raindrop

!!! Getting married, in his coutry... HELP!!!

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all!

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place, but here is my problem.

We are getting married in Hungary. I have dual-citizenship, US and Hungarian. I was told I would have to get married as a Hungarian citizen and then go to the US Embassy to file all the paperwork.

Here is the questions and problems...

Apparently I need some type of Hungarian SS type number, or least I'm assuming that's what it is, before a civil marriage can take place. That which can take months to process. I'm divorced, which complicates it more. We were told all documents need to be translated, etc..., and that process can take up to 6 months.

We were told we can get married somewhere else in Europe, say Austria, and then take our paperwork to the Embassy. Or we can go directly to the US Embassy in Hungary and get married. My fear and question is that if we did this, would I be marrying as a US citizen or Hungarian one? If I were to marry as a US citizen, wouldn't the paperwork take longer? (Marrying in Hungary as Hungarian citizen would take 1-2 months of processing) Would marrying outside of either one of our country of origins complicate things?

Please help!! I'm confused!! I'm not sure what is the best thing for us to do.

Thank you!!!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It sounds to me like you nee to nail down the best place for the two of you to marry. I know that in many of the European countries, it can take a long, paperwork-intensive time to get married.

What would the rules be if you married as a USC---didn't bring up the Hungarian citizenship issue at all? Would it be any easier?

It also should not add any complication to marry in another country... many couples have so called destination weddings, where they go elsewhere and marry. As long as you have certified, legal copy of (or moer) of your marriage certificate and its translation into English, and you are legally married, that's that. I know Gibralter is one place that can be fast and easy to marry in.

I don't think you can marry in the US Embassy---most of the Embassy websites state something to that effect, so check yours.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Thanks for the reply!

We are in the process of trying to figure out where the best place to marry would be.

They have me listed in their system somewhere I'm sure, so I wouldn't want any problems by not stating I am a Hungarian citizen as well. :-/

I'll have to check. I thought we could get married at the Embassy. I didn't see anything on the website stating that we could or couldn't.

Thanks!

Timeline
Thanks for the reply!

We are in the process of trying to figure out where the best place to marry would be.

They have me listed in their system somewhere I'm sure, so I wouldn't want any problems by not stating I am a Hungarian citizen as well. :-/

I'll have to check. I thought we could get married at the Embassy. I didn't see anything on the website stating that we could or couldn't.

Thanks!

No, I don't see it stated explicitly on their website (quick look) but I know in Greece for example, their page on marriage does say so.. and from reading Hungary's page, I'm led to the same conclusion: you can not get married at the Embassy.

The rules don't look overly onorous:http://budapest.usembassy.gov/marriage.html and it looks like if you get organized you could have it done in 6 weeks or so.

I can't imagine what would be wrong with presenting yourself as an American citizen, but you might snoop around the ACS part of that website and see what you turn up.. they do have some info on dual US/Hungarian citz. If you don't turn up anything specific, you could contact the Consulate and ask, or find a local lawyer who might know.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Ugh!

It just seems so complicated!

If we were to marry in Hungary, we'd have to do so in his county. Those we have been dealing with have been giving us the run around. THey are the only one's to speak to. One person, in particular. She says I need some kind of SS# or something of their equivalent and says by me being divorced gives us more complications, that the processing time would be at least 6 months!

I'd like to get organized, it's why I write here. I'm just confused as to what we need exactly in order to do so. The websites state the standard, birth certificate, divorced documents, etc. But what about having the actual physical civil ceremony? What do we need for that?

What does ACS stand for?

Thanks again! I really appreciate it!!

Timeline
Ugh!

It just seems so complicated!

If we were to marry in Hungary, we'd have to do so in his county. Those we have been dealing with have been giving us the run around. THey are the only one's to speak to. One person, in particular. She says I need some kind of SS# or something of their equivalent and says by me being divorced gives us more complications, that the processing time would be at least 6 months!

I'd like to get organized, it's why I write here. I'm just confused as to what we need exactly in order to do so. The websites state the standard, birth certificate, divorced documents, etc. But what about having the actual physical civil ceremony? What do we need for that?

What does ACS stand for?

Thanks again! I really appreciate it!!

ACS= American Citizen Services. They are part of the Consulate in Hungary to help USCs with life in Hungary. They have an extensive list of resources on their page in the website.

Since you are in the US right now, you might have more luck getting details through the Hungarian Consulate here in the US. We went thru this in Greece, and yes, the local officials can be a right pain in the tootie. And, you have no choice: you have to deal with them. That said, I do not see anything that looks overly complicated in their requriements. Just remember that it is all new to you.. give it a couple of days to start to come together for you and you do NOT have to make a move today.

http://www.kum.hu/newyork/consular3.htm#Marriage

http://www.hungaryemb.org/New%20Consular/C...azassagkulf.htm

I got those by googling 'how to marry in hungary'. I suggest you do the same, and look for others who may have been in your situation for some guidance.

The civil ceremony (which is the only legally recognized one) might be held in the Town Hall or equivilant.

I just searched the old forums for +hungary + marry and returned the following results.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums2/index.p...=hungary++marry

The last one might be the best.. check it out.

Ignore the clerk in the office that he's been talking to, ofr now. Approach this as if you are a US citizen only and see what you learn.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Thank you so much!!! You guys are awesome here! You provide more info then anyone else, even thought that's supposed to be their job!

I think my best bet may be to talk to some of those who posted some time ago or have maybe gone through the process. At least for now!

Thank you !!!!! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.