ageconomist

Do I need a travel visa to Canada while my green card is being renewed?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I want to find out if I need a travel visa to Canada when my green card is being renewed. I hold a Malaysian passport, which per the Canada immigration website, requires a travel visa.

But it is my understanding that a travel visa is not required because I am a U.S. permanent resident, even though I'm waiting for my renewed green card. I have the "NOA" letter which state the expired green card is extended for a year. Is this right?

Thanks.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi,

I want to find out if I need a travel visa to Canada when my green card is being renewed. I hold a Malaysian passport, which per the Canada immigration website, requires a travel visa.

But it is my understanding that a travel visa is not required because I am a U.S. permanent resident, even though I'm waiting for my renewed green card. I have the "NOA" letter which state the expired green card is extended for a year. Is this right?

Thanks.

khlim,

take an infopass appointment at your nearest USCIS office and bring with you your passport,your expired green card and your notice of action regarding your pending I-751. They will stamp your passport with an I-551 stamp valid for one year from the date mentioned on your NOA. You can then travel internationally - I'd bring with me also the expired green card together with the passport with the I-551 stamp at the Canadian border..you never know you might run into a picky officer.

Filed: Timeline

I went to canada by land during july 4 while green card was being renewed. only the following documents are required. Passport, expired green card, and noa 1 letter stating ur green card has been extended. the officers are really nice and they understand and will have no problem.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Thanks for the reply, Max and Mayan, it was helpful. I don't think I'll bother with the entry visa then, it seems like the Canadian immigration recognize the NOA.

Hi khlim,

I would suggest you to print out the page from the Canadian CBP page where it states that, to avoid problems. I'm telling you this cause my fiancèe's aunt 3 years ago was having problems cause the Canadian officer didn't want to let her in and she had a valid 10 yrs green card,saying it wasn't enough..can you believe that? Luckly she was travelling with her husband (US citizen) so he let them go. Sometimes there's always the chance to run into the random incompetent,so better to be prepared cause being right without proof sometimes can be annoying with certain people. Have a great trip hey! :thumbs:

Edited by Max1gk

Hi khlim,

I would suggest you to print out the page from the Canadian CBP page where it states that, to avoid problems. I'm telling you this cause my fiancèe's aunt 3 years ago was having problems cause the Canadian officer didn't want to let her in and she had a valid 10 yrs green card,saying it wasn't enough..can you believe that? Luckly she was travelling with her husband (US citizen) so he let them go. Sometimes there's always the chance to run into the random incompetent,so better to be prepared cause being right without proof sometimes can be annoying with certain people. Have a great trip hey! :thumbs:

That is so true. Sometimes Canadian Customs officers are not aware of their own policies so it's always prudent to bring a print-out of the "policy" that applies to you to let them read it.

I was still living in Canada while traveling to/from US/Canada. I didn't need a new/current Canadian visa to re-enter Canada as long as my study permit was valid and my travel was only to/from the US (and some particular US territories). I had no problem with the Canadian Customs officer in Calgary but had to go to secondary screening after another trip where I landed @ YVR. The Vancouver Customs officer at secondary screening had no clue at all about their "rule" so it was a good thing that I had a print out of it for her to read and learn. She spent a long time looking at it (and even asked me when it was printed) and going to another office to read more about it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.