Dan Nguyen

Property in Vietnam

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello,

We're planning on leaving for the U.S. this Sept. My wife own a house. Is there any paperwork she needs to do before departing so the government won't claim the house? Not sure how this works....

Thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello,

We're planning on leaving for the U.S. this Sept. My wife own a house. Is there any paperwork she needs to do before departing so the government won't claim the house? Not sure how this works....

Thanks.

Does she have the "red paper" for her house? If not then make sure she gets it before she leaves, and gives it to a family member in VN. If possible, she should try to keep the house occupied while she's gone. Let a family member move in, or consider renting it out. If she leaves it vacant then the government can seize it. I'm not sure what the time limit is for this. Phuong's uncle lost his house less than six months after moving to the US, but she has other family members who have kept ownership of their homes for many years.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Does she have the "red paper" for her house? If not then make sure she gets it before she leaves, and gives it to a family member in VN. If possible, she should try to keep the house occupied while she's gone. Let a family member move in, or consider renting it out. If she leaves it vacant then the government can seize it. I'm not sure what the time limit is for this. Phuong's uncle lost his house less than six months after moving to the US, but she has other family members who have kept ownership of their homes for many years.

She doesn't have the red book. She only has the family registration book (Sổ Hồ Khẩu}. The land her house is on belongs to her parents. Having the house occupied is not a problem since they live next door.

I guess she should apply for the red book but people here are saying it will cost about $500 USD to get one which seems a bit much to me.

Timeline

She doesn't have the red book. She only has the family registration book (Sổ Hồ Khẩu}. The land her house is on belongs to her parents. Having the house occupied is not a problem since they live next door.

I guess she should apply for the red book but people here are saying it will cost about $500 USD to get one which seems a bit much to me.

$500 is a little too much but it is better than losing the house altogether

Timeline

this is not an either/or...wouldn't she have to get the red book sooner or later anyway? why not just do that while she's still there to minimize the complications? the cost of our red book was $100+ over 2 years ago, but this wasn't prime saigon property don't know if cost varies by location. i'd suggest you use the "expedited" method so it would take a couple weeks instead of months.

K-1, CRBA, AOS, GC

Filed: Timeline

If you don't want to risk losing the house, then do the most that you can to protect yourself. Have family, friends, or renters move in. Get the red book.

You are in the best position to protect your interests.

Is $500 to much to protect losing a home? Do you know of any US homeowner who doesn't pay at least that in home insurance to protect his/her home? I pay $1000 in insurance every year to protect my home. Isn't paying $500 to protect your wife's home worth it?

--------------------------

As one Vietnamese person to another; I know our people don't like wasting money and generally we bargain for everything. This is not the time to be cheap. Pay it and protect yourself.

Timeline

Have her get it now. It will be impossible to get it if she's in the US. Phuong went through this with her house. None of her family were able to get it for her. If she tries to get it after moving to the US, and they discover she's not living there (e.g., she's got a green card) then she could lose the house on the spot. Nobody really "owns" a home in a communist country.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I was amazed at how many abandoned buildings and factories I saw along the new highways they are building throughout the country... I can only wonder if any have been seized by the government.

Its best to get the paperwork done before she leaves and to be sure that there is someone present about the property on a regular basis. The government is not looking for property to takeover, but if there is a neighbor that wants that house and has the right connections it could become an issue really fast after she leaves..

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: Timeline

I agree with everyone else, get the red book. The cost is supposed to be based on how much your piece of land is worth, so it all depends on location, location, location. My uncle has a house in HCMC and it was roughly $13,000 (USD) for his because it was 3 plot of land that his house sits on. $500 doesn't sound too crazy to me.

That's the price for being a "Viet Kieu" and worshiping that red communist flag in your displaying logo!

Edit to add: call 1-800-BacHo and complain! The President will be very much interested in your input on how to improve the way they're running that country.

Edited by Hot Vit Lon

Timeline

That's the price for being a "Viet Kieu" and worshiping that red communist flag in your displaying logo!

Edit to add: call 1-800-BacHo and complain! The President will be very much interested in your input on how to improve the way they're running that country.

What price are you talking about? This is my wife's house, not mine. I've been living in Vietnam for the last two years and haven't had to pay any price for being a Viet Kieu.

Why don't you come here and call 1-800-BacHo and complain. See what the President think about your comment?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

What price are you talking about? This is my wife's house, not mine. I've been living in Vietnam for the last two years and haven't had to pay any price for being a Viet Kieu.

Why don't you come here and call 1-800-BacHo and complain. See what the President think about your comment?

:thumbs:

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.