either. Should I resend my relationship evidence with my DS-3032 to assure that it gets to GUZ BEFORE the interview?

3) I've read some posts that indicate that Darnell's EP Wiki is outdated. I don't want to make a mistake. Is there a more up-to-date guide on this or any other site that can help someone like me who has never done anything like this before?

P.S. I'm also interested in Mr. Darnell's opinion on this. Are you out there? :star:

Thanks to all who have/will help!

Heather :luv:

Edited by HeatherFeather

Timeline

I called NVC today, but the automated system said 'no record'. I'm not surprised, since NOA2 was only approved yesterday, but I'm anxious. ;-) However, in the mean time, I have three questions:

Get used to that, right now the average from NOA2 to case number is slightly over one month.

1) My husband is not good with computers. After I get my GUZ Number, I plan to fill out the theDS-230, email it to him, have him sign it, and then scanned at a copy shop. After that I plan to login to HIS email (yahoo.cn), and send it from there. My question is: will they be able to tell (from the IP address, etc.) that I logged in and sent it from the US? Will they care?

The DS-3032 that you attach to OPTIN email to get the case number converted from a GUZ number to a GZO number can be sent from your email address. Furthermore, after you OPTIN, the I-864 package and the DS-230 package can be emailed for you email address. Keep the size of the email less than 10MB.

2) I have some red flags, and sent a heavily front loaded I-130. I have read conflicting information on whether the extensive relationship information I sent will make it from USCIS to NVC. I don't want to unnecessarily duplicate or cause problems, but I don't want to take a chance that it doesn't get there either. Should I resend my relationship evidence with my DS-3032 to assure that it gets to GUZ BEFORE the interview?

If you choose to send relationship evidence to the NVC, you would sent it with the DS-230 package. As you acknowledge, doing so will slow things with the NVC, but it's your choice. Had you not submitted such items with your I-130, then I would say submit it to the NVC with the DS-230, but since they are already in the file, I will say it's your call on whether or not you submit it all again. Additionally, if there are things that you have now that you did not have when you filed the I-130 and want to submit it, then by all means, submit it.

I had the same dilemma on whether or not to submit everything again to the NVC, I put that question out on CFL and based on the responses I received there, I have decided not to submit it all again to the NVC.

3) I've read some posts that indicate that Darnell's EP Wiki is outdated. I don't want to make a mistake. Is there a more up-to-date guide on this or any other site that can help someone like me who has never done anything like this before?

I will be starting the EP process very soon, I plan to post a thread detailing all of my experiences. For now, keep asking questions.

Our journey:

Spoiler

Timeline

Oooops, I think I transposed the DS-3032 and 230 in my post!

Thanks Ryan. I really appreciate your detailed response and I am anxiously looking forward to your thread!

A few followup comments/questions:

1) I didn't know that USCIS --> NVC transfer was averaging a month! Oh well! :crying:

2) Just to be clear; I am the petitioner. I thought that the DS-3032 HAD to come from the beneficiaries email?

3) Did your information/responses on CFK re: resending relationship info with DS-230 indicate that the original I-130 relationship Info would make it to NVC, then to GUZ, or did you just decide that it was not needed in your case if it didn't get there?

Once again, thanks ad gratitude.

Heather :luv:

Timeline

2) Just to be clear; I am the petitioner. I thought that the DS-3032 HAD to come from the beneficiaries email?

If you were doing standard paper processing, then yes. However, since you will be doing EP, the OPTIN email can come from you. In your OPTIN email, attach a scanned pdf of the DS-3032 signed by your husband.

3) Did your information/responses on CFK re: resending relationship info with DS-230 indicate that the original I-130 relationship Info would make it to NVC, then to GUZ, or did you just decide that it was not needed in your case if it didn't get there?

The responses I received indicated that all evidence submitted with the I-130 made it all the way to the Consulate. Here is a link to my CFL thread.

Our journey:

Spoiler

Timeline

I had my wife send the optin from her e-mail in China, I was told that NVC checks the IP's on the optin. I used this wiki as a guide myself.

Speedbumps on OPTING IN and Converting from Paper to Electronic

If you are trying to OPT IN - then the DS-3032 has to be signed by the foreign spouse, and sent to NVCElectronic@state.gov from foreign spouse's email, along with the biodata in the body of the email, AND (GASP ) the PROPER SUBJECT LINE. There's an email scanning system in place at that email address - so if 'OPTIN' is NOT in the first 5 characters of the subject line, a human will catch it 5 or 10 days later.

Then ya wait. Bug NVC about 7 to 10 business days later, via telephone, about shifting to NVC Electronic Processing. The NVC Tele-Operators are brain-dead - trained to listen for 'DS-3032' and know NOTHING about the electronic processing system (but they are totally coachable, if you know what to say to them ).

If you get any initial emails about paying stuff ONLINE, note it'll get paid on the old (i.e. GUZ) case number - but don't sweat it - the contractors at NVC will rehome the data / fees from the GUZ case to the newly created GZO case number.

If you call in to NVC, to get your GUZ case number, the Tele-Operators are trained (for paper processing ) to send you a DS-3032 kit. This kit consists of a non-fillable DS-3032 in PDF format, a fee bill for 70 bucks, and a barcode thing. IT'S OK TO PAY THIS BILL ONLINE, but do not do anything with the DS-3032 that you receive. It's the wrong one.

You can go to the Wiki section at the top of the page and look up NVC Electronic Processing there. Good Luck :thumbs:

Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is what you get from not reading it.

The Liberal mind is where logic goes to die!

Timeline

This link is for electronic processing also! http://travel.state..../visa_5163.html

Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is what you get from not reading it.

Timeline

I checked another site that has the EP process outlined and it was updated April 23,2011. That post shows that the optin can come from either person.'s e-mail address.Check out ChinaFamilyVisa forums they have the EP process listed there.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

The optin email can come from your email address. We also sent the choice of agent form from my email with no problems. For the case number, you will have to get a live person on the phone to get this. Best bet is calling about 12:30 to 1:30 eastern time or in the last half hour they are open eastern time (can't remember if they close at 11:00 or midnight). When you get the live person, they will ask you for your email addresses and that is the first step in the electronic process. After sending the optin email give them a few days then start calling again for the new case number (GZO number). You can also start hitting the payment website to see if the invoices are ready.

Darnell sent me a hit list for the EP a while back. I'll see if I can dig this out and send it to you.

Don't worry about sending all the evidence to NVC again, but be sure to take copies of everything to Guangzhou. You mention red flags for your case. If they are something you are comfortable with sharing here, please do so and we can give advice on how to overcome them. If it is something you don't want public, feel free to contact one of the CChina gurus privately. They are all very good at helping out people going through the process.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Just took a look at the wiki for EP again and it is pretty accurate. As with my previous post, Start calling them to get your case number and give them both of your email addresses. Then get the DS-3032 signed and scanned by your wife (you can do this now and have it ready) She can send it to you or send it directly when you have the case number. The key thing is all of your email correspondence after the optin need to have a subject line that starts GZOXXXXXXXX - Item being sent. And always include Petitioner and beneficiary email, name and birth dates as the first thing in the email. When you start sending the packages (I-864 and DS-230), Make the attachment name the case number - item (i.e. GZOXXXXXX - 2010 Tax Transcripts) So if anything ever gets separated from your file it always has a case number reference. May not help so much but certainly doesn't hurt.

Quick hit timeline:

Call NVC to get the GZU number and give email addresses

Send Optin Email with DS-3032

Pay the AOS fee and send I-864 packet.

Pay the IV fee and send the DS-230 packet. (be sure to include the barcoded coversheets in the packets.

Check after a few days to see that the fees are paid.

When you can no longer log in to the payment gateway that means your case is complete and in final review.

Here are the timeticks that darnell sent me. They are great for seeing where you are in the proces.

NVC Received CaseFile *

NVC Casefile Number Issued *

Request DS-3032 Kit from NVC *

IIN received via email from NVC, as part of AOS Fee Bill EMAIL.

OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC +

AOS FEE BILL PAID ONLINE &

AOS Fee Bill Marked Paid []

OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC

AOS CoverSheets Generated &

IV Fee Bill Showing as 'Payable' []

IV FEE BILL PAID ONLINE &

IV Fee Bill marked as PAID []

IV CoverSheets Generated &

AOS email packet sent +

IV email packet sent +

NVC reports 'Case Completed' *

'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal &

Final Review Started at NVC *

Final Review Completed at NVC *

Interview Date Set *

Appointment Letter Received via Email

Interview Date

====

legend

* - USCitizen must call, inquire

+ - Your or foreign Spouse send off via email.

& - YOU do this.

[] - Online Payment Portal Status thingie - you log in, eyeball review it.

====

Things that go together -

OPT IN Accepted and IV Fee Bill Available to be Paid Online - almost the same date.

NVC Reports 'Case Complete' and 'Sign In Fail' - almost same day.

====

Things that make you go angly and aquiverish -

--Sign in Fail

--Final Review Complete (as Interview Date Set will occur within 6 days)

--Interview Date Set (time to get busy - you have between 20 to 45 days to wrap up yer relationship evidence)

====

A Note on Relationship Evidence for Guangzhou-bound petitions -

Please review this, send more if you must, during DS-230 submittal time -

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/267559-usa-is-now-arizona/page__st__60__p__4100571#entry4100571

One last note. Be sure to do an updated Evolution of Relationship letter to have for the interview. The EOR is a big deal for Guangzhou. If you have previously been married and divorced. Write up an EOR letter for that marriage, especially if there was a visa petition involved. If you didn't include an EOR letter with youre I-130, now is your chance to include one.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.