birdman2010

Approved ok. What about transcripts & diploma translations?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Hi. Our K-1 visa was approved ok. She should be coming in two or three weeks. I know that sometimes the interviews can be hard, but her's was easy. I did preload the I-129F with a lot of stuff though. And the interviewer did want to see photos from my recent second visit.

Now we have a new question about her college transcripts and diploma. She wants to study to be a Chinese language teacher in the US. She is already an English teacher in China, but she didn't learn English from native English speakers. So she still needs to learn more.

She heard from a friend that it may be good to have her transcripts & diploma translated at the prefecture-level city (地级市) notary/translation office that is over her smaller hometown before she comes - translated into English by the government notary-translation office there.

It's true that for her birth certificate she had to go the prefecture-level city (地级市) to get it translated into English for the visa interview in Guangzhou. However, it's my understanding that for college transcripts and college diplomas, when they are to be used in the USA with US based colleges and universities, such institutions usually want transcripts translated by American-based certified translators here.

So my thought is that a new trip to the 地级市 (prefecture city) would be a waste of time for the transcripts and diploma translations, because universities & colleges in the USA won't accept such translations in any case. The colleges & universities here will still want the original Chinese documents to be translated by an American-based translation & evaluation service. Yes or no?

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Most college/university have a list on their webpage that tells you what translation company they accept. Nothing else will be accepted only what they list they accept. She will need to look up the places she wants to go to and see what they say. Gonna take a lot of research.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Most Universities will want translations and grade evaluations done here in the US, as they simply won't put much faith in the Chinese forms (at least that was our experience). If you go this route, then having it certified by notary in China is the best way to prevent the institutions from rejecting the translations. The university your fiancee wants to attend can help with this, and hopefully not give misinformation.

Now, in regards to teaching Chinese here in the US, is she wanting to teach at a secondary or post-secondary level? I ask this because there are many opportunities in good-sized cities for "language institutes." My wife has done this and charges $35/class/student. There are many well-off individuals who know that Chinese is a key language for the future and are willing to pay for excellent instruction. If there is no such type of program in your city, then start one...trust me, there are parents who CAN afford and WILL pay for a good teacher. Good luck! :thumbs:

Nov 6, 2009: "I had breakfast in Korea, lunch in Shanghai, and dinner in Chongqing...now I just need to find a squat toilet..."

K1 completion: 03-10-2010, PINK!!!(well..it's orangish)
POE: Chicago/ORD 05-21-2010
Married: 05-26-2010
AOS completion: 10-28-2010
ROC completion: 05-16-2013

Naturalized: 11-21-2014

Timeline

Oh, one more point that I would make in regards to your fiancee taking courses here. If she is planning on taking courses as supplement or getting a new degree, then she could indicate that she is a new student. Don't mention the degree that she earned in China and apply using only her high school level. Most schools won't ask for her grades translation and will simply have her take placement testing. Also to consider is that most Universities will require a TOEFL score for admission; community colleges usually have their own English assessment testing. On the face, someone might think I am suggesting some kind of fraud by telling you to ignore the Chinese university degree, which it is not unless she tries to obtain financial aid. This is just one idea to make the transition easier, you will still be paying for classes.

Nov 6, 2009: "I had breakfast in Korea, lunch in Shanghai, and dinner in Chongqing...now I just need to find a squat toilet..."

K1 completion: 03-10-2010, PINK!!!(well..it's orangish)
POE: Chicago/ORD 05-21-2010
Married: 05-26-2010
AOS completion: 10-28-2010
ROC completion: 05-16-2013

Naturalized: 11-21-2014

Timeline

This subject hits home with us. My wife has junior degree in english business or business english or some hoohaa, and achieved a bachelors in english. She became certified as a teacher in some odd subject that didnt even make sense, but i guess the headmaster just rounds out his staff by mumbo jumbo. She taught primary and middle school for 8 years mostly as an English teacher. fast forward to coming to USA.

So now even though she has a degree in english, her spoken english and desire to function opposite her experience of teaching english to chinese native speakers becomes teaching chinese to native english speakers :wacko: :wacko:

So after much research about accelerated teaching certifications, and looking for programs tailored for this type of person, we realized the hard economy hit foreign language programs really hard. No scholarship or private/ public funded teaching degree programs currently available.

The path we chose was she entered community college and took a total of about 35 credit hours of esl to boost her ability to take college level courses taught in english then proceed to attend ohio state university (where I work and receive 50% tuition and fee employee benefit thank you very much) in an intense masters of education and teaching certification program in foreign language that gets you all that and a bag of dumplings in one year.

The strange thing is since she did not major in chinese in undergrad, :bonk: she has to take 45 hours of chinese classes (no language obviously) in culture, literature, and other areas before she even qualifies to enter a program because again she is a native chinese speaker with teaching experience but since she is teaching foreign language to native english speakers it is the path she must take. :blink:

So now in the midst of taking the 45 hours of prerequisites then hopefully qualifying for the masters program, while in the meantime switching from quarters to semesters, with any light at the end of the long dark tunnel, how can she get a teaching job when in this economy every school is laying off experienced teachers and staff and cutting everything?

Any advice or steps where she can maybe even work in the field now to get a leg up would be appreciated.

Oh by the way, She is able to enter OSU under continuing education non-degree status so transcripts, TOFL, or even past grades are not a factor. She must establish history now as she studies to move into mainstream status.

Somethings to think about and maybe having a network here would be nice

Thanks!

Edited by Dan & Juan

USA NATURALIZATION CITIZEN :-------------------------------------------------------
08-13-2014 - N-400 mailed priority Phoenix lockbox
08-1x-2014 - N-400 package accepted

08-20-2014 - Check cashed

09-xx-2014 - NOA bio-metrics appointment

09-18-2014 - Bio-metrics appointment Columbus office

09-22-2014 - NOA letter scheduled interview 10-30-2014

10-30-2014 - Naturalization interview and test Columbus Ohio office.

Application changed to five year as mark reached while waiting for interview

Passed civic test and interview recommends approval !!!

10-30-2014 - NOA hand letter stating recommendation for approval and wait for letter of approval and oath
11-13-2014 - Case Status updated "We scheduled your oath ceremony"

11-14-2014 - NOA letter final interview and oath Tuesday 11-25-2014

11-25-2014 - Final red tape and oath ceremony Columbus, Ohio Officially a US Citizen!!!

- Applied US Passport at local post office

08-2016 - Received 10 year Q2 visa to visit China as a US citizen

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi. Our K-1 visa was approved ok. She should be coming in two or three weeks. I know that sometimes the interviews can be hard, but her's was easy. I did preload the I-129F with a lot of stuff though. And the interviewer did want to see photos from my recent second visit.

Now we have a new question about her college transcripts and diploma. She wants to study to be a Chinese language teacher in the US. She is already an English teacher in China, but she didn't learn English from native English speakers. So she still needs to learn more.

She heard from a friend that it may be good to have her transcripts & diploma translated at the prefecture-level city (地级市) notary/translation office that is over her smaller hometown before she comes - translated into English by the government notary-translation office there.

It's true that for her birth certificate she had to go the prefecture-level city (地级市) to get it translated into English for the visa interview in Guangzhou. However, it's my understanding that for college transcripts and college diplomas, when they are to be used in the USA with US based colleges and universities, such institutions usually want transcripts translated by American-based certified translators here.

So my thought is that a new trip to the 地级市 (prefecture city) would be a waste of time for the transcripts and diploma translations, because universities & colleges in the USA won't accept such translations in any case. The colleges & universities here will still want the original Chinese documents to be translated by an American-based translation & evaluation service. Yes or no?

Thanks.

My wife had all her important documents you listed, officially notarized, translated so she was ready to go. Tried to get her into Community College here AZ they wanted $ 1,000 because he has not been here a year, she told them to forget it.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

My wife was also originally not classified as resident for tuition reduction but I just made an appointment with an administrator and had to bring in info proving only 2 things. My status as a resident and proof of our marriage. At least in Ohio marrying an established resident automatically grants her resident for purpose of tuition rate. I am always looking for the BBD ( bigger better deal) or angle and it was worth a little research. Juan ended up taking almost 40 quarter hours and the price was very reasonable at resident rate of 79 per credit hour

USA NATURALIZATION CITIZEN :-------------------------------------------------------
08-13-2014 - N-400 mailed priority Phoenix lockbox
08-1x-2014 - N-400 package accepted

08-20-2014 - Check cashed

09-xx-2014 - NOA bio-metrics appointment

09-18-2014 - Bio-metrics appointment Columbus office

09-22-2014 - NOA letter scheduled interview 10-30-2014

10-30-2014 - Naturalization interview and test Columbus Ohio office.

Application changed to five year as mark reached while waiting for interview

Passed civic test and interview recommends approval !!!

10-30-2014 - NOA hand letter stating recommendation for approval and wait for letter of approval and oath
11-13-2014 - Case Status updated "We scheduled your oath ceremony"

11-14-2014 - NOA letter final interview and oath Tuesday 11-25-2014

11-25-2014 - Final red tape and oath ceremony Columbus, Ohio Officially a US Citizen!!!

- Applied US Passport at local post office

08-2016 - Received 10 year Q2 visa to visit China as a US citizen

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

My experience with Chinese documents and universities in the u.s.:

1. The "company" that the university uses will want to translate it... or they will just accept it as is if the original has English on it (We experienced both)

2. Most states allow your wife or son etc to "ride" on your residence status for tuition purposes.

3. Although most universities will accept the credits for general hours... you are going to have a hell of a time applying anything related to your major. My wife was forced to retake marketing, business environment, etc just for her OUT OF CONCENTRATION.... let alone her major hours. Although the university did accept it for general hours (lol she has almost 150 hours for a B.S. now)

4. Even though her English is super good... she still has problems from time to time so you better be ready to help out all the time even if your master thesis is due next week...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.