bigtex26

I-130 Time: How to write Mexican last names

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm filling out my I-130 and there seem to be a few things I'm not clear of:

C. They're asking me for Relative's name:(my wife) [Family name] [First] [Middle]

However, in Mexico they use their First Name, Father's Last name(Apellido Paterno), then Mother's Last Name(Apellido Materno).

How should I fill out her name on the I-130?

10. Question 10: "Alien Registration Number" - I don't have one because I'm a USC and use my Social #. But my .PDF form that I'm filling out won't let me put in N/A - just numbers. Should I just print this out and write N/A in? Also running into this problem with "Dates of Prior Marriage Ended." Seems obvious to write this in after I print it, but wanted to check here to make sure.

17. Question 17: "List husband/wife and all the children of your relative" - So, since I'm her husband, should I list myself here? Or is it assumed that I'm her husband from the above statement.

21. Question 21: "If filling for your husband/wife, give last address at which you lived together." - We lived together in the same house, but not in the context of a married couple. At the time I was living with her we were just acquaintances - it was only after I left Mexico that we started to date and subsequently were married. I know I could just put down that we lived together during that time - but It wouldn't make sense with my relationship timeline of her and I. So should I just leave this blank (N/A)?

22. Question 22: "Complete the information below if your relative is in the US and will apply for adjustment of status. Your relative is in the US and will apply for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident at the USCIS office in: (CITY)(STATE). If your relative is not eligible for adjustment of status, he or she will apply for a visa abroad at the American consular post in:"

- okay, its obvious to me that I would state here that she will be applying for a visa at the American consulate in Mexico as she is not eligible for AOS at the moment. HOWEVER, the question clearly states that I should only complete this question if my relative is in the US and will apply for AOS - See how the second part of the question applies to me, but the first part of the question excludes me from the entire #22 question.

Thank you so much in advance!

• June 2010 ~ Met
  • July 4, 201142.gif ~ Married
    USCIS
  • August 1, 2011 ~ I-130 Sent
  • August 4, 2011 ~ I-130 Package Received
  • August 8, 2011 ~ NOA1 Receipt
  • February 24, 2012 ~ NOA2 Receipt
    NVC
  • March 9, 2012 ~ Received Case #
  • March 13, 2012 ~ DS-261 Signed
  • March 14, 2012 ~ AOS Bill Paid
  • March 22, 2012 ~ IV Bill Paid
  • March 26, 2012 ~ NVC Case Complete
    CONSULATE
  • May 16, 2012 ~ Interview Date - Ciudad Juarez, Mexico
  • May 19, 2012 ~ Point of Entry into El Paso, TX, U.S.A.
  • June 4, 2012 ~ Green Card arrived in the mail

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Wow, well the only answer I'm sure of is C: How to write the latin american name.

You write First Name, Middle Name(traditionally there isn't one), and Paternal Maternal Last Name together (they call it "compound last name")

Example: Juan Cruz Gonzales or Senor Cruz in Mexico becomes Juan Cruz-Gonzales or Mr. Cruz-Gonzales in the U.S.

I asked the same question here and was given the wrong answer many times over! DO NOT put the maternal name as the middle name like we did!!! (ex Juan G. Cruz) It backed up our SS# 6 weeks and we had to change the way we filled everything out for the AOS (from K-1). Luckily we caught the problem... The SS office says the name needs to be "exactly how it appears on the passport" and to them that is a compound last name.

I wish I could help you more but we used the I-129F for the K-1 (fiance)visa. Though your status says K-1 I think you are actually doing the CR-1/IR-1 (marriage)visa, right?

I-129F

NOA1- August 23,2010

NOA2- January 24, 2011 (NOA1-NOA2: 154 days)

NVC Receive- January 31, 2011

NVC Sent- February 1, 2011

Consulate Receive- February 3, 2011

Consulate Sent Packet 3- March 10, 2011 (CDJ Receive-Packet 3 sent: 35 days)

Receive Packet 3 in U.S.- March 21, 2011

ASC Appointment- March 23, 2011

Interview- March 24, 2011

Crossed into the U.S.- April 7, 2011

A.O.S.

I-485 in the mail- June 14, 2011

I-485 received at Chicago Lockbox- June 16, 2011

NOA1- June 17, 2011

event.png

C. You may list both last names, as it is shown on her personal documents. That's what I did for my husband. Family name:Fathers last name Mothers last name First:first name Middle: middle name

10. Yes, you can fill it by hand. I had to for country name because it was so long it didn't fit.

17. Yes you list yourself as her husband.

21. You may, not everyone has lived with their SO before filing I-130. I stayed with my husband for 2 months vacation time when we got married so I put that in as living with him even if it was only 2 months.

22. This question then does not apply to you.

p.s Make sure that you update your profile, it states that you are filing for a K-1. This will help others who want to help you.

wuha.jpgdU2lm5.png

N400 Mailed: 12/09/2016

Priority Date: 12/13/2016

Biometrics Appmt: 01/13/17

Wow, well the only answer I'm sure

I asked the same question here and was given the wrong answer many times over! DO NOT put the maternal name as the middle name like we did!!!

Exactly, if her name is Ana Maria Perez Mendez then

Family name: Perez Mendez

First name: Ana

Second Name: Maria

wuha.jpgdU2lm5.png

N400 Mailed: 12/09/2016

Priority Date: 12/13/2016

Biometrics Appmt: 01/13/17

We did it a little differently: my husband used his father's last name as his family name and on the line where it asks for Other Names Used he wrote in his First, Middle, father's last name and mother's last name. Now on all his American documents it's just First Name, Middle Name, Last Name (1), with his second-last name dropped.

yeMBfha.jpg

Timeline

Okay, I think I got this right...

Her full name looks like this: Maria Celadonia Vargas Garcia. (Her first name is both Maria Celadonia - Her father's name: Vargas - and her mothers name: Garcia.)

Now when I fill her name in on the I-130 I'll go with:

FAMILY: Vargas Garcia

FIRST: Maria Celadonia

MIDDLE: N/A

Should this be okay? I'm not too concerned with whether or not they use her first name correctly, I just don't want them to look back at her passport or marriage certificate and say they don't match up.

• June 2010 ~ Met
    USCIS
    NVC
    CONSULATE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Okay, I think I got this right...

Her full name looks like this: Maria Celadonia Vargas Garcia. (Her first name is both Maria Celadonia - Her father's name: Vargas - and her mothers name: Garcia.)

Now when I fill her name in on the I-130 I'll go with:

FAMILY: Vargas Garcia

FIRST: Maria Celadonia

MIDDLE: N/A

Should this be okay? I'm not too concerned with whether or not they use her first name correctly, I just don't want them to look back at her passport or marriage certificate and say they don't match up.

Family- Vargas Garcia

First- Maria

Middle- Celadonia

We just came thru Juares on K1 fiancee visa with 2 kids & this how the name thing works!

Timeline

Family- Vargas Garcia

First- Maria

Middle- Celadonia

We just came thru Juares on K1 fiancee visa with 2 kids & this how the name thing works!

Awesome, thank you so much!

And thanks to everyone who helped out above - all my questions were answered!

• June 2010 ~ Met
    USCIS
    NVC
    CONSULATE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.