Ashlyn&Grevin

Previous Visa Tries

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

My fiance and I are currently trying for a K-1 visa. Prior to filing we had attempted twice to get a visitors visa for him to come visit me in the US and both were denied. For the first visitor visa I went with him and we were upfront and honest about our relationship. The second time his company was asking for him to come to the US for training but due to his previous interview with me and him confirming that we had an ongoing relationship it was denied again. Now as we are waiting for an interview date I am becoming more and more worried that these previous visa tries could affect the decision on the K-1 visa. Am I being silly for worrying?

My fiance and I are currently trying for a K-1 visa. Prior to filing we had attempted twice to get a visitors visa for him to come visit me in the US and both were denied. For the first visitor visa I went with him and we were upfront and honest about our relationship. The second time his company was asking for him to come to the US for training but due to his previous interview with me and him confirming that we had an ongoing relationship it was denied again. Now as we are waiting for an interview date I am becoming more and more worried that these previous visa tries could affect the decision on the K-1 visa. Am I being silly for worrying?

I don't have experience with this type of situation personally. But it appears that your previous visa attempts were denied based on the fact that the consulate thought that your fiance may intend to immigrate to the US and not just visit. With this petition the intent is clear that he does want to immigrate, so I don't think there is a reason to deny him based on that. I would provide as much information possible at the interview concerning the previous visa attempts. I would think that they would understand the previous attempts and see now that you two are doing what you need to to be together. I would recommend providing lots and lots of proof concerning the validity of your relationship, because they may be under the impression that he is just desperate to get to the US. All in all just try hard not to allow them to question your relationship in anyway.

I hope this helps in some way and I wish you two the best of luck.

12-27-2010: I-129F arrived at USCIS sent packet on 12/23

12-29-2010: Notice date on NOA1

12-31-2010: Check cleared

01-02-2011: NOA1 received via SMS & E-Mail

01-06-2011: NOA1 hardcopy received via USPS[/color]

2-17-2011:Touched

04/12/2011:NOA2!!!!!

4-18-11: Received by NVC

4-20-11: Left NVC

4-24-11: Received by the consulate in Abu Dhabi

4-27-11:Received both packet 3 & 4 via e-mail from Abu Dhabi

7-25-11:Interview date-Administrative Processing

8-3-11:Administrative Processing ended - APPROVED!!!!!! :D

8-25-11:POE-SFO

9-10-11:Married!!!

9-26-11:Sent AOS Packet

10-6-11:Received NOA1s via text and E-mail

10-9-11:NOA1 hardcopies received, along with biometrics appointment letter

10-25-11:Biometrics Appointment

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Previous visa denials can impact the decision in the sense that it looks like he is doing whatever it takes to get to the US. Like, "Ok, I didn't get my visitor visa so now I'm going to try and marry someone and see if that works." He was denied the visitor visa because one can't obtain a visitor visa for any other reason than to visit the other country and leave. As soon as they know you are involved with each other, the intent of simply being a tourist is gone and it's apparent that his intent was not to be a tourist, but to stay permanently. You have a legitimate reason to worry, but if you've done a good job with gathering evidence and are honest with everything from here on out, you should be OK. Good luck to you and don't lose hope! There are many others with this same question and there is no set standard for whether you will be approved or denied. I've read a lot of stories on here and heard of people with past criminal records, illegal entry, drug problems, etc. getting approved with no problem. They also have waivers for people that might have something sketchy in their past, but they might qualify to have that event waived.

Edited by mugumogu

K-1 Visa
04-29-2011: I-129F Sent
05-05-2011: I-129F NOA1
07-18-2011: I-129F NOA2
08-08-2011: NVC Received
08-09-2011: NVC Left
08-10-2011: Consulate Received
08-26-2011: Consulate mailed Packet 3 (invitation letter)
09-01-2011: Packet 3 (invitation letter) Received in US
09-10-2011: Packet 3 (invitation letter) Received in Mexico
09-22-2011: Interview: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10-04-2011: DHL Waybill number appears in the afternoon
10-05-2011: Picked up visa from DHL office
11-08-2011: POE Houston, Texas
11-19-2011: Married!

AOS
12-06-2011: Applied for Social Security Number
12-08-2011: AOS package sent (I-485, I-765, I-131, and supporting docs)
12-12-2011: Received Social Security Number and card in the mail
12-20-2011: Received NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-131
01-06-2012: Completed ASC appointment
02-02-2012: Received appointment notice for AOS interview on March 1, 2012
03-01-2012: Green card interview: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03-10-2012: Green card received

ROC

12-27-2013: I-751 Sent

01-02-2014: Received NOA1 for I-751

01-24-2014: Completed ASC appointment

04-01-2014: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (no interview)

CITIZENSHIP

11-14-2016: N-400 Sent

05-19-2017: Naturalization interview:  APPROVED!!!!!!!

06-28-2017: Citizenship ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Well at that point in time his intent wasn't to immigrate it was to continue our relationship. We didn't want to jump the gun and assume that things were going to work out so we took it slow. We tried explaining to them that at that time we were just wanting him to have a visa to be able to come and visit me because I was looking at possibly going on deployment. We will continue to gather strong evidence to prove our relationship is legit.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.